none
Dual boot 32 and 64 bit Windows on one computer possible ? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a multiboot setup. XpPro, Vista, Win7RC1, Ubuntu9.10 and Dos. I have an AMD 64bit processor. When I come to install Win7 in a new partition, can I install the 64 bit version on this same computer. If so, will it see the other 32 bit partitions and be able to access data on those partitions ?

Many thanks

errolgreer

Sunday, March 21, 2010 8:43 AM

Answers

• Sure, you can dual boot 32bit and 64bit Windows 7 on just one computer. 64bit Windows supports 32bit applications as well, but you can't use the applications installed in 32bit from 64bit Windows. Only if you take ownership of the 32bit Operating System, can you access data on 32bit OS from 64bit OS. Generally, it is recommended to install applications seperately.  

Best Regards. Dale

Monday, March 22, 2010 3:29 AM

All replies

• Yes this should be possible without any issue, be aware though that because you also use dos and Linux, you might need to make additional configurations to your 3rd party bootloader (altough this depends on your current config)

Fileystems are not affected by x86 or x64: their format is fixed (NTFS, FAT, ext2,...). You will be able te read/write exactly the same partitions in x64 as in x86 Win7!

MCSA/MCTS/MCP
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 1:06 PM
  • Sure, you can dual boot 32bit and 64bit Windows 7 on just one computer. 64bit Windows supports 32bit applications as well, but you can't use the applications installed in 32bit from 64bit Windows. Only if you take ownership of the 32bit Operating System, can you access data on 32bit OS from 64bit OS. Generally, it is recommended to install applications seperately.  

Best Regards. Dale

Monday, March 22, 2010 3:29 AM