none
How to disable Credentials Manager? RRS feed

• Question

• How can the Windows 7 Credential Manager be disabled? It seems to be more trouble than it's worth: it caches passwords for network shares but when passwords are changed it doesn't autoupdate and continually prompts the user. We have to manually go into Control Panel and clear the passwords.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:36 PM

Answers

• Hi, besides uninstall Credentials Manager, you can try to change the policy settings:

1 Open “gpedit.msc”

2 Go to: Local Computer Policy----Computer Configuration----Windows Settings----Security Settings-----Local Policies----Security Options

3 Find the policy: Netowrk access: Do not allow storage of passwords and credentials for network authentication

4 Choose the Local Security Settings to “Enable”

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 5:15 AM

All replies

• You can just uninstal it from the Control Panel Add Remove Programs.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 2:44 AM
  • Hi, besides uninstall Credentials Manager, you can try to change the policy settings:

1 Open “gpedit.msc”

2 Go to: Local Computer Policy----Computer Configuration----Windows Settings----Security Settings-----Local Policies----Security Options

3 Find the policy: Netowrk access: Do not allow storage of passwords and credentials for network authentication

4 Choose the Local Security Settings to “Enable”

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 5:15 AM
  • Hi,

Would that GPO setting also disable caching of logon credentials? If so, we cannot use that as many of our remote users rely on cached network logon to sign into their laptop when on the road/offline.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:57 PM
  • I came here for a slightly different reason and It might be the same for some people here. I was looking the way to forcé Users introduce always their credentials when accesing to Outlook 2016, and The only and real way I found to do this was the following:

Link https://www.stigviewer.com/stig/microsoft_outlook_2016/2016-11-02/finding/V-71153

I finally took out the Checkbox option from the Outlook 2016 prompt. I Will never get another issue with this in the future. You all know how many IT tickets we got because of the baddly way the Windows Credential Manager deals with Outlook Passwords. I hope it helps somebody else.

--CV

Saturday, July 14, 2018 4:45 PM