migration for sbs 2003 (with exchange 2003) to windows 2012 essential RRS feed

• Question

• Dear sirs,

i m trying to plan a migration from sbs 2003 server with exchange, to windows 2012 essential, probably with exchange 2010 or 2012 (still i am not so sure about what is easier to achieve).

Before proceding i would love to setup a test environment but i am finding several problems:

1) the license of the sbs2003 server is OEM, so how can i build a test environment in a situation like that? Is it possible

to virtualize the server somehow and ask Microsoft for a temporary license for that?

2)If i am unable to virtualize and create a test environment, can i easily add the 2012 server essential as a Domain controller to replicate the 2003 sbs server, and if everything is ok eventually promote the 2012 to PDC and demote (but not turn off) the 2003 server?

The idea in this case is to have at least 2012 essential as the PDC and keep the exchange server still on 2003 to procede later with the exchange migration.

I red somewhere that a domain with sbs can have only one domain controller and it seems that i have to turn off the 2003 sbs server in 21 days if i add to the domain a new PDC. Is it true?

Thanks in advance for the answer.

Regards

Filippo

Monday, March 7, 2016 6:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>the license of the sbs2003 server is OEM, so how can i build a test environment in a situation like that? Is it possible.
    If you want to build a test environment, I would recommend you to contact the OEM/Manufacturers, and confirm that if there is a possibility to obtain a copy of SBS 2003. 

Or, you may obtain the SBS 2003 ISO file from MSDN Subscription if you have the subscription account. Otherwise, there is no official download link:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/downloads/hh442898

>can i easily add the 2012 server essential as a Domain controller to replicate the 2003 sbs server, and if everything is ok eventually promote the 2012 to PDC and demote (but not turn off) the 2003 server?
    In general, migration process is briefly summed up as follows:
    1. Back up source server/data
    2. Install new Essentials server in migration mode(including adding the server to current SBS domain)
    3. Join client to Essentials server
    4. Move setting and data
    5. Demote and remove SBS 2003.

Below is official document - Migrate Windows Small Business Server 2003 to Windows Server 2012 Essentials – which has provided the details about migration:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj200112.aspx

Your description is probably correct, I would also recommend you to follow the link above for detail steps.

>a domain with sbs can have only one domain controller and it seems that i have to turn off the 2003 sbs server in 21 days if i add to the domain a new PDC. 
    “only one domain controller” is not absolutely right. SBS/Essentials should be the PDC on domain, and there should be only one SBS/Essentials server in the same domain. You can add another Windows Server and configure it as additional DC.

Reference blog - Debunking Myths About Additional Domain Controllers In SBS Domains - for the details:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sbs/2007/10/04/debunking-myths-about-additional-domain-controllers-in-sbs-domains/

However, there is an exception – during migration, there can be 2 SBS/Essentials server in same domain, for a grace period of 21 days for completing the entire migration.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 8:32 AM