none
First Win10 PC on domain - will not accept passwords RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We have a 2008 level domain with one 2008 DC and one 2012 R2 DC. The domain has been in use for many years. 

This week I set up the first Windows 10 PC on the domain (all others are Win7). Joined to the domain without problems, installed applications etc. No problems.

When the PC was ready I took it to the staff member's desk, set it up and everything was great. But... when the member of staff tried to change their password Windows 10 refused to accept the new password stating it did not meet the complexity requirements for the domain. We both tried various passwords including a couple of generic 'first time' passwords I use when setting up new user accounts.

In the end I used ADUC - got the member of staff to type the same password they were trying to input and the DC accepted it.

Can anyone tell me why the Windows 10 PC would not accept a password? Complexity requirements are 8 chars min, upper and lower case and at least one number.

Thanks!

Friday, December 1, 2017 3:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Mark,

Firstly, you need to confirm the password meet the complexity requirements and password length limitation.

Here I suspect the most probably caused by the minimum password age. How many days did you set?

If it set as greater than 0(for example 1 day), which means after you reset the password in the DC or change password with any method, you have to wait for another 24hr and then you can proceed to change the password again. Password reset in dsa.msc would not be affected by this policy.

You can try to change it as 0 days, then try again.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 4, 2017 2:56 AM
  • Hi Mark,

Was your issue resolved?

If yes, please mark the helpful reply as answer in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 9:15 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If yes, please mark the helpful reply as answer in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly and we will archive this thread temporarily.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Friday, December 8, 2017 9:56 AM