none
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

Question

•  

Summary
    -------
    I have a brand new DELL Inspiron 1525 and have loaded Windows Vista Ultimate on it.
    It was working fine for 4 days, until it started downloading updates via Windows Update.

Now it fails to boot up with the following symptoms:

1. I get a message saying "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.
    To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart the computer.
    2. Choose your language settings and click next.
    3. Click "repair your computer"

It also gives me the following options:

4. Safe Mode
    5. Safe Mode with networking
    6. Safe Mode with Command Prompt
    7. Last known good configuration
    8. Start Windows normally

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:21 AM

Answers

• I solved this issue.
    Please see my solution at
    http://www.shailen.sukul.org/2008/02/windows-failed-to-start-recent-hardware.html

Hope it helps others as I have wasted 4 hours on this problem.

With Regards
    Shailen Sukul

Software Architect/Developer/Consultant
    (BSc | Mcts (Biztalk (IP))  | Mcpd | Mcts (Web, Win, Dist Apps) | Mcsd.NET | Mcsd | Mcad)
    Ashlen Consulting Services Pty Ltd
    (http://www.ashlen.com.au)

MSN | Skype | GTalk Id: shailensukul
    Ph:  +61 0421 277 812
    Fax: +61 3 9011 9732
    Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/shailensukul

• Edited by Shailen Sukul Monday, February 27, 2012 5:04 PM Updated solution link
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:24 AM

All replies

• I solved this issue.
    Please see my solution at
    http://www.shailen.sukul.org/2008/02/windows-failed-to-start-recent-hardware.html

With Regards
    Shailen Sukul

(BSc | Mcts (Biztalk (IP))  | Mcpd | Mcts (Web, Win, Dist Apps) | Mcsd.NET | Mcsd | Mcad)

• Edited by Shailen Sukul Monday, February 27, 2012 5:04 PM Updated solution link
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:24 AM
  • hi there
     have a problem like this i was on vist and i didntwant it any more so using vista boot pro and i made my older version windows xp my defalt and changed its drve from c to d and the i change the vist one from defalt to non defalt and changed its drive from d to c. now when  turn on the computer it has Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.and nstructions but i cant get into my xp or my vista and i cant get into safe mode. it say this for both of the to what do i do?
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:13 AM
  • Please try the steps I identified above and let me know if it solves your issue.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:19 AM
  • I have the same problem BUT I do not have access to my Installation disk with me as I am on vacation!!!  Help someone!
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 2:12 AM
  •  Shailen Sukul wrote:
    I solved this issue.
    Please see my solution at http://shailensukul.blogspot.com/2008/02/windows-failed-to-start-recent-hardware.html

With Regards
    Shailen Sukul

I've also got this problem, but the said thing is that the repair option fails and I get the option to send a report to Microsoft. Is there anything I can do besides install Windows Vista all over again. Will I then lose all my data? Is there any folder called Windows.old created and will I then find my data (files and folders) there?

Saturday, August 09, 2008 11:23 PM
  • You should try the repair option.  If not, Vista does not erase your My Documents folder, unless you format the drive.  You should be able to install over the old Vista.  But you will loose your programs without re-installing them again.

Also your Outlook Express most likely not work, but the files are there.  You just have to copy / move them to the newly created directory when you recreate a login.  Outlook creates a folder with a bunch of numbers for each user.  How to copy those files are on the web.

Sunday, August 10, 2008 5:35 AM
  • hey, i've encountered this error a couple of times on my laptop and ended up having to reinstall vista, the problem with mine is i cant seem to choose the repair option. Every time use my Recovery disk and then select the language, it moves straigth to vista installation witout the option of repair. is there any way i can repair my laptop? i would rather not delete all my files there this time =/. tanx ^^

Friday, October 31, 2008 3:33 AM
  • I had this same situation after installing sp1 on Vista Ultimate. None of the alternate start methods work. It stops loading at: !! OXC0190002 !! 2806/73145. I haven't tried the repair option yet because I have a Vista Home Basic DVD that came with the computer, but I upgraded to Ultimate online. Can I use the Home disk for repair? The only thing I really need to recover are Outlook files. If I have to install again, will I be able to recover the files? Would I install Home Basic again & then access my upgrade online with the Windows Anytime Upgrade disk?

Thanks.

Friday, October 31, 2008 3:32 PM
  • I have the same issue.. only i'm not on vacation -_-
    did u ever fix it?
    • Proposed as answer by Zombi3mom Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:43 AM
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 5:45 PM
  • I have a very similar problem, except I do not have the option of booting in any form of Safe Mode (I only have the options to boot normally or to go to startup repair...which inevitably stalls and fails) I have attempted to use a recovery CD and tried to access the system repair portion, but the process stalls during its "Searching for Windows Installations...) phase, and just keeps scanning, never detecting my copy of Vista. Has anyone experienced this problem or have an idea how how to fix it? Thanks

Summary
    -------
    I have a brand new DELL Inspiron 1525 and have loaded Windows Vista Ultimate on it.
    It was working fine for 4 days, until it started downloading updates via Windows Update.

