none
Online Upgrade from Windows 7 Home (32bit) to Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit) using Windows Anytime Upgrade

Question

• I was running Vista (32 bit) and purchased the Family Pack for Windows 7 Home Premium.  The upgrade consist of two disks, a 32 bit and a 64 bit version.  Since I had Vista 32 bit, I installed the upgrade with 32 bit.  Now I want to upgrade my Win7 Home Premium 32 bit to Ultimate 64 bit.  Can this be done from my present installation (I know I would have to clean install....) or would I have to buy the full version for 64 bit which is prohibitive at present?

I talked to a MS sales representative on their Store chat and he said I would have to back Win7 off to Vista and install the 64 bit Win 7 Home Premium, then update to Ultimate 64 bit.  Just looking for a second opinion before I go through purchasing the upgrade plus all the work of cleaning the hard drive, reformatting and reinstalling the OS again. 

Friday, March 18, 2011 5:52 PM

Answers

• To change from 32-bit to 64-bit requires a clean install.  You will have to install your 64-bit Home Premium and then you can do an Anytime Upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate.

You can use Windows Easy Trqansfer to export you files and dat drom 32-bit and then import it into 64-bit.  All programs will have to re installed after installing 64-bit.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by ray1al44 Saturday, March 19, 2011 1:33 AM
    Friday, March 18, 2011 6:33 PM

All replies