none
Windows Media Center Update icon always in tray?

Question

• Is this normal to have the Windows Media Center icon  (with a down-arrow) in system tray all the time? It says, "Windows Media Center Update Log Started".
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 12:35 PM

Answers

• Hi DianeDumas:
          I think it appears as soon as you open the Media Ctr window and remains there until the next shutdown/re-boot,  even thru sleep cycles.  If you want to know if it is doing anything you can right-click the icon and select "open Media Ctr Log" and view any current guide download progress or "client maintenance".  I personally wish it was like Vista and just hovering the cursor over the icon allowed you to see if any cpu/hard-drive intensive activity was ocurring.  I hate it when I start to install a 2 dvd video game or other cpu intensive program and the PC gets up to 100% cpu use. 
    Monday, February 16, 2009 1:47 AM

All replies

• Hi DianeDumas:
          I think it appears as soon as you open the Media Ctr window and remains there until the next shutdown/re-boot,  even thru sleep cycles.  If you want to know if it is doing anything you can right-click the icon and select "open Media Ctr Log" and view any current guide download progress or "client maintenance".  I personally wish it was like Vista and just hovering the cursor over the icon allowed you to see if any cpu/hard-drive intensive activity was ocurring.  I hate it when I start to install a 2 dvd video game or other cpu intensive program and the PC gets up to 100% cpu use. 
    Monday, February 16, 2009 1:47 AM
  • Thanks! Right you are! It comes on now only when MCE is running or when it's doing an update. I have a CPU meter and was going nuts while playing a game and my CPU jumped to 100% and didn't know why. I viewed the log and it seems they are busy working on MCE7. I'm currently using it a alot. I spent hours & hours getting the guide set manually for ClearQAM. I have 99% of the channels located and recieving guide listings. Still working on the FM Radio tuner in MCE7 to work with my Hauppauge 2250. They say it works.
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 9:44 PM
  • Hi DianeDumas:

The Hauppauge 2250 works in Win7 Media Center for HD cable clear QAM?  Did you have to make registry changes to get  QAM capability recognized?
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 10:36 PM