none
Regular Blue Screens

Question

• I had been getting a lot of blue screens so eventually took my PC to a repair shop. I was informed that both my hard disk drives were faulty and had to buy a new one. The shop backed up all my data and reinstalled Windows 7. However, even though I have a brand new hard disk drive and a new Windows 7 Installation, I am still getting about 3.5 Blue Screens each day, and several PC Freezes which require a hard reset. 

I ran Windows memory Diagnostics and also ran Memtest and didnt find any errors.

I installed Blue Screen View and the past 4 dumps have pointed at ntkrnlpa.exe being the cause of the crash.

I am at a loss of what to do next to eliminate these crashes.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:48 PM

Answers

• I have been running XP Pro SP3 now for a few hours and not a single crash. Prior to my problems I had been running windows 7 for at least a year without any problems until I ran the windows update and installed SP1 and a hundred other updates which slowed down my PC and started Blue Screening a lot. I guess I will stick with XP Pro for a while; whilst not the best solution, it will do for now. A big thanks to ZigZag3143x for helping me thus far. I will now mark this thread as answered because I dont think there is any point continuing unless I reinstall Windows 7 again and start to have problems again. My skydrive has now gone with the new install so wont bother with that again until next time something goes wrong. Best wishes.
    Friday, March 8, 2013 10:53 PM
  • We do need the actual DMP file as it contains the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.
    You may be able to get the DMP files without crashing by booting into safe mode (F8) with networking.
    If you are overclocking stop.  (chances are if you dont know if you are, you are not)a
    To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder.

The procedure:

* Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
    * Zip up the copy.
    * Attach the ZIP archive to your post using the "paperclip" (file attachments) button. (if available on  your site, MS doesnt have this)
     *Please upload them to a file sharing service like Skydrive or"Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.
    Link for how to  upload below.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Use-SkyDrive

To ensure minidumps are enabled:

* Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
    * Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
    * Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
    * Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
    * Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
    * OK your way out.
    * Reboot if changes have been made.

Please also run MSinfo32 and upload the output as well.
    To run MSinfo32 please go to start>run>MSinfo32
    Go to "file" "save" and upload the saved file with the DMPS
    (Instructions for XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8)
    System specs are often useful so include whatever you know

Wanikiya & Dyami -Team-ZigZag.

• Marked as answer by Gareth Aspin Friday, March 8, 2013 10:53 PM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:57 PM
  •  These crashes were caused by memory corruption (probably a driver).  Please run these two tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem.  

*Dont forget to upload any further DMP files (especially those when verifier is running)

*If you are overclocking anything reset to default before running these tests.
    In other words STOP!!!   If you dont know what this means you probably arent

1-Memtest.
    *Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. http://www.memtest.org 
    *Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.
    *Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.
    *Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

Any errors are indicative of a memory problem.
    If a known good stick fails in a motherboard slot it is probably the slot.

2-Driver verifier

Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition. Most times it'll crash and it'll tell you what the driver is.

*But sometimes it'll crash and won't tell you the driver.
    *Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registry to disable Driver Verifier.
    *I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise.
    *Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

*In Windows 7 you can make a Startup Repair disk by going to Start....All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc - with Windows Vista you'll have to use your installation disk or the "Repair your computer" option at the top of the Safe Mode menu .

Here is the procedure:

- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    - Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
    - Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
    - Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
    - Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
    *Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
    - Select "Finish" on the next page.
    *Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.
    *Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.
    *If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
    *If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

*Further Reading
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617

Thursday, March 7, 2013 2:07 PM
  • Memtest86 Results

My knowledge of memory is a bit limited, suffice to say I can install it and know what timings it should run at. I have only 1GB Ram (2x512MB) dual channel. Corsair CMX512-3200XLPT. The advertised timings are 2-2-2-5 which are manuallys Set in BIOS. There are also two other entries in BIOS called Trrd which I have left on Auto and one for Timing of 1T or 2T which is set at 1T.

Whilst I could get both memory sticks to work solo at the advertised speeds in single channel mode, I could not get the same results with Dual Channel Mode without errors and had to manually change the timings.

Test 1:- First memory Stick in First Slot at 2-2-2-5 with 6 passes and zero errors

test 2:- Other Single memory Stick in Slot 2 at 2-2-2-5 with 6 passes and no errors

Then things started to get very frustrating for me as at this stage I was quite happy that both memory Sticks were working perfectly at the advertised speeds.

