none
Can you install 7 with external DVD drive on laptop?

Question

• I only have a laptop with no CD/DVD media drive and only have an external DVD drive which connects with a USB. Is it possible to still install Microsoft 7 on my laptop? I would like to partition my drive and dual boot with my Vista, but was wondering whether it was possible to boot from my external drive through the USB.

Thank you!
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Daonei,

Yes you can you just have to configure the bios to boot from USB device/dvd-rom/cd-rom or something. also make sure you enable USB support on the BIOS of your laptop motherboard.

Richard

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Daonei,

Yes you can you just have to configure the bios to boot from USB device/dvd-rom/cd-rom or something. also make sure you enable USB support on the BIOS of your laptop motherboard.

Richard

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:11 PM
  • Thanks Richard,

How do you go about enabling USB support on the bios of my laptop's motherboard?
    Any help would be great! Thank you!
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:35 PM
  • daonei said:

I only have a laptop with no CD/DVD media drive and only have an external DVD drive which connects with a USB. Is it possible to still install Microsoft 7 on my laptop? I would like to partition my drive and dual boot with my Vista, but was wondering whether it was possible to boot from my external drive through the USB.

Thank you!

yes and no. depends on your board and bios. only way to find out really is to try. plug in your drive, go into your bios and see if it shows up as a bootable device.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:23 PM
  • Installing any Microsoft Windows operating system on an external hard drive is not supported.
    Windows operating systems are designed for installation on internal drives only.
    Carey Frisch MVP
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:52 PM
  • I believe he wants to install FROM an external usb CD/DVD drive 
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:35 PM
  • Paul Hansen said:

daonei said:

I only have a laptop with no CD/DVD media drive and only have an external DVD drive which connects with a USB. Is it possible to still install Microsoft 7 on my laptop? I would like to partition my drive and dual boot with my Vista, but was wondering whether it was possible to boot from my external drive through the USB.

Thank you!

yes and no. depends on your board and bios. only way to find out really is to try. plug in your drive, go into your bios and see if it shows up as a bootable device.

Agreed on this. Well if you try to boot your laptop search for something like "press del for setup" or something related to  that. I dont know hou does your bios look like but look for something related to "USB support" for the enabling of USB. Look for the "First boot device" or something related to that term then select "boot from USB cd/dvd". I hope it helps... If you dont find the USB support then I think it will not work...

Richard
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:41 AM
  • Thank you so much!

I checked and see a possible option to boot from my external drive (USB CD) or something along those lines. Unfortunately, I am running into a bigger problem because I am unable to shrink and partition my C drive...It's only giving me about 400MB for some reason...When I turn of paging files (virtual memory?), it gives me a bit more (about 10GB), but it ends there...Can anyone help? How do I gain more space to partition my hard drive?

Thank you!!
    • Marked as answer by daonei Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:28 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by daonei Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:28 AM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:15 AM
  • Carey Frisch said:

Installing any Microsoft Windows operating system on an external hard drive is not supported.
    Windows operating systems are designed for installation on internal drives only.

Carey Frisch MVP

Funny, but I installed with external drive (SATA/USB connection) because for some reason, the DVD image disc would stop early on (in a new internal drive) with the message that it was missing some files and could not proceed.  This was with both a 64 bit and a 32 bit installation.

The external drive worked just fine (it appears as a bootable device in the BIOS).  Installation completed and Windows 7 came up OK. 

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:32 AM
  • Thank you all! I am now officially typing away using Windows 7! Feels and runs great! Thank you so much! In the end, I used a third party partitioner to partition my C drive and install Windows after my long battle to figure out all the steps. Thank you so much!!!
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:29 AM
  • Great ! Enjoy then :)

Richard
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:31 AM
  • @daonei - please excuse the self-promotion but I used this approach to install Windows 7 from an external hard drive on a machine with no DVD drive.
    Mark Wilson (MVP Virtual Machine) - http://www.markwilson.co.uk/blog/
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:59 PM
    Answerer
  • Just as an FYI, you don't need to burn the ISO to a DVD and install from the DVD.  You can directly mount the ISO as a virtual drive using a tool like Pismo File Mount, and installing from the virtual drive.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:32 PM
  • RJ Dudley, How exactly do you go about doing this? Could you give me step by step instructions?
    Marc Wilson, I'd love to go through your method, but don't have the skill level...I'm a complete novice.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:20 PM
  • Hi Daonei - sorry if I blinded you with command line commands.

It sounds as though the simplest approach for you is to create a DVD from the ISO file that you downloaded.  The trick here is to understand that the ISO file is a complete image of the DVD and not to end up with a disc with one file on it ending in .iso (most of us have done that when we're getting used to new CD/DVD burning tools).

Most CD/DVD-writing programs will let you create a disc from an image - there are many tools that will do the job well but I would suggest searching for something called ImgBurn (there is an associated guide on writing an image file to disk).  Alternatively, if you can find someone who already has Windows 7 installed, they you should be able to right-click on the .ISO file and choose the Burn disc image option from the menu.

Once you have a DVD image with the Windows 7 beta on it, you should be able to boot your system from your external USB drive (if your BIOS supports this and the boot order is set to allow it) and run the installer.

RJ Dudley's approach is a good one and avoids having to create a physical disc but is slightly more technical and you described yourself as a complete novice (I'm not familiar with the software he recommends but this link should help).

Good luck, Mark

Mark Wilson (MVP Virtual Machine) - http://www.markwilson.co.uk/blog/
    • Edited by mark-wilsonEditor Tuesday, January 27, 2009 12:19 AM Removed direct product link so no endorsement should be implied
    Friday, January 23, 2009 11:50 PM
    Answerer