none
Sony Vaio SMART FAILURE Hard Drive Replacement - Recovery Disk Failure

Question

• I purchased a new Sony Vaio over a year ago.

Model No. VPCF115FM.

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)

The laptop came loaded with Windows 7 and Microsoft Office 2007.

Recently, the computer started indicating an error:

"SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk" and it prompted me to boot using F1 and then backup my data.

Step 1: I used Sony Vaio Care to create 2 sets of Recovery Disks and then used Drive Cloner RX to backup all of my data manually and a system image onto a new Seagate external hard drive. 

Step 2: I purchased a new Hitachi 750 GB (7200 rpm) 2.5 SATA hard drive from Comp USA. The computer's original hard drive is a Hitachi HTS545050B9SA00 500 GB 5200 rpm.

Step 3: I removed the original hard drive and installed the new one. Then, inserted Recovery Disk 1 and then Disk 2. After the prompt to restart the computer to finalize Windows setup I received this error message:

"Windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computers hardware."

I then click okay and subsequently receive this message:

"Windows could not complete the installation. To install windows on this computer, restart the installation."

Solutions?

1. Is there a way to boot using the system image from my external drive and re-install that way? If so, what are the best steps?

2. Or, can I use my recovery disks and some type of work around to re-install the OS and factory software?

Note: There are no outstanding issues with the laptop. The computer came preloaded with Windows 7; I have the product key on the computer base. It also came loaded with Microsoft Office, but I don't have the key for that? Sony Vaio laptops don't come with physical CD's -- the data is on a partition within the hard drive -- and you have to create the mfg disks yourself.

Sony Vaio Hard Drive Failure, Sony Vaio Hard Disk Failure, Smart Failure, Windows Could Not Complete the Installation, Windows Setup Could Not Configure Windows to Run on this Computer, Windows 7, Sony Vaio Hard Disk Failure, Sony Viao Laptop

• Edited by ENBella Saturday, January 14, 2012 9:55 PM
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 9:29 PM

Answers

• You will have to contact Sony for a Windows 7 ReInstall/Recovery DVD.  The Sony disks are Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) disks and they are customized for Sony hardware.

Your have two choice:

1.  Purchase a Retail copy of windows 7 which is considerably more expensive and does not have any of the customized software Sony includes on their disks.

2.  Purchase a generic OEM disk from someplace like Newegg or a local computer store.

In either case you will have to go to the Sony website to download any and all hardware drivers and utility software to gain full functionality of your system.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by ENBella Sunday, January 22, 2012 2:15 AM
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:45 PM

All replies

• Some of your questions need to be addressed to Sony Technical Support.  The creation of the Recovery Disks is not a Microsoft Windows 7 feature.  That was done by Sony and it is possible there is some information included in the Recovery Disks that prevents recovering to a hard drive significantly different than the original.

Question #1 should be address to the publisher of Drive Cloner RX since it is not a Microsoft product.

Question #2 would be best answered by Sony Technical Support since the Recovery Disks are a Sony product and not a Microsoft product.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 5:46 PM
  • Actually,

The main issue, which I stated above directly pertains to a Windows 7 error message -- which is the reason for the post.

The information you responded to was background -- a precursor to the main idea.

After further investigation, apparently I will need to gain access to a Windows 7 disk and perform a clean installation of Windows 7 to solve this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466753

Hopefully this posting helps anyone else (quite a few people from what I gather) that is having the Smart Failure issue and attempting to Recover using Sony's Recovery Media from their laptop. What a nightmare -- actually trying to get Sony tech's to assist if you are out of warranty. 

-----------------------------------

Step 3: I removed the original hard drive and installed the new one. Then, inserted Recovery Disk 1 and then Disk 2. After the prompt to restart the computer to finalize Windows setup I received this error message:

"Windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computers hardware."

I then click okay and subsequently receive this message:

"Windows could not complete the installation. To install windows on this computer, restart the installation."

------------------------------------

• Marked as answer by ENBella Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:42 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by ENBella Sunday, January 22, 2012 2:15 AM
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:41 AM
  • You will have to contact Sony for a Windows 7 ReInstall/Recovery DVD.  The Sony disks are Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) disks and they are customized for Sony hardware.

Your have two choice:

1.  Purchase a Retail copy of windows 7 which is considerably more expensive and does not have any of the customized software Sony includes on their disks.

2.  Purchase a generic OEM disk from someplace like Newegg or a local computer store.

In either case you will have to go to the Sony website to download any and all hardware drivers and utility software to gain full functionality of your system.

• Marked as answer by ENBella Sunday, January 22, 2012 2:15 AM
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:45 PM

Your have two choice:

Thanks for this. What a nightmare. 

So even though I purchased another Hitachi drive (it comes loaded with Hitachi) -- the software won't load on it? Is there a way to override the configuration and force an install?

In #1 when you refer to the customized sony software -- are you referring to Vaio Care, etc? If I gain a copy of Windows 7 I can use my license information, right? 

Sunday, January 22, 2012 2:14 AM
  • I can't tell you whether the Hitachi version will work on a Sony system.  Some OEM versions a BIOS locked, which means the installation won't work unless the correct BIOS identification is found.

When I say "customized" I mean Sony has included all or most of the hardware drivers and system utilties on the DVD.  And I can't answer about the license, that is a Sony product, not a Microsoft product.

Sunday, January 22, 2012 1:53 PM