Test3:- Both memory sticks, one in slot 1 and one in slot 2 with Zero passes and errors!

This lead me to believe that the memory does not work at the advertised speed in dual channel mode so I started loosening the timings a bit.

test 4:-Both memory sticks at 2-2-2-5 Zero Passes and errors. (I changed the 1T to 2T Setting in Bios)

test 5:- Both memory Srticks at 2.5-2-2-5 Zero Passes with errors

Test 6:-Both memory sticks at 3-3-3-6 with 6 Passes with zero errors. (Sucess at last!)

I am now happy that the memtest86 errors have been eliminated, but alas the Blue Screens are happening more frequently.

I will start the Driver Verifier Stage Tomorrow. I have a question about this stage. I followed the procedure and rebvooted at the end. When my pc rebooted, I could not tell if it was actually doing anything. I had a few crashes since then and am unsure whether to start the Verifier procedure again after each crash or whether once is suffice? Please advise on this.

here are todays MiniDumps 7 March 2013 https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=3D647DA3DE6553D3!147

Friday, March 8, 2013 12:19 AM
  • I ran another Memtest86 overnight and had 11+ passes without errors using both sticks at 3-3-3-6 timings.

OK I have started the verifier process and have to say that my PC is crashing a lot more. In fact, with the verifer enabled, my PC is unusable and I am lucky if I can last for a minute without a crash. I have tried using my PC in safe mode, but the crashes occur then as well, albeit, every 10 minutes and not every minute.

I accidentally deleted 10 Dump Files for 8 March 2013, but will zip the rest of the crashes for 8 March 2013 and add them to my "skydrive" public folder at the end of the day and link them here.

I did note some of the error codes which I deleted though and are as follows:-

Ntfs.sys - Stop Code 24

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT - Stop Code 4E

Win32K.sys - Stop code 8E

USBPORT.sys - Stop Code BE

I now have to turn off verifier to enable posting here, but will turn it back on now.

Friday, March 8, 2013 12:07 PM

All replies

• We do need the actual DMP file as it contains the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.
    You may be able to get the DMP files without crashing by booting into safe mode (F8) with networking.
    If you are overclocking stop.  (chances are if you dont know if you are, you are not)a
    To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder.

The procedure:

* Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
    * Zip up the copy.
    * Attach the ZIP archive to your post using the "paperclip" (file attachments) button. (if available on  your site, MS doesnt have this)
     *Please upload them to a file sharing service like Skydrive or"Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.
    Link for how to  upload below.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Use-SkyDrive

To ensure minidumps are enabled:

* Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
    * Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
    * Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
    * Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
    * Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
    * OK your way out.
    * Reboot if changes have been made.

Please also run MSinfo32 and upload the output as well.
    To run MSinfo32 please go to start>run>MSinfo32
    Go to "file" "save" and upload the saved file with the DMPS
    (Instructions for XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8)
    System specs are often useful so include whatever you know

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:57 PM
  • Many Thanks for this info

After being a bit baffled by the SkyDrive website for a while, I managed to install the SkyDrive Software and upload the two requested files, being the mini dump Zip and the MSinfo file.

Unable to post the link until account verification but will do so as soon as I get it.

I was able to select 128KB and not 256KB so hope this is ok.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 11:51 PM
  • Looks like my account has finally been verified on here:-

I enclose the proper skydive link below for all the files you have requested.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=3D647DA3DE6553D3!147&authkey=!ACDmsGEKOryE6ho

Thursday, March 7, 2013 1:11 PM
  •  These crashes were caused by memory corruption (probably a driver).  Please run these two tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem.  

*Dont forget to upload any further DMP files (especially those when verifier is running)

*If you are overclocking anything reset to default before running these tests.
    In other words STOP!!!   If you dont know what this means you probably arent

1-Memtest.
    *Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. http://www.memtest.org 
    *Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.
    *Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.
    *Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

Any errors are indicative of a memory problem.
    If a known good stick fails in a motherboard slot it is probably the slot.

2-Driver verifier

Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition. Most times it'll crash and it'll tell you what the driver is.

*But sometimes it'll crash and won't tell you the driver.
    *Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registry to disable Driver Verifier.
    *I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise.
    *Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

*In Windows 7 you can make a Startup Repair disk by going to Start....All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc - with Windows Vista you'll have to use your installation disk or the "Repair your computer" option at the top of the Safe Mode menu .

