none
DPM 2019 Installtin error RRS feed

• Question

• I am installting DPM 2019 but it is throwing error: My environment : Remote SQL server installed 2017 SQL version 

Error: 

SQL Server Management Tools are not installed on this machine. Please install SQL Tools compatible with the installed SQL Server version.

I tried with SSMS setup 16.5.3 , 16.5 and 18 but nothing worked out? any idea?

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 3:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Try the SQL Server Management Studio version 17.9.1, make sure you install it on the DPM server.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by purushottam151 Wednesday, September 4, 2019 1:10 AM
    Tuesday, September 3, 2019 8:11 PM
  • Great. Thanks a lot, it worked out. 

This would be helpful if some folks plan to install DPM 2019 on DPM Server, 

I have 2 VM on azure running windows OS 2016, one VM for Remote SQL server where I installed 2017 SQL Developers edition and prep the SQL for DPM too. On DPM server, I tried to install DPM 2019, however I got the error as below:

'' SQL Server Management Tools are not installed on this machine. Please install SQL Tools compatible with the installed SQL Server version.''

Then, I spent most of time to get the help from MSDN and other places, some are saying DPM 2016 onwards require ssms setup 16.5.3 or earlier version, then I tried using SSMS 16.5.3, 16.5 and 18 version but nothing worked out and I am struggling a lot then I post my issue on forums and finally Mr. Leon Laude said go with SSMS 17.9.1 and I did the same which resolved my issue. I saved a lot of time and very happy. 

THanks a lot Leon..

I have still some quiesiton? How do we know which SSMS setup it required for DPM? 

- I have been looking what DPM can support? Azure IAAS DPM can not support on- prem workload and each DPM can have max workload of 120TB ? Also Linux Vm running on Azure are not supported as DPM agent is not available for Linux box? 

- To protect On- prem workload , need to configure the on- prem DPM work load? 

I just wanted to confirm all my finding above and any other things to know ? 

THanks

• Marked as answer by purushottam151 Wednesday, September 4, 2019 12:41 PM
    Wednesday, September 4, 2019 1:03 AM
  • Great to hear!

Yes these limitations are correct and true:

DPM uses Modern Backup Storage and to backup more than 120TB of data, you will need to install additional DPM servers.

For backing up on-prem workloads you will have to install an DPM on-premises.

Linux VMs can only be backed up if it’s located on-premises hosted on a Hyper-V environment (host level backup).

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 5:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Try the SQL Server Management Studio version 17.9.1, make sure you install it on the DPM server.

Best regards,
    Leon

• Marked as answer by purushottam151 Wednesday, September 4, 2019 1:10 AM
    Tuesday, September 3, 2019 8:11 PM
  • Great. Thanks a lot, it worked out. 

This would be helpful if some folks plan to install DPM 2019 on DPM Server, 

I have 2 VM on azure running windows OS 2016, one VM for Remote SQL server where I installed 2017 SQL Developers edition and prep the SQL for DPM too. On DPM server, I tried to install DPM 2019, however I got the error as below:

'' SQL Server Management Tools are not installed on this machine. Please install SQL Tools compatible with the installed SQL Server version.''

Then, I spent most of time to get the help from MSDN and other places, some are saying DPM 2016 onwards require ssms setup 16.5.3 or earlier version, then I tried using SSMS 16.5.3, 16.5 and 18 version but nothing worked out and I am struggling a lot then I post my issue on forums and finally Mr. Leon Laude said go with SSMS 17.9.1 and I did the same which resolved my issue. I saved a lot of time and very happy. 

THanks a lot Leon..

I have still some quiesiton? How do we know which SSMS setup it required for DPM? 

- I have been looking what DPM can support? Azure IAAS DPM can not support on- prem workload and each DPM can have max workload of 120TB ? Also Linux Vm running on Azure are not supported as DPM agent is not available for Linux box? 

- To protect On- prem workload , need to configure the on- prem DPM work load? 

I just wanted to confirm all my finding above and any other things to know ? 

THanks

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 1:03 AM
  • Great to hear!

Yes these limitations are correct and true:

DPM uses Modern Backup Storage and to backup more than 120TB of data, you will need to install additional DPM servers.

For backing up on-prem workloads you will have to install an DPM on-premises.

Linux VMs can only be backed up if it’s located on-premises hosted on a Hyper-V environment (host level backup).

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 5:12 AM