none
Windows 7: changing administrator password using net user administrator

Question

• In our environment we have the Administrator account enabled. As a local administrator, I am trying to change the Administrator password on 3300 PCs without touching them.

In the past, we have used a batch file to change the password.  However, now I am getting an error message that "The user name could not be found."  "More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2221."

I have already searched the net and found suggestions like enable admin account, but nothing works.

BTW, I know Windows 7 doesn't like .bat files, so we converted the line to a .cmd file. But it doesn't change the password.

It's a simple line "Net user Administrator [password]" without quotes of course.

If anyone can offer any other suggestions, it would be appreciated.

Monday, July 1, 2013 4:56 PM

Answers

• In an organization that large, you are definitely managed by GPO settings.  DoD or Gov't I assume.  Check to see if your local administrator account renamed via GPO.  If so that explains your error message.  Once you find what your new local admin account is named, change your batch file accordingly. 

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 12:28 AM

All replies

• Renaming "administrator" and while at it "guest" to something else is quite common.  Try net localgroup to get the name of the local administrators group, e.g., administratoren on a German windows.  Then net localgroup administratoren lists the local admin account names including the built-in admin.  

Maybe psGetSid and psPasswd in the SysInternals suite can help you create a script for this task, e.g., PsGetSid \\* gives you the SIDs for all computers, and adding -500 is the SID for their built-in admin account, no matter, what the account name is.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 8:36 PM
  • In an organization that large, you are definitely managed by GPO settings.  DoD or Gov't I assume.  Check to see if your local administrator account renamed via GPO.  If so that explains your error message.  Once you find what your new local admin account is named, change your batch file accordingly. 

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 12:28 AM
  • If you are able to log in your computer with built-in administrator account or other available admin account, Windows password reset can be very simple for you. After logging on computer, just click My Computer icon to select Manage to enter Computer Management screen, and then click Local Users and Groups folder and Users folder. All Windows accounts will be displayed for you. Right-click the account you want to edit and select Reset Password to change your Windows 7 password.

But if the net user administrator doesn't work, you can also use the password recovery tools such as SmartKey Windows Password Recovery.

• Edited by BaggieSmith Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:56 AM no no
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:55 AM