none
Your PC has ran into a problem and needs to restart... RRS feed

• Question

• I just finished getting this PC all setup and upgraded to windows8. After upgrading to windows 8 I keep getting "Your PC has ran into a problem and needs to restart" when waking it. It doesn't always happen but enough that I would rather fix the problem then to let it continue.

Anyone think they could help me figure out what my problem is?  

I would greatly appreciate it...

PC Specs
    AMD FX 8350 eight core processor 4.01 GHz
    16 GB Ram
    Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti 
    x3 HP 2311xi 23" Monitors in Nvidia Surround mode

Dump Files Included Below:

http://www.2shared.com/file/AAj7sube/Dump_Files.html

• Edited by AmenCroW Wednesday, February 6, 2013 12:52 AM updated with system specs
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 11:30 PM

Answers

• Bug Check 0x7F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

0x00000008, or Double Fault, indicates that an exception occurs during a call to the handler for a prior exception. Typically, the two exceptions are handled serially. However, there are several exceptions that cannot be handled serially, and in this situation the processor signals a double fault. There are two common causes of a double fault:

* A kernel stack overflow. This overflow occurs when a guard page is hit, and the kernel tries to push a trap frame. Because there is no stack left, a stack overflow results, causing the double fault.
        * A hardware problem.

the dumps show that your GPU driver is the cause:

nt!KeBugCheckEx
    nt!KiBugCheckDispatch
    nt!KiDoubleFaultAbort
    nvlddmkm
    0x0
    nvlddmkm

Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys
        Image name: nvlddmkm.sys
        Timestamp:        Sat Dec 29 07:47:52 2012

Try a BIOS Update to Version BIOS 1503 (you use 0803) and try the latest Beta driver:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-313.96-beta-driver.html

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 5:44 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• what are your computer specs? Because you could be running into a hardware issue that causes windows 8 to have a fatal error.
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 12:07 AM
  • Bug Check 0x7F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

0x00000008, or Double Fault, indicates that an exception occurs during a call to the handler for a prior exception. Typically, the two exceptions are handled serially. However, there are several exceptions that cannot be handled serially, and in this situation the processor signals a double fault. There are two common causes of a double fault:

* A kernel stack overflow. This overflow occurs when a guard page is hit, and the kernel tries to push a trap frame. Because there is no stack left, a stack overflow results, causing the double fault.
        * A hardware problem.

the dumps show that your GPU driver is the cause:

nt!KeBugCheckEx
    nt!KiBugCheckDispatch
    nt!KiDoubleFaultAbort
    nvlddmkm
    0x0
    nvlddmkm

Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys
        Image name: nvlddmkm.sys
        Timestamp:        Sat Dec 29 07:47:52 2012

Try a BIOS Update to Version BIOS 1503 (you use 0803) and try the latest Beta driver:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-313.96-beta-driver.html

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 5:44 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the help. I have updated to both the beta gpu driver and the bios driver..will see if it happens again or not. Will say with just the bios update it seriously decreased the time it takes for my pc to load into windows. Can go from power off to windows 8 in about 4 secs.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 12:22 PM
  • Will say with just the bios update it seriously decreased the time it takes for my pc to load into windows. Can go from power off to windows 8 in about 4 secs.

Nice to hear this :)

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 7:55 PM
    Answerer