Sysprep doesn't work in W7? RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone got sysprep to actually work on a W7 machine? I've tried a dozen times now, fresh install from DVD, join to domain and then a couple of applications installed before I run sysprep with the generalize option. I want to put this image onto a WDS server.

But no luck - every time sysprep encounters a fatal error and that installation is screwed. The setupact.log contains an error at the end:
    WindowsSideShow: Failed to get task folder (0x80070003)

Whats that got to do with sysprep anyway?

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:13 PM

Answers

• You should disjoin the machine from the domain and ran sysprep. Running sysprep on a machine that is joined to the domain is not recommended. If the computer is joined to a domain, Sysprep attempts to remove it from the domain but if the process is not successful, sysprep will fail.

After reviewing the error log, I noticed that the error occurred with AuxiliaryDisplayClassInstaller.dll,WindowsSideShow_Sysprep_Generalize, I would like to suggest you deleting the relevant entry in registry and sysprep again to see if it works. Please take the following steps:

1)    Click Start and type: regedit in the Search box.

2)    Navigate to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Sysprep\Generalize

3)    Find the following entry and delete it: 

x86: {fdd988f1-76cb-0817-6a6f-2fe2739a2b89}

x64: {b636fa27-124f-6436-6a6f-2fe2739a2b89}

Cause: it is highly recommended to backup your registry before modifying it. Any incorrect modification can cause unrecoverable damage.

4)    Sysprep again and see how it works.

Best Regards

Dale

• Proposed as answer by Dale Qiao Wednesday, March 24, 2010 3:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:30 AM
    Friday, March 19, 2010 3:11 AM
  • I tried the above but still got the same result.

In the end I started from scratch again, installed the basic apps but NEVER joined the domain.

Sysprep then worked fine, and I now have an image for WDS!

Thanks for the suggestions and advice - I got there in the end!

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Thursday, April 1, 2010 3:28 AM
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 6:56 PM

All replies

• Yes, I use sysprep every time that I create an image.

The only time I have problem with sysprep is when rearm count is exhausted. You can check the number of remaining rearms by using the command below.
    slmgr -dlv

I also try to avoid complex installations. For example you don't sysprep a domain controller. It is also usual to sysprep workgroup computers, not domain members.

Also, I don't install antivirus on a computer I intend to image. Generally, I try to avoid installing too many applications. For deployment of applications we use Group Policy and System Center Configuration Manager.

Before doing sysprep, I do a fresh reboot and don't start any programs.

I usualy test deployment scenarios using virtual machines.
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 3:10 PM
  • Very similar to what I have been doing - every time the image is a fresh install so not an issue with the rearm count I guess?

This is a very simple installation, only about 5 simple packages installed, no AV, its a basic Windows 7 Pro workstation.
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 3:28 PM
  • Hi Lake,

Do you happen to use an OEM DVD? Sometimes the OEM manufacturer has probably already syspreped the image at least once, if you are trying to modify the OEM image, the sysprep will count towards one of the 3 syspreps allowed. BTW, if you are using the OEM image, you should be using volume license media.

In Windows Vista, there used to be a similar case, you can visit the following KB for reference:

An error message occurs when you run "Sysprep /generalize" in Windows Vista: "A fatal error occurred while trying to Sysprep the machine"

Best Regards
    Dale
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 6:33 AM
  • I'm using a volume license DVD - each time is a complete fresh install. I tried again today and got the same error.

It always seems to be sticking on the WindowsSideBar error - but the sidebar is working fine, and I can switch gadgets on and off (althought at the time of sysprep I have no gadgets running)

I've tried running sysprep with W7 activated and not activated, domain joined and not domain joined - all generate the same error!

The Vista reference above doesn't really apply as this is a fresh install for each attempt.  I'm stuck at this point now which means W7 deployment cannot go ahead.

The exact error log is:
    2010-03-18 09:14:13, Error                 SYSPRP WindowsSideShow: Failed to get task folder (0x80070003)
    2010-03-18 09:14:13, Error      [0x0f0082] SYSPRP LaunchDll:Failure occurred while executing 'C:\Windows\System32\AuxiliaryDisplayClassInstaller.dll,WindowsSideShow_Sysprep_Generalize', returned error code 31
    2010-03-18 09:14:13, Error      [0x0f0070] SYSPRP RunExternalDlls:An error occurred while running registry sysprep DLLs, halting sysprep execution. dwRet = 31
    2010-03-18 09:14:13, Error      [0x0f00a8] SYSPRP WinMain:Hit failure while processing sysprep generalize internal providers; hr = 0x8007001f
    2010-03-18 09:19:28, Info       [0x0f004c] SYSPRP WaitThread:Exiting spawned waiting thread
    2010-03-18 09:19:28, Info       [0x0f0052] SYSPRP Shutting down SysPrep log
    2010-03-18 09:19:28, Info       [0x0f004d] SYSPRP The time is now 2010-03-18 09:19:28

Thursday, March 18, 2010 9:35 AM
  • You should disjoin the machine from the domain and ran sysprep. Running sysprep on a machine that is joined to the domain is not recommended. If the computer is joined to a domain, Sysprep attempts to remove it from the domain but if the process is not successful, sysprep will fail.

