none
Explorer.exe Crashing After Any Windows Updates RRS feed

• Question

• I've been wrestling this issue for a couple days now and I can't seem to find the solution.

We have a heavily-restricted, generic domain user account that automatically logs in to several computers in our environment. The restrictions, including an Applocker whitelist, are all set through GPO. Whenever we install Windows updates, the next time that user logs in, explorer.exe crashes and will not run. The only way I can get it working again is to disable the GPO, login the user, and then re-enable the GPO. The account will continue working until the next round of Windows updates. The PCs in question are running Windows 10 LTSB 2016 (1607). 

Event viewer logs the explorer.exe crash as follows:

Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 10.0.14393.2791, time stamp: 0x5c5a431c
    Faulting module name: windows.storage.dll, version: 10.0.14393.2848, time stamp: 0x5c7f6600
    Exception code: 0xc00000fd
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000a7778
    Faulting process id: 0x1010
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d4da9733f54544
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\windows.storage.dll
    Report Id: e4a9eebf-eb36-4dec-a03f-c64b1988c95f
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 

And crash dumps show the following exception for explorer.exe:

This dump file has an exception of interest stored in it.
    The stored exception information can be accessed via .ecxr.
    (10e4.10e8): Stack overflow - code c00000fd (first/second chance not available)
    windows_storage!CFSFolder::_GetLongItemPath+0x38:
    00007ff9`6b6d7778 4c894d88        mov     qword ptr [rbp-78h],r9 ss:00000000`00603d08=0000000000000000
    The crash information makes me think it's something with a network share causing the problem but I don't believe there are any being mapped on that account. I'm hoping someone out there can make sense of these errors to point me in the right direction for getting this figured out.
    Thursday, March 14, 2019 8:18 PM

All replies

• It is not much but this might help

https://www.theexperienceblog.com/2017/02/27/how-to-solve-a-crashing-file-explorer-explorer-exe-in-windows-10/

Thomas Faherty

Thursday, March 14, 2019 10:35 PM
  • If the issue happened only after the update, I suggest running the Windows Update Troubleshooter and see how it goes.

However, according to your description, I suspect that your GPOs configurations may lead to current situation, please find a machine, leave domain and apply updates, check if explorer still crash after login.

I note your system build is 14393, for this version of Windows 10, try to uninstall the KB4013429

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 15, 2019 3:12 AM
  • Hello,

Try resetting File Explorer (explorer.exe) process:

1. Press Windows Key + R and type SYSDM.CPL in Run. Click OK or press Enter key.

2. In System Properties window, switch to Advanced tab, click Settings under Performance.

3. Next, in Performance Options, under Processor scheduling, make sure that Adjust for best performance of: is set to Programs.

4. Then in the same window, under Virtual memory, click Settings button.

5. On Virtual Memory page, make sure Automatically manage paging file sizes for all drives option is checked. Click OK, then Apply, OK on rest of windows.

6. Reboot the machine and see if issue is resolved now.

Let us know if this helps!

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Friday, March 15, 2019 6:28 AM
  • WU troubleshooter doesn't find any problems. I know if I remove it from the domain and update it will come back up fine, but I can't do that to each machine every time I install updates.

Changing the performance settings and paging files settings didn't resolve the issue either.

Booting in safe mode, however, did resolve the issue so it must be a driver problem then? I'll try updating any drivers related to storage first and see if that fixes things.
    Friday, March 15, 2019 8:16 PM
  • Either a driver or a conflicting application. In safe mode only the Microsoft basic applications launch on startup where in normal lots of others along with even more services start. So if not drives go into task manager start up and stop all applications from starting then reboot after reboot narrow it down till you find the problem application. 

Thomas Faherty

Friday, March 15, 2019 8:23 PM
  • I found a resolution, or more of a work-around. I'm not sure what the exact root cause is. I did more digging into what part of the explorer process was failing and it seems to be "Active Setup" portion of explorer's boot process. There's a registry key there having to do with Windows Update "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4340}" that when I delete it, suddenly explorer boots up properly.

I'm not able to post images, so I've typed out the pertinent components of the reg key:

(Default)  REG_SZ  Windows Desktop Update

ComponentID  REG_SZ  IE4_SHELLID

LocalizedNAME  REG_EXPAND_SZ  @%systemroot%\system32\shel32.dll, -32969

ShellComponent  REG_SZ shell32.dll

For now I've created a script that deletes that key on boot. I don't know what that key is actually doing, or if there are any adverse effects to that portion of Active Setup not running.

Tuesday, March 19, 2019 8:32 PM
  • Explorer/application crash due to Windows Storage dllmain (Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\windows.storage.dll) seems to be a known issue, now Microsoft is working on it, let’s wait for update.

You could also contact CSS Commercial support for deep investigation. Thanks for understanding.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 21, 2019 2:07 AM