none
running setup.exe from Windows PE RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to create a custom boot image to deploy Windows from a WDS server. I've downloaded the ADK and created a Windows PE 5 boot image. The instructions on this page say to run setup.exe with the /unattend option to deploy windows. However, when there is no setup.exe in the Windows PE boot image so when I run setup it just says 'setup is not recognized as an internal or external command.'

What am I missing?

Thanks
    Kent

Saturday, December 14, 2013 3:42 PM

Answers

• I figured it out on my own. The documentation was no help. I needed to install 2 additional packages to my WinPE boot image: WinPE-Setup and WinPE-Setup-Client. Then I installed the language packs for those packages as well. Finally, I had to pull the lang.ini file off the Windows installation DVD and put it in my boot image. I hope that helps someone else. Seriously Microsoft, fix your documentation.

Here's blog from a Microsoft employee that is very helpful. Even he admits that the documentation is flawed.
    http://devhawk.net/2011/05/19/build-your-own-wds-discovery-image/

Thanks, Kent

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 2:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems that something missing during your setup.

Please refer to this guide to deploy system with ADK.

Basic Windows Deployment Step-by-Step Guide

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825212.aspx

This guide uses the tools included in the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK). This includes Windows System Image Manager (Windows SIM), the Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management tool (DISM), and Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE). In addition to the tools that this guide describes, other tools are available in the Windows ADK that you can use to prepare your organization for migrating to Windows 8 and Windows 8.1

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 9:26 AM
    Owner
  • I figured it out on my own. The documentation was no help. I needed to install 2 additional packages to my WinPE boot image: WinPE-Setup and WinPE-Setup-Client. Then I installed the language packs for those packages as well. Finally, I had to pull the lang.ini file off the Windows installation DVD and put it in my boot image. I hope that helps someone else. Seriously Microsoft, fix your documentation.

Here's blog from a Microsoft employee that is very helpful. Even he admits that the documentation is flawed.
    http://devhawk.net/2011/05/19/build-your-own-wds-discovery-image/

Thanks, Kent

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 2:09 PM
  • Hey Kent,

I am trying to boot Windows unattended from an answer file. For this I booted into PE and when I use setup it says the same thing i.e "Setup is not recognized as an internal or external command". The link you have provided above is not active. Please let me know the process in getting this to work or any other ways that'll help me to get to the solution of this.

Thanks, SkyWalker

Friday, August 16, 2019 10:35 PM