GPT Protective Partition Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Running into a bit of an issue.  I am totally stumped and Google has been of little help.  So a little about my builds.  Machine 1 is my would be home server.  Running Win 10 Pro v1903.  It is a Dell PE T610.  Dual Xeon CPU and 48gb ram.  System drive is a 500gb spinner drive and I am using storage pool setup up in parity with 7 4tb HGST hot swap NAS drives.  Works great! Machine 2 is a slightly older Dell Optiplex.  Single core i3 with 8gb ram.  System drive is a 256gb ssd.  Running Win 10 Home v1903.  This is my HTPC.  So on to my issue.  I also have other HGST 4tb NAS drives that I am trying to use to backup my storage pool data.  When I pull the drive (loaded with all my data) from machine 1 and try to attach it to machine 2 (whether usb or sata), my drive shows up as "GPT PROTECTIVE PARTITION" under computer management.  As you know, that now makes the drive totally unaccessable.  If I put the drive back in machine 1, it works just fine.  But my whole purpose of this is to have the HDDs stored at my office as an "offsite backup".  How to I stop this GPT PROTECTIVE PARTITION from happening so I can plug the drives into a different machine?  I hope this makes sense...

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 5:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>>How to I stop this GPT PROTECTIVE PARTITION from happening so I can plug the drives into a different machine?

You could remove GPT Protective Partition using diskpart command.

Note: Diskpart will remove all your data and partition structure from the disk. Thus, you should backup files in advance if there are vital data.

Kindly refer to the following steps:

Step 1. Find disk number of the GPT protective partition and remember it.

1. Right-click Computer or This PC and then select Manage from the context menu.

2. Select Disk Management in the pop-up window.

3. Find the disk marked as GPT Protective Partition and remember its disk number.

Step 2. Remove GPT protective partition in Windows 10

1. Type cmd in the search box and then run as administartor..

2. Type diskpart in the command prompt and hit Enter.

3. Type the following commands in order and press Enter after each one:

list disk

select disk n(n refers to the disk which marked as GPT Protective Partition.)

clean

convert mbr

exit

Hope can help you. Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Kiki

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 16, 2020 6:12 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Kiki

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 17, 2020 2:04 AM
  • Hi,

>>How to I stop this GPT PROTECTIVE PARTITION from happening so I can plug the drives into a different machine?

You could remove GPT Protective Partition using diskpart command.

Note: Diskpart will remove all your data and partition structure from the disk. Thus, you should backup files in advance if there are vital data.

Kindly refer to the following steps:

Step 1. Find disk number of the GPT protective partition and remember it.

1. Right-click Computer or This PC and then select Manage from the context menu.

2. Select Disk Management in the pop-up window.

3. Find the disk marked as GPT Protective Partition and remember its disk number.

Step 2. Remove GPT protective partition in Windows 10

1. Type cmd in the search box and then run as administartor..

2. Type diskpart in the command prompt and hit Enter.

3. Type the following commands in order and press Enter after each one:

list disk

select disk n(n refers to the disk which marked as GPT Protective Partition.)

clean

convert mbr

exit

You've got to be kidding, he doesn't want to convert it to MBR, he wants to use it in his system. Plus it's a 4TB drive, so converting it to MBR ISN'T AN OPTION.

I'm having a similar issue. But I have a bit of extra information that. My drive is a 3TB drive. It works fine from my laptop (Whose OS drive is MBR) & it shows a 2794.5GB Healthy ExFAT GPT partition. But when I try to put it in my Dell Optiplex 790 that I just setup to run as a media server, because it can transcode better than my NAS, it Shows a 2048GB Healthy (GPT Protective Partition) & 746.52GB of [Unpartitioned Space].

This system has a newly installed Windows 10 Pro OS on a 128GB GPT SSD. I'm still installing Windows Updates, so I am hoping it's just some setting that needs to be updated so it'll recognize partitions larger than 2TB. It's also possible, though less likely, that when I was removing all the extras that are unnecessary like calculator, OneNote, Office, 3D Viewer, Internet Explorer 11, Math Recognizer, Media Player, Quick Access, Hello Face, OneDrive, etc, etc, I inadvertently uninstalled something that caused it to no longer be able to read it. I find this unlikely as I noticed the issue before restarting after removing all that stuff, but since I did not check it with a clean install I cannot be certain.

So I tried connecting it with a USB SATA connector & it recognizes it, but it does not when I put it inside the computer on the onboard SATA. Just did a BIOS update but still have the same problem.

I'll update when I have any more information

Sunday, July 26, 2020 4:01 PM
  • Another update, I put the 3TB drive in a different USB SATA & I got the same 2TB [GPT Protective Partition] & the rest unallocated. I don't know if it just only is usable with the device it was formatted on, which would be ridiculous as that was part of the reason I used ExFAT, because it doesn't need to be protected
    Sunday, July 26, 2020 4:25 PM