Now it fails to boot up with the following symptoms:

1. I get a message saying "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.
    To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart the computer.
    2. Choose your language settings and click next.
    3. Click "repair your computer"

It also gives me the following options:

4. Safe Mode
    5. Safe Mode with networking
    6. Safe Mode with Command Prompt
    7. Last known good configuration
    8. Start Windows normally

Friday, May 15, 2009 5:33 AM
  • here's the solution to this problem

please let me know it help

read thr so you can understand.

read then try installing win7 again

Advanced Host Controller Interface

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is a technical standard defined by the Intel Corporation that specifies the operation of Serial ATA (SATA) host bus adapters in a non-implementation-specific manner.

The specification describes a system memory structure for computer hardware vendors to exchange data between host system memory and attached storage devices. AHCI gives software developers and hardware designers a standard method for detecting, configuring, and programming SATA/AHCI adapters. AHCI is separate from the SATA 3Gb/s standard, although it exposes SATA's advanced capabilities (such as hot swapping and native command queuing) such that host systems can utilize them.

As of October 2010<sup class="plainlinks noprint asof-tag update" style="display: none;">[update]</sup>, the current version of the specification is v. 1.3.

[edit] Operating modes

Many SATA controllers offer selectable modes of operation: legacy Parallel ATA emulation, standard AHCI mode, or vendor-specific RAID (which generally enables AHCI in order to take advantage of its capabilities). Intel recommends choosing RAID mode on their motherboards (which also enables AHCI) rather than AHCI/SATA mode for maximum flexibility.<sup id="cite_ref-intel_0-0" class="reference">[1]</sup> Legacy mode is a software backward-compatibility mechanism intended to allow the SATA controller to run in legacy operating systems which are not SATA-aware or where a driver does not exist to make the operating system SATA-aware.

[edit] Operating system support

AHCI is supported out of the box on Windows Vista (and later versions of Windows), Linux operating systems (from kernel 2.6.19 onwards), OpenBSD (version 4.1 onwards), NetBSD, FreeBSD and Solaris 10 (8/07 and onwards).<sup id="cite_ref-1" class="reference">[2]</sup> DragonFlyBSD based its AHCI implementation on OpenBSD's and added extended features such as port multiplier support. Older versions of operating systems require hardware-specific drivers in order to support AHCI. Windows XP does not provide support out of the box.

Some operating systems, notably Windows Vista and Windows 7, do not configure themselves to load the AHCI driver upon boot if the drive controller was not in AHCI mode at the time of installation. This can cause failure to boot with an error message if the SATA controller is later switched to AHCI mode

. For this reason, Intel recommends changing the drive controller to AHCI or RAID before installing an operating system.<sup id="cite_ref-intel_0-1" class="reference">[1]</sup> On Windows Vista and Windows 7, this can be fixed by booting in legacy mode and changing the registry.<sup id="cite_ref-2" class="reference">[3]</sup> A similar problem can occur on Linux systems if the AHCI driver is built as a module, rather than included in the kernel, as it may not be loaded into the initrd (initial RAM disk) created when in legacy mode; the workaround is to build a new initrd containing the AHCI module.<sup id="cite_ref-3" class="reference">[4]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-4" class="reference"></sup>

Thursday, May 19, 2011 10:59 PM
  • Hey i had a similar issue to this, um when i go to start repair (recommended) then it tells me it can not automatically switch i click on go to advanced restore options, then i click on system restore, and although it seems like its bugged or nothing is happening if you just wait like 10-15 mins or so it pops up with a restore point, just use the latest restore point to minimise loss of data.

This worked for me :D i thought i was going to have to by a new Hard disk...

The issue seemed to have been with a download of mine that i made, and maybe a combination of me holding down the power off button during what seemed to be a crucial time for the system.

Sunday, July 24, 2011 2:31 AM
  • Hey buys , check this out .. I tried to format many times hoping to solve the problem but iy difn't work .. I tried the f8 technique but the same screen appeared again .. I tried to go through the repair-windows method but it didn't work .. Actually after many hopeless attempts my hand was moving automaticly with me chatting on the phone and boooooo .. The repzir method suddenly worked out and i don't how .. I think it's s lucky shot but try it better than waiting for microsoft's useless solutions Regards to all the struggling customers of this inc ..
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 6:31 PM
  • Hello I Mamdouh I want to help correct my problem. I have a HP laptop and installed windows 7 from the original parent company. Within the hard disk is the retrofit to install windows 7 and when you press the F-11 when the startup message appears and I want the right solution and Hama e-mail my the.moon20011 @ hotmail.com
    And Hazh Let the message that appears when you press the F-11
    windows failed to start. a recent hardware
    1 insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2 choose your language settings, and then click "next"
    3 click "repair your computer." or softw if your do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.
    info: the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.
    He thanked the private to you and me. Wait for response in solutionare change might be the cause. to fix the problem;
    The real problem is I do not have the disk with the Windows 7 computer Alaik Hama is to solve the problem please resolve Almrall Hazh. Thank you very essential???
    • Edited by mamdwh Monday, December 26, 2011 3:02 AM
    Monday, December 26, 2011 2:50 AM
  • If everything on this page failed for you (like it did for me xD) you can download Ubuntu and use that as your operating system. I tried re-loading and repairing windows but nothing happened, but when I popped in a disk I rewrote with Ubuntu (you can use a usb aswell) it worked for some reason. If you still really want windows i sure you can safely load it from Ubuntu aswell.
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 10:30 AM