After reviewing the error log, I noticed that the error occurred with AuxiliaryDisplayClassInstaller.dll,WindowsSideShow_Sysprep_Generalize, I would like to suggest you deleting the relevant entry in registry and sysprep again to see if it works. Please take the following steps:

1)    Click Start and type: regedit in the Search box.

2)    Navigate to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Sysprep\Generalize

3)    Find the following entry and delete it: 

x86: {fdd988f1-76cb-0817-6a6f-2fe2739a2b89}

x64: {b636fa27-124f-6436-6a6f-2fe2739a2b89}

Cause: it is highly recommended to backup your registry before modifying it. Any incorrect modification can cause unrecoverable damage.

4)    Sysprep again and see how it works.

Best Regards

Dale

• Proposed as answer by Dale Qiao Wednesday, March 24, 2010 3:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:30 AM
    Friday, March 19, 2010 3:11 AM
  • I tried the above but still got the same result.

In the end I started from scratch again, installed the basic apps but NEVER joined the domain.

Sysprep then worked fine, and I now have an image for WDS!

Thanks for the suggestions and advice - I got there in the end!

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Thursday, April 1, 2010 3:28 AM
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 6:56 PM
  • This is insane.  So we cannot apply group policy changes and then perform the imaging process?   I think this is bass ackwards.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:35 PM
  • "MIBPreacher" wrote in message news:14e94fa6-04fe-4f8d-bb42-7255ca60b48e...
    This is insane.  So we cannot apply group policy changes and then perform the imaging process?   I think this is bass ackwards.

The whole point of Group Policies is that they are applied at boot, before the user gains access to the system - and they are retrieved from the Domain Server at that point.
    What you appear to want is not a GP, but a Local policy.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:06 PM
  • I know it's an old topic, but I've encountered the same issue and was able to resolve it and want to share my finding. It was on a Windows 2008 R2 SP1 server which had been configured as a Citrix XenApp 6.5 server. Therefore the Desktop Experience feature has been installed. 

While cloning the server using VMware and applying a customization (which uses sysprep). The exact same message appeared in the logs and customization doesn't complete.

The problem was that several service were disabled ('tuning'). After re-enabling the following services the cloning process was succesful: UxSMS (Desktop Window Manager Session Manager), WinDefend (Windows Defender), Schedule (Task Scheduler).

• Proposed as answer by gtaIon Friday, March 1, 2013 4:12 PM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 6:35 PM
  • Thank you for this info.  I have had to us it on several ocassions when syspreping to create a Ghost image from an image that was sent down to us from the head office.
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 11:25 PM
  • I know it's an old topic, but I've encountered the same issue and was able to resolve it and want to share my finding. It was on a Windows 2008 R2 SP1 server which had been configured as a Citrix XenApp 6.5 server. Therefore the Desktop Experience feature has been installed. 

While cloning the server using VMware and applying a customization (which uses sysprep). The exact same message appeared in the logs and customization doesn't complete.

The problem was that several service were disabled ('tuning'). After re-enabling the following services the cloning process was succesful: UxSMS (Desktop Window Manager Session Manager), WinDefend (Windows Defender), Schedule (Task Scheduler).

I found that the "Task Scheduler" service was not running and was getting an "Access Denied 5" message when trying to start the service.  I ended up setting the start up type to auto in the registry "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Schedule" and set the "Start" value to "2".  Did a reboot, the service was started and sysprep worked.

The biggest hint about the task scheduler being the problem was in the C:\windows\system32\sysprep\panther\setuperr.log.  The line that says the following tells you that it's trying to setup a task.  Thank you very much Jelmer for your answer, I was getting very tired of everybody telling me it was a rearm problem.

2010-03-18 09:14:13, Error                 SYSPRP WindowsSideShow: Failed to get task folder (0x80070003)

Friday, March 1, 2013 4:18 PM
  • Had the same problem and pulled my hair out for days going up blind alleys, reading dozens of similar articles and keep hitting rearm suggestions.

It was exactly as Jelmer & gtalon said, it was down to the Task Scheduler service being disabled for me. As soon as I set that to automatic & started the service, sysprep went straight through! Thanks guys!

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 6:37 AM
  • Another potential solution. Not sure why this error even came up in the first place for us, but it has now affected two images I have made. Here's how I fixed it this time around:

1. Delete the registry key mentioned by Dale.
    2. Go to C:\Windows\System32 and delete all DLLs that start with AuxiliaryDisplay. There are about 5.
    3. Delete all registry keys that contain AuxuliaryDisplay. The majority are in HKCR\CLSID and HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID. There will be about 40 or so to delete.
    4. To delete the keys, right click each one, select Permissions, click Advanced, Owner, select Administrators as the owner, check "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects", click ok. Click Administrators again, check Full Control, click OK. Now you can delete the key.
    5. Some keys will not allow you to delete them, even after these steps. That's ok. I then ran CCleaner's registry cleaner tool, which detected them and deleted them for me.
    6. Make sure you can rearm, then run Sysprep. Should work fine.

Basically, you're completely deleting the existence of SideShow.

(Disclaimer: make sure you know what you're doing, back up the registry beforehand, your results may vary, etc)

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 9:14 PM