none
Windows Explorer Freezes after plugging in external hardrive

Question

• Hi everyone, I have a brand new dell precision 4400 with 8G memory, and it comes with windows 7 x64.
    Whenever i plug in my external hard drive the window explorer just freezes(the green ribbon shows up, moves very slowly, and eventually stops at some point), If i am lucky i can click into a few folders, but after a few clicks it would freeze anyway, nothing can end the freezing or closes the windows explorer except unplugging the hard rive. This shouldn't be the problem of my external hard drive since it works perfectly well on other computers, and i also tried 4 other hard drive on my laptop and the same problem occurred to all of them.  I searched online and tried all possible solutions like uninstalling usb from device manager etc, but none of them worked. I found the post saying it's an "issue in the NVidia chipset with 64bit EHCI buffer handling on systems with greater than 4 Gb RAM" so I installed the suggested hotfix kb976972, but it didn't work either. Does anyone have some idea about this?

Thanks
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 2:36 PM

Answers

• Looks like it would be from a product called Trusted Drive Manager:  http://www.wave.com/products/tdm.asp, which appears to be disk encryption software.  I don't think disabling sounds like a good idea.  If the drive is encrypted, that might prevent you from accessing the data on it.

Does this look like some software that you would've installed?  If not, you might want to follow up with Dell to see if they have any updates, or if they can tell you how to safely uninstall this software.
    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, January 04, 2010 3:48 AM
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 5:30 PM

All replies

• I found the post saying it's an "issue in the NVidia chipset with 64bit EHCI buffer handling on systems with greater than 4 Gb RAM" so I installed the suggested hotfix kb976972, but it didn't work either. Does anyone have some idea about this?
    Hello Sarah,

By "don't work", do you mean that this hotfix fails to install with some error message?  Or do you mean that it didn't resolve the problem with explorer hanging?

What antivirus solution do you have on your machine?  As a temporary measure, can you try uninstalling it to see if you still have this problem?  (Please make sure that you have the necessary information, like the product key and the CD, so that you can reinstall this when you're done)

Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 5:04 PM
  •  

Hi,

Please answer Mark's question. Is the Hotfix installed successfully on the problematic machine?

If so, I suggest you try some other suggestions to troubleshoot the issue.

1. Perform a Clean Boot to check the result. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

2. Use ShellExView tool to disable some third party item.

The following link has some info and a download to ShellExView which you can use to selectively disable third party context menu handlers to find out a problematic one:

ShellExView

3. Run antivirus program and perform a full scanning.

4. Upgrade the Motherboard driver to check the result.

Thanks,

Novak

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 1:25 AM
  • Hi Mark, thanks for your reply! I successfully installed the hotfix but it didn't resolve the problem. I installed Microsoft Security Essentials yesterday to see if it's virus problem and no virus was detected. Other than that i don't have any anti-virus program installed.

thanks

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:04 AM
  • Hi Novak sorry for my late reply. This clean boot seem to work! I can now access my drive and copy paste without problem (touch wood!) I'm finally seeing some hope after days of desperate research, thank you so much. Here's the list of the non-Microsoft services i disabled, does any one of them look like the problem?

thanks!

Service Manufacturer
    Adobe Version Cue CS4 Adboe Systems incorporated
    Bluetooth Service Broadcom Corporation
    Dell ControlPoint Button Service Dell inc.
    Credential Vault Host Control Service Broadcom Corporation
    Credential Vault Host Storage Broadcom Corporation
    Dell ControlPoint System Manager Dell inc.
    FLEXnet Licensing Service Acresso Software Inc
    FLEXnet Licensing Service 64 Acresso Software Inc
    Intel(R) Matrix Storage Event Monitor Intel Corporation
    NVIDIA Performance Driver Service Unknown
    NVIDIA Display Driver Service NVIDIA Corporation
    SecureStorageService Wave System Corp.
    Audio Service IDT, Inc.
    stllssvr MicroVision Development, Inc.
    NTRU TSS v1.2.1.29 TCS Unknown
    TdmService Wave System Corp.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:42 AM
  • with the 50/50 approach I was able to narrow down the problem to TdmService, so far my external hard drive works fine. What is this TdmServices and is it okay if i permanently disable it?

thanks
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 11:41 AM
  • Looks like it would be from a product called Trusted Drive Manager:  http://www.wave.com/products/tdm.asp, which appears to be disk encryption software.  I don't think disabling sounds like a good idea.  If the drive is encrypted, that might prevent you from accessing the data on it.

Does this look like some software that you would've installed?  If not, you might want to follow up with Dell to see if they have any updates, or if they can tell you how to safely uninstall this software.
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, January 04, 2010 3:48 AM
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 5:30 PM