Here is the procedure:

- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    - Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
    - Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
    - Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
    - Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
    *Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
    - Select "Finish" on the next page.
    *Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.
    *Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.
    *If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
    *If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

*Further Reading
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617

Thursday, March 7, 2013 2:07 PM
  • Memtest86 Results

My knowledge of memory is a bit limited, suffice to say I can install it and know what timings it should run at. I have only 1GB Ram (2x512MB) dual channel. Corsair CMX512-3200XLPT. The advertised timings are 2-2-2-5 which are manuallys Set in BIOS. There are also two other entries in BIOS called Trrd which I have left on Auto and one for Timing of 1T or 2T which is set at 1T.

Whilst I could get both memory sticks to work solo at the advertised speeds in single channel mode, I could not get the same results with Dual Channel Mode without errors and had to manually change the timings.

Test 1:- First memory Stick in First Slot at 2-2-2-5 with 6 passes and zero errors

test 2:- Other Single memory Stick in Slot 2 at 2-2-2-5 with 6 passes and no errors

Then things started to get very frustrating for me as at this stage I was quite happy that both memory Sticks were working perfectly at the advertised speeds.

Test3:- Both memory sticks, one in slot 1 and one in slot 2 with Zero passes and errors!

This lead me to believe that the memory does not work at the advertised speed in dual channel mode so I started loosening the timings a bit.

test 4:-Both memory sticks at 2-2-2-5 Zero Passes and errors. (I changed the 1T to 2T Setting in Bios)

test 5:- Both memory Srticks at 2.5-2-2-5 Zero Passes with errors

Test 6:-Both memory sticks at 3-3-3-6 with 6 Passes with zero errors. (Sucess at last!)

I am now happy that the memtest86 errors have been eliminated, but alas the Blue Screens are happening more frequently.

I will start the Driver Verifier Stage Tomorrow. I have a question about this stage. I followed the procedure and rebvooted at the end. When my pc rebooted, I could not tell if it was actually doing anything. I had a few crashes since then and am unsure whether to start the Verifier procedure again after each crash or whether once is suffice? Please advise on this.

here are todays MiniDumps 7 March 2013 https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=3D647DA3DE6553D3!147

Friday, March 8, 2013 12:19 AM
  • I ran another Memtest86 overnight and had 11+ passes without errors using both sticks at 3-3-3-6 timings.

OK I have started the verifier process and have to say that my PC is crashing a lot more. In fact, with the verifer enabled, my PC is unusable and I am lucky if I can last for a minute without a crash. I have tried using my PC in safe mode, but the crashes occur then as well, albeit, every 10 minutes and not every minute.

I accidentally deleted 10 Dump Files for 8 March 2013, but will zip the rest of the crashes for 8 March 2013 and add them to my "skydrive" public folder at the end of the day and link them here.

I did note some of the error codes which I deleted though and are as follows:-

Ntfs.sys - Stop Code 24

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT - Stop Code 4E

Win32K.sys - Stop code 8E

USBPORT.sys - Stop Code BE

I now have to turn off verifier to enable posting here, but will turn it back on now.

Friday, March 8, 2013 12:07 PM
  • Tried to Reinstall windows 7 today but no luck. Have managed to put XP Pro without any crashes and its running like a charm, so far no crashes. Ill post later on today as I have to go out now. To tell you the truth, I just couldnt cope with all the Blue Screens and cant live without my pc for more than a few hours, let alone a few days. Hence the reason for the Reinstall of Windows.

Friday, March 8, 2013 4:21 PM
  • I have been running XP Pro SP3 now for a few hours and not a single crash. Prior to my problems I had been running windows 7 for at least a year without any problems until I ran the windows update and installed SP1 and a hundred other updates which slowed down my PC and started Blue Screening a lot. I guess I will stick with XP Pro for a while; whilst not the best solution, it will do for now. A big thanks to ZigZag3143x for helping me thus far. I will now mark this thread as answered because I dont think there is any point continuing unless I reinstall Windows 7 again and start to have problems again. My skydrive has now gone with the new install so wont bother with that again until next time something goes wrong. Best wishes.
    Friday, March 8, 2013 10:53 PM
  • GA

Any progress to report?

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 4:36 AM