none
Windows 8 Dual Boot RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently running Windows 7 and the Windows 8 Release Preview on separate hard drives in a dual boot configuration.  Can I upgrade the Win 8 RP version to the Windows 8 Pro version utilizing the $39.99 upgrade offer without affecting the current version of Windows 7?
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 5:03 AM

Answers

• According to this article comments :

"@math_ace - people can move from the Windows 8 Release Preview to Windows 8 Pro using the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant and will only have the options to migrate their personal files or keep nothing at all when upgrading. People moving from the Windows 8 Release Preview will need to make sure you have an underlying license for either Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7."

So yeah, upgrade is possible from Windows 8 RP to RTM.

• Proposed as answer by AnthonyDa Sunday, October 14, 2012 10:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lee0805 Monday, October 15, 2012 4:52 AM
    Sunday, October 14, 2012 10:22 AM

All replies

•   I doubt it. The upgrade will expect to upgrade a Windows 7 install, not Windows 8 RP (which was free). The whole point of an upgrade special offer is to allow people to move to the new OS cheaply, not to get a cheap copy of the new OS while keeping the current OS as well.

Bill

Saturday, October 13, 2012 6:53 AM
  • According to this article comments :

"@math_ace - people can move from the Windows 8 Release Preview to Windows 8 Pro using the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant and will only have the options to migrate their personal files or keep nothing at all when upgrading. People moving from the Windows 8 Release Preview will need to make sure you have an underlying license for either Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7."

So yeah, upgrade is possible from Windows 8 RP to RTM.

• Proposed as answer by AnthonyDa Sunday, October 14, 2012 10:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lee0805 Monday, October 15, 2012 4:52 AM
    Sunday, October 14, 2012 10:22 AM
  • Thanks for the replies.  Anthony, your answer makes sense, because I DO plan to move to the new OS - I would just like to do it in a step by step way instead of doing a flash cut.  Based on my experience with other OS updates, this will ensure that all my hardware and software will be transitioned without leaving some things lying in my tracks.

Lee

Sunday, October 14, 2012 11:56 PM