none
New USB Problems - USB Device Not Recognized

Question

• I've had Ultimate x64 installed for awhile now.  It's gone through some growing pains (mostly NVIDIA-related BSOD issues) but it's usually pretty stable.  About a week ago it started having USB problems.

I have a SanDisk ImageMate USB 2.0 card reader that suddenly stopped reading my camera media.  I also have an HP photosmart 7960 that stopped printing (I was using drivers for another printer, per instructions from HP, because this printer doesn't have Vista drivers).  My Memorex flash drive also no longer works, and it no longer sees my Garmin GPS.  They all say "USB Device Not Recognized".

I contacted HP and they determined that my USB needed to be rebuilt.  This is what I did:

1. Unplugged all USB devices.
    2. Removed all related USB software.
    3. Booted up in safe mode and went to Device Manager and uninstalled, in this order: USB root hubs, then USB host controllers.

Even in safe mode, I couldn't get everything to stay deleted.  As soon as I deleted a USB host controller it would reinstall itself and install a root hub.

I rebooted, and now I'm trying to install the SanDisk card reader.  It installs it, and then there is an exclamation point next to "USB Mass Storage Device" in Device Manager.  I've tried to update the driver (also by having it look in C:\Windows and all subfolders) and it says "Windows was able to successfully install device driver software, but the driver software encountered a problem when it tried to run.  The problem code is 10."

So I seem to be stuck with no USB.  I've been throwing new hardware at Vista, determined not to go back to XP.  However, I'm sure I can't work without USB.  What should I do at this point?

Thanks!

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 3:44 PM

All replies

•  

WHY hasn't anyone replied to this thread?  This is a huge issue, and I am certain millions are affected.  Glowball, did you find a solution.

I have had major issues with my PC Card (PCIMIA SLOT) Adapter TYPE I & II Compact Flash Card Readers, which were plug and play in XP, give the same behavior - now you see it , now you don't!  None of the manufacturers were willing to provide any acknowledgement nor certify their devices for VISTA.  However, on the MS Support site I did find the attached instruction for a Reg Edit which allows the assignment of an IRQ to the PC Card Adapter in VISTA - apparently this was not required in XP (is this an advance in the OS??? I think not!).  IRQ 16 was assigned, and now works great on my Vista Home Premium laptop.

On my other Vista Business laptop, I have a PC Express Cardslot - haven't tried an Adapter for SD + cards yet there, but supposed to not have the same issues, I believe.  However, I am having the same issue Glowball describes above with my USB  Card reader. It is USB 2.0 high speed certified and has been working great for Readyboost with an 8 GB SD card inserted and adding 4 GB of Readyboost "ram".  However, when I also inserted a CF card into the adjacent slot of the same card reader, it has become an "unrecognized device" as noted above.  Tried unplugging, replugging USB cable.  Although still displayed in My Computer and Explorer, the drive contents are not updated or active and cannot be opened - get "drive not present error" and the USB error noted above.

I am unwilling to delete the USB drivers/device EVERY time I need to work with a CF card.  Surely there is a registry correction for this issue.  It must also tie into this IRQ issue noted with the PCIMIA card readers above as well?

Anybody know or CARE?

Mike Mulligan

720-987-4470

drmulligan@aol.com

Sunday, October 07, 2007 6:38 PM
  • I have a 5 in one Rioch reader that came built in with my HP Pavillion DV 6000 notebook. It worked fine but recently i had to re-install vista from a pirated copy, but i used my CD key so technically there was nothing illegal about it. anyways, i have tried several different card types in the card reader, and now it doesnt work.

so what i did was i went to the HP site and downlaoded the 'drivers' for it. When i opened the file i t appeared to install somthing, but left me with serveral IDA ATA/ATAPI controller drivers in the device manager.

i found that the"SD Memory Card" had a big explination point on it telling me that the driver isnt installed. i have tried to several times to install the drivers for it, but when i try to point it to the right driver, it says that its not the right one and remains uninstalled. this is really bothering me as i have done everything that i should have to make it work and more.

WHAT HAPPENED TO XP'S PLUG AND PLAY?!?!?!?!

thx for any replies in advance

Monday, October 22, 2007 1:27 AM
  •  

I have experienced several USB problems, both with my own systems, and those of my clients. The problem always goes back to Microsoft and if they would focus better on improving their OS, we wouldn't have all these problems. I would use only Apple if I could, although they have some annoyances, but at least their OS is fast, stable, virus/worm free... I'm also not surprised there's no reply to these posts on a Microsoft forum. Their support has always been lacking (even when you pay $$$).

