How can I get the serial key of windows 8 from registry?

Question

• I have installed the Windows 8 Consumer Preview. I'm writing a program to get the inventory of a computer that gets the serial key of windows from registry (HKLM/Software/Microsoft/WindowsNT/CurrentVersion, "DigitalProductID"). The algorithm that works for decryption of license key on elder Versions (up to Windows 7, see http://geekswithblogs.net/willemf/archive/2006/04/23/76125.aspx) doesn't work here since it doesn't support an "N", which is part of the official key "DNJXJ-...".  Is this key only valid on the preview version or do I need a new algorithm?
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 2:06 PM

Answers

• Jorg:

In that code, I see nothing restricting the table defining the possible values.  Have you tried simply adding {space}'N', following the {space}'9', entry?

DAS

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:16 PM

All replies

• I don't know the answer to your first question but this key will only be used for this build of Windows 8.  The RC(s) and RTM will need another key which may or may not contain Ns.  I'm sure someone will figure out the algorithm in due course.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:13 PM
  • Jorg:

In that code, I see nothing restricting the table defining the possible values.  Have you tried simply adding {space}'N', following the {space}'9', entry?

DAS

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:16 PM