none
[SOLVED?] Media Center: An error was encountered while recording"...". Error code: -2147024891

Question

• Does anyone have any suggestions how to resolve the above error with Media Center under Windows 7 RC (64-bit)

I have been running Media Center on this machine successfully for several weeks, successfully recording may shows each day, and have made no hardware changes.  However, since 7 July I have recieved an error message of 'Recording Error: An error was encountered while recording "<programme name>". Error code: -2147024891' on every scheduled or ad-hoch attempt to record programmes on any channel.

The error does not appear until the programe recording attempts to start, and I even get this error message whien I press the record button while watching a programme in Live TV. 

The programme guide and Live TV are working fine ... just whenever I try to record someting it fails with Error Code -2147024891.

ANy suggestions, please?

Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:40 PM

All replies

• For the benefit of anyone else who experiences this problem,  I have solved it on my system and it seems to be caused by sharing the Recorded TV folder.

The steps I went through were ... in Media Center settings I changed recorded TV to a different disk drive .... this created a new Recorded TV folder on that drive and recordings immediatly started working again.  This suggested that the problem waselated to the original disk or folder.

I then checked the settings on the original folder and it was configured as a shared folder ... either the kids had been messing around or I'd done something under the "afflience of incohol"  (hic).  Either way, I removed the folder sharing, wenback into Media Center and changed the Recorded TV settings back to the original disk ... and ey presto, no problems recording.

If anyone from Microsoft reads this, you may want to test this and look at generating a more helpful error message or automatic fix ("Media Center has detected that you are attempting to record TV to a shared folder, which is not allowed.  Do you wish to unshare the folder to continue recording TV?")

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Monday, November 1, 2010 1:25 PM
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 7:51 AM
  • Many thanks for your post! I'll try my luck with your suggestions.

brgds

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:04 PM
  • Great find
    Monday, July 26, 2010 1:25 PM
  • Thanks Geordie!  You've helped a bloke half way round the world...  I've noted in the MCE Online Help that the info you've got here should be in their help folder.  Especially given that sharing files round the house to watch on bigger screens can only become more common.

Gotta say, too, I didn't see this noted on The Green Button, on Hack7MC, or on any of the other places I looked (xpmediacentre.com.au, DTVForums.com.au, etc).  I'm so stoked I stumbed into your thread!

Monday, November 1, 2010 12:17 PM
  • Thanks for finding this. I was going crazy trying to fix this. I wonder why we can't share the recorded tv folder? When is Microsoft ever going to stop with the error -2147024891messages? Also surprised that google and bing come up empty when I search for this negative number. I only found this forum after searching for An error was encountered while recording. THANK YOU for posting. Also removing the share didn't help. I am forever banned from recording on my C drive now. Oh well at least I have another drive.
    Monday, July 11, 2011 5:26 AM
  • you can share Recorded TV. do you have password sharing turned on? or are you
    using a homegroup? or ??? are you logged onto a user with limited privileges?
    does this happen in ALL users?

see if
    and the answers on PlayReady and resetting DRM are of assistance.

Additionally, have you always had this issue?

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 05:26:29 +0000, flagrantHippo wrote:

>Thanks for finding this. I was going crazy trying to fix this. I wonder why we can't share the recorded tv folder? When is Microsoft ever going to stop with the error -2147024891messages? Also surprised that google and bing come up empty when I search for this negative number. I only found this forum after searching for An error was encountered while recording. THANK YOU for posting. Also removing the share didn't help. I am forever banned from recording on my C drive now. Oh well at least I have another drive.

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Monday, July 11, 2011 10:19 AM
  • After months with no issues recording programs in Windows Media Center on Windows 7 x64, I have encountered this same issue as of yesterday.  I tried the above fix with no success. I restored my operating system drive to an image prior to when the isue started, still no success.  Please help!
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 3:42 PM
  • 1. can you watch live TV without issues?
    2. how full is the drive where you store recorded tv and how much of the drive
    is allocated to tv storage?
    3. does this happen on ALL channels?

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 15:42:26 +0000, MileHighMagic wrote:

>After months with no issues recording programs in Windows Media Center on Windows 7 x64, I have encountered this same issue as of yesterday.  I tried the above fix with no success. I restored my operating system drive to an image prior to when the isue started, still no success.  Please help!

Barb Bowman

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:34 AM
  • Thanks Barb, your post prompted me to remember the setting in Windows Media Center that controls which drive is the storage for Windows Media Center.

Here were my steps to resolve (some may be extraneous steps but I mention them just in case):

1. Created a new folder on a different drive
    2. Changed the "Recorded TV" Library to only include the new folder
    3. In Windows Media Center, changed the Settings > TV > Recorder > Recorder Storage to record on the drive of the new folder
    4. Turned-off sharing on the original drive on which I recorded TV
    5. Confirmed recording now worked
    6. Changed the above back to the original settings, no issues since!
    Monday, December 5, 2011 9:07 AM
  • glad this is resolved

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 09:07:19 +0000, MileHighMagic wrote:

>
    >
    >Thanks Barb, your post prompted me to remember the setting in Windows Media Center that controls which drive is the storage for Windows Media Center.
    >
    >Here were my steps to resolve (some may be extraneous steps but I mention them just in case): 1. Created a new folder on a different drive 2. Changed the "Recorded TV" Library to only include the new folder 3. In Windows Media Center, changed the Settings > TV > Recorder > Recorder Storage to record on the drive of the new folder 4. Turned-off sharing on the original drive on which I recorded TV 5. Confirmed recording now worked 6. Changed the above back to the original settings, no issues since!

Barb Bowman

Monday, December 5, 2011 10:15 AM
  • Thank you. This fixed my problem as well.

What I think is odd is that I changed recording from D: to C:. I rebooted and deleted D:\Recorded TV. I changed recording from C: back to D:. When WMC re-created D:\Recorded TV, it was still shared ... and recording worked again (just as it had for over a year, with a shared Recorded TV directory).

So, WMC does seem to be able to record in a shared Recorded TV directory, as Barb said, but it seems to get messed up if something changes with the Libraries or Homegroup or ... what? I'm not sure what, if anything, I changed in those, but it's possible I shared Recorded TV in the Library or HG or something like that and having WMC re-create the directory straightened it out.

P.S. As a software developer myself, I heartily support using English error messages rather than an inscrutable number like -2147024891 which no one, including the original developer, I bet, understands.

Monday, May 7, 2012 1:41 AM