I have fixed the problems primarily by registry modifications, booting off XP disk and doing "repair," or reinstalling everything when it gets to be too much. The point is, it already is too much and as an "IT guru", I'm just plain sick of fixing Windows (although the money's been great) and I'm going back to stock daytrading, and on a MAC!

Monday, November 19, 2007 8:28 PM
  • I really should have updated this post -- sorry!  About a month ago I put in another drive and installed XP on it, and the same thing happened.  It turned out that I had purchased a brand new motherboard with USB functionality that up and died.  I bought another one, and this time I bought one that had nothing to do with NVIDIA.  It seemed like all of the blue screens and issues I had with my last Vista install were NVIDIA-related due to the lack of any decent drivers.

Now my Vista is running flawlessly.  I haven't had a single blue screen, and the issues are no more or less than I had on XP.  It still has its issues that are Vista-related (mostly when doing basic things with files like copying and moving them) but at this point I'm happy I stayed with it and didn't go back to XP.

For the record, I bought an Asus M2A-VM HDMI motherboard.  It doesn't use anything NVIDIA.  I think it's going to be awhile before NVIDIA works with Vista.

Monday, November 19, 2007 8:39 PM
  •  

I've had Ultimate x64 installed for awhile now.  It's gone through some growing pains (mostly NVIDIA-related BSOD issues) but it's usually pretty stable.  About a week ago it started having USB problems.

I have a SanDisk ImageMate USB 2.0 card reader that suddenly stopped reading my camera media.  I also have an HP photosmart 7960 that stopped printing (I was using drivers for another printer, per instructions from HP, because this printer doesn't have Vista drivers).  My Memorex flash drive also no longer works, and it no longer sees my Garmin GPS.  They all say "USB Device Not Recognized".

I contacted HP and they determined that my USB needed to be rebuilt.  This is what I did:

1. Unplugged all USB devices.
    2. Removed all related USB software.
    3. Booted up in safe mode and went to Device Manager and uninstalled, in this order: USB root hubs, then USB host controllers.

Even in safe mode, I couldn't get everything to stay deleted.  As soon as I deleted a USB host controller it would reinstall itself and install a root hub.

I rebooted, and now I'm trying to install the SanDisk card reader.  It installs it, and then there is an exclamation point next to "USB Mass Storage Device" in Device Manager.  I've tried to update the driver (also by having it look in C:\Windows and all subfolders) and it says "Windows was able to successfully install device driver software, but the driver software encountered a problem when it tried to run.  The problem code is 10."

So I seem to be stuck with no USB.  I've been throwing new hardware at Vista, determined not to go back to XP.  However, I'm sure I can't work without USB.  What should I do at this point?

Thanks!

Sunday, January 27, 2008 12:22 PM
  • I have a sony viao laptop and out of no where my wireless mouse stopped working. I was getting the error your usb device is not recognised. I went to sony's support site and got this: shut down your system. remove the power cord, the battery and the all usb devices. wait 30 sec. put battery and usb devices back. turn system back on. this corrected my problem. mouse working again. good luck
    • Proposed as answer by rimutis Sunday, April 17, 2011 4:30 AM
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 1:03 PM
  • I have a sony viao laptop and out of no where my wireless mouse stopped working. I was getting the error your usb device is not recognised. I went to sony's support site and got this: shut down your system. remove the power cord, the battery and the all usb devices. wait 30 sec. put battery and usb devices back. turn system back on. this corrected my problem. mouse working again. good luck
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 1:03 PM
  • Please unpower your motherboard. So switch of your power supply at the back of your system or remove the power connector for 1 minute. That often resets your USB hub on your motherboard. It worked for me anyway!
    Microsoft Certified Professional Qualified Programmer Network Architecture MCIT Student
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:12 AM
  • Try to connect it to a USB hub, it works for me. It used to work by directly plug in the USB device to a PC, but all of a sudden it stop working and gave me "USB Device Not Recognized", I then plug it to a USB hub and magically the PC can recognize the device again!
    Sunday, April 01, 2012 2:23 AM