Windows Media Player Won't Play DVDs or DVD Files

Question

• Is it true that WMP 12 in Win 8 no longer supports DVD playback? Mine won't, and what little I have been able to find searching indicates this is the new normal.
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:47 PM

Answers

• DVD encounter is not included in Windows 8 currently.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Marked as answer by slance310 Wednesday, March 21, 2012 2:15 PM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 8:52 AM

All replies

• WMP always has been useless. I use Media Player Classic.
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 1:00 PM
  • Is it true that WMP 12 in Win 8 no longer supports DVD playback? Mine won't, and what little I have been able to find searching indicates this is the new normal.

Please download the DVD Decoder (MPEG-2 Decoder) plug-ins from the link :

DVD Decoder (MPEG-2 Decoder) plug-ins

Irfan

Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:00 PM
  • That doesn't answer my question....Besides, none of the Decoders at the link are even for Win 7 what alone Win 8...And they cost $10-$20 just to try.
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:30 PM
  • Hi slance310,

I am sorry, I didn't read they were to be paid for, thought it was just a missing plugin problem because I can play music CDs on my Consumer Preview x64. I sure hope you can do so too. My auto play is disabled so I have either to select a file to play or add files to the Windows Media Player list to play.

Irfan

Saturday, March 17, 2012 6:16 PM
  • Microsoft's page doesn't specify a price, but when you click a link to choose a Decoder, you end up at the Manufacturer's Web Page....There the cost appears.

I can play most everything on WMP 12 in Win 8....Except DVDs and DVD Files. I can in fact play a Retail Music CD...although I haven't tried a music video.

I actually tried a Media Player Codec Pack that was approved for Win7....It still won't play a DVD. I think it may be more of an issue than missing Codecs...It appears that DVD playback is BLOCKED...period.

WMP normally asks to look for necessary codecs to play a file, if none are present....Not now, at least for DVDs.

Thanks for trying...

Saturday, March 17, 2012 6:39 PM
  • Hi slance310,

please try uninstalling and reinstalling Windows Media Player. You may follow the step here: Control Panel\Programs\Turn Windows features on or off, unselect the box for Windows Media Player by expanding Media Features. Later, select the box for WMP. I am not sure if a reboot is required between the two processes.

Irfan

Sunday, March 18, 2012 3:31 AM
  • Hello Irfan,

I've already tried that without any success. Take a look at these links and see what you think.

http://www.windows8news.com/2011/08/06/windows-8-ditch-dvd-support/

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-8-news/2068-windows-8-doesn-t-include-our-dvd-playback-support.html

Are you able to play DVDs or DVD files with Win 8's WMP 12 ?
    • Edited by slance310 Sunday, March 18, 2012 4:16 AM addition
    Sunday, March 18, 2012 4:08 AM
  • Yes, slance310,

I have used my DVD drive to install software from a DVD an hour back, have played music using WMP while the files were loaded on a CD to recheck to reply to your question. I have Speakers as the default playback device, Digital Audio (HDMI) is disabled by default, get no audio when I set as default Realtek Digital Output in place of Speakers.

Irfan

Will read your links when I come back again and post back.
    • Edited by Irfanfare Sunday, March 18, 2012 5:59 AM to complete
    Sunday, March 18, 2012 5:58 AM
  • On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 05:58:13 +0000, Irfanfare wrote:

I have used my DVD drive to install software from a DVD an hour back, have played music using WMP while the files were loaded on a CD to recheck to reply to your question.

You've missed the point of this thread. No one is stating that you can't
    install software from a DVD or that you can't play music from a CD. The
    entire issue in this thread is whether or not the Windows Media Player in
    Windows 8 can or cannot play DVD movies, either directly from a DVD or
    from a folder on a drive named Video_TS.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    This system will self-destruct in five minutes.

Sunday, March 18, 2012 6:05 AM
  • I can't Paul, thanks. Had to borrow a movie DVD to check. The Video_TS folder nor the .BOP files housed in it would open with WMP/Media Center, even after setting all the defaults for them, one by one. Had to use the VLC to play the folder/files.

C:\Users\User name\AppData\Local\Temp\wmpsupport.htm does show Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder
    Binary: msmpeg2vdec.dll  Version: 12.0.8180.0

The search for MS DTV-DVD Video Decoder says 'This filter is not supported on IA-64-based platforms. Don't know what to infer from it.

I assume, just as slance310 links say , Consumer Preview's WMP does not support playback directly from DVD.

Irfan

Sunday, March 18, 2012 3:23 PM
  • Try this tweak as many had this problem of DVD drive not seen -

1. Run Command Prompt as an  Administrator. Type cmd in Windows 8 Metro UI and press cltr+shift+enter

2. Type following and say enter

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

3. Reboot the system

4. Verify if the problem has been resolved.

This was provided by AtishayMSFT of Microsoft in Answers.

And it worked for many who were facing this prob.

• Proposed as answer by Irfanfare Tuesday, March 20, 2012 1:46 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Irfanfare Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:01 PM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 1:26 PM
  • On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 13:26:58 +0000, Vasudev [MVP] wrote:

Try this tweak as many had this problem of DVD drive not seen -

I don't know how many times I'm going to have to repeat this, the issue
    here is not being able to play DVD movies with WMP. It has nothing at all
    to do with not having a physical DVD drive detected or not.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    A computer scientist is someone who fixes things that aren't broken.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 1:33 PM
  • OK !  I didn't read it properly. Sorry!.

