none
Improper work of Win7's Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20) driver

General discussion

• My mobo is Gigabyte EX58-UD4P with RTL8111D onboard.
    I've installed Win7 RC. All mobo peripheral devices have been captured by Win7's drivers (it's very nice!).
    Then I've connected network cable to D-Link DI-524UP router. Connection has been established at right 100 Mb/s, but Orange LED (of RJ-45 jack) hasn't been lighted up for designating connection state, only Green LED was blinking on data transfer.
    I've tried to download large amount of data from local network at full speed. This has produced a very audiable high-frequency peep (noise), that was sourcing from mobo.
    Then I've connected network cable to notebook with a 1 Gb/s capable network adapter, but connection has been established at 100 Mb/s.
    Then I've run WinUpdate applet, which suggested me an update to Realtek RTL8168B/8111B network adapters (while I have 8111D!). I've accepted a suggestion. After driver update network card has stopped to work.
    Then I've downloaded and installed driver (ver. 6.222.504.2009) from Realtek web site (but for Vista x64) - all things (work of LEDs, connection at 1 Gb/s) became right.

P.S.
    In Shutdown submenu of Start menu there is only one item for suspend - Sleep, which does an improper (on my mind) action - saving current state to HDD (like suspend-to-disk). This action was done by Hybernate item in previous Windows versions. How can I reach exactly Sleep mode for QUICK suspend/resume to/from RAM?
    Power managment type at BIOS is configured for S3-STR, and "powercfg /a" tells that my machine is capable to use S3 power state.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 11:49 AM

All replies

• I noticed this problem as well....

My Hardware
        System Manufacturer    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model    EP45T-UD3LR
    System Type    X86-based PC
    Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E8400  @ 3.00GHz, 2667 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date    Award Software International, Inc. F5, 24/02/2009
    SMBIOS Version    2.4
    Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.1.7100.0"
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    4.00 GB
    Version    6.1.7100 Build 7100
    OS Name    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Windows 7 detects the Motherboard accurately....installing the following ethernet driver....
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
    Description: Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
    Version : 6.209.917.2008
    The windows update suggest that we install

Realtek - Network - Realtek RTL8168B/8111B Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
    Download size: 68 KB
    You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.
    Update type: Optional
    DriverUpdate: Realtek Network software update released in June, 2007
    More information:
    http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20067296
    Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub

Upon installation you will find the version is only 6.1 and the ethernet will not work...

SImply use system restore to revert to a point before this update was installed....

From Realteks website
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

There is a windows 7 driver available....but installation is manual...you need to extract the files and navigate to the folder -- I am testing this now will update when I have it working

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:10 AM
  • i had the same problem with a Gigabyte motherboard. So have two co-workers.

Had to delete the updated driver and use the one that originally ships with Windows.

And yet the driver update is still sitting on Windows Update, after 2 months.
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 11:48 AM
  • Hi Basprog Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals

Could you post a attach image showing the device manager of your say rig??
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 12:24 PM
    Answerer
  • I dont know who you are, but you a genius. Thanks alot bro, you saved my life
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 8:30 AM
  • Is the driver still on Windows Update.

Or has Microsoft removed that booby trap?

( . Y . )
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 1:48 AM
  • I am seeing the same with GA-EX58-UD4(rev. 1.0). Windows (tested with 7 and Home Server) wrongly recognizes the chip as B version (instead of proper D version). Not sure who is to blame - Windows or mobo but it seems more like Windows has to be fixed.

Miha Markic [MVP C#] http://blog.rthand.com
    Tuesday, July 06, 2010 8:06 AM