none
Windows Search Service not intended for Enterprise scenarios RRS feed

• Question

• We are developing a Windows 7 deployment and we would like to have our homeshares indexed on our fileservers so our users can easily search their remote document libraries.

In order to search remote libraries you can install the "Windows Search Service" role service on a Windows Server 2008 R2. BUT there is a warning that "Windows Search Service is intended for desktop search or small file server scenarios, and NOT for enterprise scenarios".

I would prefer to have some numbers. At what size you should look for an alternative for Windows Search Service. We roughly have 10 fileservers with 5 TB each serving 30000 users with 1-2 GB homeshares.

And what is a good alternative?

Kind regards,
    Danny Quak
    Wageningen University, The Netherlands

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 3:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Danny, to answer an earlier question of yours - based on the quantity of pc's/users/servers/storage you mention - you are an enterprise.

You should also find your questions attract more relevant experts in a windowsserver forum.
    I would not recommend considering Windows Search (at the client) for your purposes. 13000 client pc's attempting to index remote content on your servers is most unlikely to deliver an acceptable experience (to either your users or the network admins!)

If index/search is very important to your project, you will need to seriously consider an alternative content management approach.
    Perhaps MS enterprise search for SharePoint, rather than traditional file shares, or, a datacentre-grade storage platform - there are many choices.

I would recommend you consider an experienced solutions architect/consultant for a project of this scale.

(I am part of a 45000 seat enterprise with very large WAN and would not enter into a project as described without consultancy)

HTH

Saturday, September 4, 2010 8:14 AM
  • Hi,

There is no limitation on indexed numbers or size. In enterprise environments Enterprise Search is recommended because it is more suitable for enterprise networks. I agree with tesgroup. You may consider MS enterprise search for SharePoint.

Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 - Enterprise Search  TechNet 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, September 6, 2010 4:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Danny,

Thanks for posting in Technet.

Windows Search is included in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. We are not able to install Windows Desktop Search in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

In Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, if you would like to index a folder on a network location, you need to map the folder in local computer and make it available offline.

Create a shortcut to (map) a network drive

Understanding offline files 

You can also consider the following workaround.

Add a non-indexed UNC as a library
    ===========================
    1. Create a folder on your hard drive for shares. i.e. c:\share
    2. Create another folder in the above share. i.e. c:\share\music
    2. Link the Library to this folder.
    3. Delete the folder.
    4. Use the mklink in an elevated command prompt to make a symbolic link. Name the link the same as the folder you created above.
    i.e - mklink /d c:\share\music \\server\music
    5. Done. Now you have non-indexed UNC path as a library.

Arthur Xie
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum 
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 9:04 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to check how things going. Is there any more information needed?

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 9:42 AM
  • Hi Arthur,

Thanks for your reply, I will try to be more specific.

We have 13000 desktops and 30000 accounts now running on XP. All the accounts have homeshares located in shares on a Windows 2003 fileserver.
    We want to migrate to Windows 7 and would like to have the homeshares indexed so that the search in Windows 7 will work fine.

Our fileservers will also migrate to Server 2008 R2

As I understand it, it should be possible to add a remote folder as a library and use the search of the local Windows 7 if it is indexed by Windows Search Service on the fileserver where the remote folder is located. However at enabling the Windows Search Service on the 2008 R2 fileserver there is a warning that the search service is NOT for Enterprise scenarios.

Now what I would like to know is: is our organization an enterprise or are we small enough to turn on this Search Service on our fileservers? Is there a significant performance drop whenever the server is busy indexing? If the Search Service is not advisable, what would be the enterprise alternative?

Making homeshares available offline is not an option as our students are roaming on many different desktop computers.
    Also your workaround of adding a non-indexed UNC as a library is not an option: it will be visable as a library but it is still not indexed.

Kind regards,
    Danny Quak

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 10:29 AM
  • Hi,

The search service is included in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. With this service you can search in local machine or network drives. Whether the shares are on Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008 R2, if a Windows 7 client wants to index a shared folder on the server, we should configure Windows Desktop Search in client system. Windows Desktop Search only index local contents but cannot index network folders.

If you want to index a network share, it is required to map it and make available offline.

Friday, September 3, 2010 7:50 AM
  • I'm sorry Arthur, but this not what I meant.

Let me rephrase: It should not be required to make files available offline if the fileserver is indexing the files. The Search Service on the fileserver (2008 R2) warns me about that this should not be used in an enterprise environment.

My question is at what characteristics (in number of users, files or terabytes) the Search Service on 2008 R2 should not be used anymore. And what should be the alternative then.

Kind regards,
    Danny Quak

Friday, September 3, 2010 2:39 PM
  • Hi Danny, to answer an earlier question of yours - based on the quantity of pc's/users/servers/storage you mention - you are an enterprise.

You should also find your questions attract more relevant experts in a windowsserver forum.
    I would not recommend considering Windows Search (at the client) for your purposes. 13000 client pc's attempting to index remote content on your servers is most unlikely to deliver an acceptable experience (to either your users or the network admins!)

If index/search is very important to your project, you will need to seriously consider an alternative content management approach.
    Perhaps MS enterprise search for SharePoint, rather than traditional file shares, or, a datacentre-grade storage platform - there are many choices.

I would recommend you consider an experienced solutions architect/consultant for a project of this scale.

(I am part of a 45000 seat enterprise with very large WAN and would not enter into a project as described without consultancy)

HTH

Saturday, September 4, 2010 8:14 AM
  • Hi,

There is no limitation on indexed numbers or size. In enterprise environments Enterprise Search is recommended because it is more suitable for enterprise networks. I agree with tesgroup. You may consider MS enterprise search for SharePoint.

Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 - Enterprise Search  TechNet 

Monday, September 6, 2010 4:15 AM
  • In Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, if you would like to index a folder on a network location, you need to map the folder in local computer and make it available offline.

False.

By indexing your file server or other supporting device (ie not a NAS, but something that can get a meta data based index to pass back to Win 7 search) you can fully search from your local machine a network repository without making it avaialble offline.

TechEd NA 2010 had a nice session on this: http://www.msteched.com/2010/NorthAmerica/WCL307 (libraries and indexing is around the 16 min mark of the video)

Monday, September 6, 2010 5:05 AM
  • what size you should look for an alternative for Windows Search Service. We roughly have 10 fileservers with 5 TB each serving 30000 users with 1-2 GB homeshares.

Your answer is likely to only come with testing.  After the initial indexing of the data the regular indexing of the data will process based on file changes.  Its likely that a large file server as you've mentioned with 5TB of data will have a lower impact with few file changes than a file server with 1TB of data and large amounts of file changes.
    • Proposed as answer by T W Monday, April 13, 2015 10:25 PM
    Monday, September 6, 2010 5:09 AM
  • Hi Danny,

Is there anything we could help? If so please feel free to post here.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 6:48 AM