none
Remove Stale AD Objects From Inventory Results On MAP RRS feed

• Question

• I have had a look around on the web to try and find a relative post to this question but have been unsuccesful thus far...

I have run an inventory check against our local domain which has returned results I previously expected. This has allowed me to delete some computers that aren't in use from our AD. I assumed that running in inventory again would remove the previously discovered computer names, as I thought it would do another check against AD. I'm now assuming that it will keep attempting to search for them until it has found their details?

Could anyone tell me if I am able to manually remove these results from MAP? Or would I have to delete the database I have created and start fresh?

Thank you!

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:16 PM

All replies

• You don't have to delete the current database to create a new one, you can just go to File > Select Database and create a new one. MAP is cumulative, so once a device is discovered it is added to the devices table in the database and MAP will continue to try to inventory it. Deleting the machine from the devices table will remove it from the list of machines MAP tries to inventory and orphan any data associated with that device in other tables, so use at your own risk. I recommend starting a new clean database.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 6:05 PM
  • I realise this is an old thread, but I had the same problem as you and needed to remove devices from my MAP database, as I had taken the results offsite I could not rerun a fresh scan.

Instead I deleted the device from the devices table as well as every other table that referenced its corresponding GUID. I created a very simple application to assist with this process should anyone find it useful. I recommend you backup your database first.

http://www.kiwi-itp.co.nz/Blog/Software/20/Remove-MAP-Toolkit-Inventoried-Devices

Cheers

Ben Taylor MCITP

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:54 AM
  • MAP - when using AD as a discovery method - is simply dependent upon the state of AD.  So, if you have old device entries in AD, MAP will *prime* its database with all devices found in AD.

Now keep in mind that the only software associated to the AD device is the Operating system; no other software will be found.  So, if you're reviewing software titles (SQL Server, Office, etc) you can ignore the false positives

Here at AssetLabs we have two approaches to this:

1) Simply ignore any device where the AD login date is greater than 45 days

2) Switch the discovery method to IP range or Windows Networking (This is our last resort)

Understand that this is not a 'fault' of MAP; it points to the fact that AD Management is 'less than desirable' and should be resolved for issues above & beyond a SAM assessment.

Cheers

Steve at AssetLabs

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:02 PM
  • Hello Ben , do you still have this tool available ? I tried to reach the link unsuccessfully. 

Can you send me a new link ? 

Thanks in advance

Thursday, November 7, 2019 3:40 PM