none
Strange Windows 10 WiFi Connectivity Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to connect a Windows 10 laptop to a WiFi network that is using a MAC address filter. When I attempt to connect Windows reports that it is "Checking network requirements". Then it reports that it "Cannot connect to this network". I have been able to connect dozens of other devices running everything from iOS to Android to Windows 7 with no problems. However, this is my first Windows 10 attempt. I am not sure what I am missing.

Things I have tried so far:

• I have triple checked the MAC address to make sure I have the correct one.
    • Contacted the manufacturer of the router and applied the recommended firmware updates.
    • Checked the laptop manufacturer for driver updates for the wireless adapter
    • Turn off the MAC filter on the router

When I turn off the filter, the laptop connects immediately. That leads me to think that problem is a data entry error with the MAC address. To eliminate any possibility of error I cut and paste directly from what ipconfig reports as the MAC address for the wireless adapter.  When I restore the MAC filter, the laptop is immediatly removed from the Wifi network.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 3:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

First of all, this guide could be as a reference:

Fix network connection issues

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/fix-network-connection-issues

And then, based on your symptoms, the root should be your filter condition.

Please unplug the router and plug it again, disable MAC filtering, connect your laptop, and check router' status page to see what MAC address the router thinks you have. Then manually setup that MAC address.

In addition, change your computer name for test.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Timoteob Wednesday, January 27, 2016 9:23 PM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 7:54 AM

All replies

• Windows 10, the Vista of 2016.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 8:03 PM
  • simple MAC filter on a router rather than 802.1X?

Well can only really think to suggest doing a packet trace with https://www.wireshark.org/ Be interesting to me what packets would be captured and if they would offer hints. Wireshark and looking a packet traces is an art into itself which I do not know much about, but wondering what it shows. The trace afaik in the Ethernet II, Src: MAC would in the brackets, so could check that if nothing else.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 9:14 PM
  • Hi,

First of all, this guide could be as a reference:

Fix network connection issues

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/fix-network-connection-issues

And then, based on your symptoms, the root should be your filter condition.

Please unplug the router and plug it again, disable MAC filtering, connect your laptop, and check router' status page to see what MAC address the router thinks you have. Then manually setup that MAC address.

In addition, change your computer name for test.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Timoteob Wednesday, January 27, 2016 9:23 PM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 7:54 AM
  • Karen,

I did as you suggested and viewed what the router was reporting the MAC address as and cut and pasted that value into the MAC filter.  I was the able to successfully connect to the WiFi network.

Thank you for your assistance.

Timoteob

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 9:33 PM