Does it give any error message or its just dud?

Close WMP, Delete userenv.dll and start it. It'll prompt you for setting it up. Now try  & see if it works. Have seen this work for some who were having similar problem.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 1:58 PM
  • Hi Vasudev,

in Search, I'm finding 1  userenv.dll file in Apps and 7 in files, but can't locate it. How exactly to pin point it's location?

Irfan

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:10 PM
  • May I ask again...DOES YOUR WMP 12 in Win 8 play DVD movies or DVD Files in a Video_TS Folder or does it not?

I simply get a very small WMP window that lists...

Play All Music

Go To Library

Play Previous List.

There are multiple userenv.dll files scattered every where...they are not all the same size...which one are you referring to?

• Edited by slance310 Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:53 PM clarification
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:50 PM
  • Hi Irfan, As I had said , if you are getting any error message mentioning userenv.dll when you run WMP then try deleting userenv.dll related to WMP else do not tinker with any oth file.

If you are getting such message then look this file in C:\Prgram files (x86)\Windows media player\userenv.dll.    (If error not related to this, then no file)

Also in general, to find the location of any file listed in the search, just right click on it and 'Open file location'

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:58 PM
  • DVD encounter is not included in Windows 8 currently.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Marked as answer by slance310 Wednesday, March 21, 2012 2:15 PM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 8:52 AM
  • Also in general, to find the location of any file listed in the search, just right click on it and 'Open file location'

With due respect Vasudev, it's not true for Search results in 8CP. I had looked for it in both the Program files (including  X86) prior to writing my above post, no such file exists in WMP folder there. The location of the 7 files I mentioned above can be located if I hold the pointer long enough on a file in the search result, they are located on the other inactive drive (D) housing Windows7 while I'm always logged in to (C) 8CP. One App file I talked about above, named userenv.dll., I would have found it had I searched in WE, it's located on C:\Windows\System32\userenv.dll., but a right click on the search result I get in Apps just 'selects' the .dll file with no extra info, even on hovering the mouse over it. 

Irfan

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 1:08 PM
  • May I ask again...DOES YOUR WMP 12 in Win 8 play DVD movies or DVD Files in a Video_TS Folder or does it not

It does not, slance310. I'm getting the same options you are getting. Can play some video files, others I can't. I think only the files types shown on the given location are playable:

C:\Users\User name\AppData\Local\Temp\wmpsupport.htm does show Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder

Irfan

You may also get it by opening WMP, Help, click About Windows Media Player, Technical Support Information.
    • Edited by Irfanfare Wednesday, March 21, 2012 1:35 PM to complete
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 1:25 PM
  • I'm sorry Irfan, you had already answered that question. I was directing my last post to Vasudev, but failed to make that clear.

slance310

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 2:13 PM
  • Does Media Center work?

Don Geddes - SR Support Escalation Engineer - Remote Desktop Services - Printing and Imaging

Saturday, March 24, 2012 12:17 AM
  • Does Media Center work?

Don Geddes

Please try:
    FAQ/Known Issues for Windows Media Center in Win8 Consumer Preview

Irfan

• Edited by Irfanfare Saturday, March 24, 2012 12:32 AM
    • Proposed as answer by mekojwot Tuesday, December 04, 2012 11:24 PM
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 12:32 AM
  • Hello Don,

Surprisingly, yes. Media Center will play a DVD disk from the Media Center Application, or directly from the Disk if the DVD Drive is set to Auto Play with Media Center as default. The DVD will not play if you right click the .ifo or .vob file and choose Media Center like WMP 12 in Win 7 would.

It will also play a DVD File, but only if that file is in the Movie Library. You cannot open the file with Media Center. The DVD file also will not play if it is selected through the Video Library.

I had never thought to try this previously. I would have thought that Media Center used WMP 12 for Playback. According to my Firewall, Media Center does in fact prompt WMP to connect to the internet.

• Edited by slance310 Saturday, March 24, 2012 3:00 AM clarification
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 2:57 AM
  • If given the choice, I would always choose Media Center over Media Player, but if you have a need for DVD playback in Media Player please send me an email at my username @microsoft.com so I can send you a link to download the feedback tool.  You can then send your feedback to the Media Player team and provide details of the scenario where you require DVD playback in Media Player.

Don Geddes - SR Support Escalation Engineer - Remote Desktop Services - Printing and Imaging

Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:57 PM
  • Hello Don,

Thanks for the offer, but I have already checked into the Feed Back Tool, and found I would be in violation of the license before I even start. Something concerning "Workarounds of Technical Limitations" being prohibited.

I have a number of those already.

I had used WMP to playback and review mostly short homemade DVDs, with a lot of short clips as Chapters.

It would also play individual .vob files that would each represent a single clip.

I myself personally use it to play DVD files, not so much Movie Disks 

Media Center may work well for watching a feature length movie, but it is quite cumbersome for my use.

Thanks

Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:06 PM
  • I don't know about Windows 8, but I had the same problem on Windows 7.  The solution:  VLC Media Player (free, open source, works great).  Download from Sourceforge.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/vlc/
    • Edited by HH1233 Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:21 AM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:17 AM