none
Auto Shutdown PC after Windows Updates completes? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Guys,

My Home PC Windows Vista Updates setting is "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them". There are about 200MB of updates for me to download.  Before going to bed, I want to click on Download/Install updates.

Once the updates are installed, I want to set my PC to automatically shutdown.  Does Vista provides this functionality?

Thanks,
    KSDN

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 1:42 AM

Answers

• Yes, but that is about the only way that I know of to have the machine shutdown after installing updates. You could set the scheduled time to a period when you aren't using your machine, lunch perhaps. Another, probably simpler, option is to just leave the machine on overnight so that Windows can install the updates.
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, February 20, 2009 10:59 AM
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 1:26 PM

All replies

• I would recommend that you change the update settings to Download and Let Me Choose When to Install. That way, when you go to shut down your computer, it will install the updates as part of the shutdown (you'll see a shield icon next to the shutdown button as a notifier).

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:23 PM
  • Will that not eat up the bandwith while using the PC?

Regards,
    KSDN

Thursday, February 12, 2009 6:51 AM
  • Yes, but that is about the only way that I know of to have the machine shutdown after installing updates. You could set the scheduled time to a period when you aren't using your machine, lunch perhaps. Another, probably simpler, option is to just leave the machine on overnight so that Windows can install the updates.
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, February 20, 2009 10:59 AM
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 1:26 PM