none
BLUE SCREEN ONLY IN REGULAR MODE RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm having a blue screen in my PC. Originaly I had vista 64bits, and out of nothing started the Blue screen, then I did a recovery system but only worked fine for just couple of days. Then I changed the hard drive, because hp had a notice that some computers of my model were afected. But that didn't fix the issue. Then after reading in a lot of forums about all the differents stop errors, I decided to buy & change the memory.... but that didn't fix the problem either... so I put back the old memory and the old hard drive

Then I tried installing a different OS, I installed windows 7, and the pc worked fine for around 3 hours, then again... the blue screen!...

.. so far I tried changing the hardware and didn't work... after no luck with hardware I formated my hard drive and installed windows 7 (if case of any issue with a driver or corrupted system file) but didn't work... 

I change back the new hard drive, formated and Installed vista from the recovery dvds, don't know why but during the installation got around 5 to 6 blue screens, I would not be sorprise if I get blue screen with so many errors in the installation. Anyway, finally  I logged into windows vista, then I did a Bios updated and did a digagnostic tool check... and suddenly it pop up an error with the memory: Biome-1 error. So I changed the memories to the new ones, and thought that could finally fix it, but nooo!... I got the Blue Screen again! So I went back to the old hard drive(again) with windows 7, just to check if the error had something to do with vista.. because windows 7 installation went smooth and quick...

But no luck! ..... so far I'm able to surf in internet and use the pc only in safe mode(in both OS) but as soon I login into normal mode, I get the blue screen.. I run out of tests! and patience! .. 

I have no warranty anymore and I'm really afraid that it could be the mother board, cause I don't know what else could be...

I have a Hp Pavillion Slimline s3620f

Pentium R Dual Core E5200 2.50 ghz

Memory Ram 4GB

About the stop erros, I got so many differents but the lates were:

0X0B

0X0A SYSTEM _SERVICE_EXEPTION

0X50

0X0A1 

0X0D1

By the way I haven't installed anything but google chrome and ccleaner, no antivirus yet, not printers or cameras or any other software or driver.. i really doubt is something to do with a driver..

Please help!! 

Thank you!

Susy

Sunday, May 1, 2011 8:56 AM

Answers

• Hopefully, you confirmed the correct drivers for the motherboard. I only provided that page as an example. Sorry to hear that didn't help.

The blue screen dumps point to ntoskernel. That points to a hardware issue(motherboard, drivers or bad memory) or corrupted OS files. Also, from the original post, you should not get blue screens during the install.

What do you find in the Event Viewer when in safe mode? Administrative Summary, critical and error categories. 

Running a memory test , as you first suspected, may be the next step.

Try one module at time.

One module, boot to BIOS, set to defaults. save and exit and let it boot normally.  

Be sure to power off the computer and unplug the power supply, wait a few seconds for the motherboard to bleed off power and the change the memory modules while touching the case.

Also, I am not fan of registry voodoo tools. I would uninstall ccleaner and chrome, until you get the system stable. That way you are only dealing with windows OS and the hardware.

Did you prep the hard drives by deleting any existing partitions (except oem recovery on the old drive) before the install and let Windows do the rest?

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 1:08 AM

All replies

• I would apply the available updates from HP: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3794733#N180

and update the BIOS if you not done so: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=2100&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3794733#N312

Don't use any software tools. That's not the answer.

The HP updates mention fixes and hang resolution.

Unplug any peripherals-usb external drives, printers, etc. and test.

The nForce chipset probably needs an update also.

Find the minidump files and place in your skydrive public folder (or a suitable site) for review. Post the link here. Someone will take a look at those and perhaps determine the cause.

C:\Windows\minidump

Sunday, May 1, 2011 11:35 AM
  • Hi, thank you for your reply :D
    I updated of the bios already. I followed your advice and check back on the HP supoprt page, but only found one chipset driver (under Driver originals sections),  I doubt is an update... but I installed it anyway.... however nothing changed, I still get the blue screen.
    I don't have any peripherals but my keyboard & mouse. One thing I forgot to mention is a pattern I notice with both OS when connecting to internet, this is what it does:
    the hard drive with vista:
    safe mode no internet: ok
    safe mode with internet: ok
    regular mode no internet: Blue screen  5 or 10 minutes after login
    regular mode with internet: Blue screen 3 or 5 minutes after login

The hard drive with windows 7
    safe mode no internet: ok
    safe mode with internet: ok
    regular mode no internet: ok
    regular mode with internet: Blue screen 3 or 5 minutes after opening the broswer, windows update or             -anything that uses internet 

(google chrome is also crashing often)
    It's really wierd, both network adapters driver's are updated. By the way the diagnostic tool I used was PC-Doctor, it comes with the hp software, and I ran it at star up pressing F9. I'm seriously thinking to keep the windows 7 installation, since is the one had worked better, but here is the copy of both dumps:
    Vista:
    windows 7
    Thanks again!
    Susy

Sunday, May 1, 2011 11:24 PM
  • I also noticed on the Vista x64updates, a Seagate HDD firmware update to resolve the drive becoming inoperable.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-68339-3&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&os=2100&product=3794733&sw_lang=

For Win 7 and Vista x 64, I cannot determine exactly which motherboard chipset that you have. If you can determine that information, visit nVidia and download the nforce drivers for each operating system.

Here is one as an example http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_win7_64bit_15.53.html

You can apply those from safe mode

Next, you could find the culprit by trial and error using system configuration from safe mode, select the services tab, select hide all Microsoft services, uncheck or turn off all others, click ok and restart normally.

Now, enter system configuration again and select the services tab, hide the Microsoft services, enable half of the remaining services (check the box), ok and restart normally and observe for the problem.

Do this by clicking Start->type msconfig.exe->select it from the results.

This process of elimination will help determine if an application or driver app is the cause. When it fails you will which it is.

Monday, May 2, 2011 10:47 AM
  • HI!,

I did the update in the chipset, download it from nvidia site, but this time I notice I got blue screen even when I'm NOT connected to internet in regular mode. I check also on MSCONFIG but there is no other service but microsoft. When I click on hide microsoft services, the list is blank... 

About the hard drive I did an update on the firmware some time ago after I started to have the blue screen.

Any more ideas?? did you find any information on the dumps?

Thanks a lot!

Susy

Monday, May 2, 2011 8:30 PM
  • Hopefully, you confirmed the correct drivers for the motherboard. I only provided that page as an example. Sorry to hear that didn't help.

The blue screen dumps point to ntoskernel. That points to a hardware issue(motherboard, drivers or bad memory) or corrupted OS files. Also, from the original post, you should not get blue screens during the install.

What do you find in the Event Viewer when in safe mode? Administrative Summary, critical and error categories. 

Running a memory test , as you first suspected, may be the next step.

Try one module at time.

One module, boot to BIOS, set to defaults. save and exit and let it boot normally.  

Be sure to power off the computer and unplug the power supply, wait a few seconds for the motherboard to bleed off power and the change the memory modules while touching the case.

Also, I am not fan of registry voodoo tools. I would uninstall ccleaner and chrome, until you get the system stable. That way you are only dealing with windows OS and the hardware.

Did you prep the hard drives by deleting any existing partitions (except oem recovery on the old drive) before the install and let Windows do the rest?

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 1:08 AM