none
Windows Boot Manager

Question

• Hi all

I put a HDD into my computer to beta test Vista. I have now removed the HDD because I have now finished testing vista. The problem is that the boot manager still thinks that I have vista and still gives me the option to boot into vista. How can i remove the Windows boot manager so when the computer is switched on it goes straight into XP without having to go into windows boot manager. I have XP on C, and  had vista on G . Thanks

Saturday, February 03, 2007 7:24 PM

Answers

• Hi, it will not affect your upgrade.

By the way, the BCDEDIT can be run within Vista only. It cannot run within XP.

Monday, February 05, 2007 4:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Robin,

This issue was caused by the different boot sectors between Windows XP and Windows Vista.

Since you did not want Vista any more, I suggest change the boot sector to XP again.

You can try the following steps.

Boot into WinRE using the Windows Vista Media and open a Command Prompt. 

Type the following line, pressing ENTER after you type the line:

E:\boot\bootsect /nt52 c:

Assuming that E: is the ROM drive and C: is the system partition (the partition containing the BCD and BootMGR files)

• Proposed as answer by azzwin Thursday, August 20, 2009 9:35 PM
    Sunday, February 04, 2007 1:36 AM
  • From Windows XP:

Right click on My Computer icon > Properties >  Advanced > Startup and Recovery > System Startup > Check: Time to display list of Operating Systems and Click Ok.

This will enable you to show Windows XP OS choice menu.

If you don't like to show any boot menus, from same window option to enable you directly start Windows XP without OS choice menu.

Good luck

Sunday, February 04, 2007 12:12 PM
  • Thanks Ryan, that done the job. Now when i bootup the computer it goes straight into XP without showing Windows Boot Manager.
    Sunday, February 04, 2007 12:55 PM
  • Hi, first, please make sure what boot manager are you using. If It's XP one, modify the boot.ini to remove the Vista entry.

If it's VIsta boot manager, you need to use BCD command to remove the Vista entry and set XP to be the default one.

You can also download a GUI tool called Vista Boot PRO to help you to modify the setting.

Sunday, February 04, 2007 2:09 PM
  • Hi Richard

Im getting this in my Boot.ini. Any ideas which of this i have to edit.

I have tried looking for the BCDEDIT.EXE  in XP but could not find it. Any ideas on what to edit. I have since removed the HDD containing Vista RC1 5600 build.

Thanks

;
    ;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
    ;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
    ;
    [boot loader]
    timeout=3
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /FASTDETECT

Monday, February 05, 2007 12:06 PM
  • According to your configuration, i think your system is using Vista boot manager.

BCDEDIT is not avaliable in XP, it's only avaliable in Vista.

So, I would suggest you to download the Vista Boot Pro to solve the problem.

Monday, February 05, 2007 1:59 PM
  • Hi Richard

I tried that. When I start up the program I get a message saying:

VistaBootPro has detected that either Microsoft Windows Vista is not currently installed, or you may have an irregular drive configuration. In order to use all the features of this application, Windows Vista must be installed.

Monday, February 05, 2007 2:43 PM
  • Hi, you have removed the Vista HD?

If so, you are required to put it back and let the boot manager to detect it.

Monday, February 05, 2007 3:15 PM
  • Hi Richard

Tried that, but the VistaBootPro says I have only one operating system in and the boot.ini still remains the same.

However will that stop me from upgrading later on to Vista, if not ill leave it the way it is. Thanks

P.S How do you use that BCDEDIT>EXE. I have tried that from command prompt within XP and from the run command with no joy. 

Monday, February 05, 2007 4:19 PM
  • Hi, it will not affect your upgrade.

By the way, the BCDEDIT can be run within Vista only. It cannot run within XP.

Monday, February 05, 2007 4:26 PM
  • Try this, To recover your XP bootloader, Boot with your XP cd , goto recovery console

Then 'fixmbr' and 'fixboot' , this will restore your XP bootloader.

Thursday, February 08, 2007 4:10 AM
  • yup! it will re-write the Master Boot Record of the hard drive and re-write the XP boot loader.
    Remember to check the local administrator password as it was required to enter the recovery console.

Thursday, February 08, 2007 2:34 PM
  • Problem with that, the version of XP I have is an OEM version. When I boot of it, all it wants to do is to format my drive first. Also if I put the cd in after I boot up it says that the version of XP im using is higher. IE the version on the oem is the first one, where I have since put service pack one on. But thanks anyway, no harm done.
    Thursday, February 08, 2007 7:47 PM
  • dear Robin, are you still getting the Boot menu? As in one of the posts you said that you could remove Vista bootlaoder using Vista DVD as posted by Ryan.I had missed that.

OK then continuing just for discussion, you can also enter into XP Recovery console, using Windows XP Setup boot disks. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994  as your XP OEM CD ver doesn't allow you to.  Ofcourse, this is possible if you have floopy drive.

Also as Richard said, you can connect your Vista HD again, and try to remove Vista bootloader using VistaBootPro.  I had used similar tool called EasyBCD,  which has an option to manage bootloader, you have to select uninstall Vista bootloader and next, write MBR and reboot. So you'll again be booting using XP.

Anyway in such cases as yours, its better to use Vista DVD or to use EasyBCD when VIsta HD is still there, or if its not XP OEM ver. use XP recovery console.

Friday, February 09, 2007 3:24 AM
  • The boot manager has gone as per Ryan instructions, it is just the boot.ini as you can see .But ill put up with that. thanks

;
    ;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
    ;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
    ;
    [boot loader]
    timeout=3
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /FASTDETECT

Tried that easybcd,same as vistabootpro.

Friday, February 09, 2007 2:18 PM
  • I think his XP OEM boot CD is not same as a normal XP installation CD. That's why he can't find a option to enter the Recovery console. I think Robin should find a normal XP setup CD or re-plug the Vista HD and use Vista boot manager to solve the problem.
    Saturday, February 10, 2007 7:44 AM
  • Richard, I think so, Thanks
    Saturday, February 10, 2007 2:59 PM
  •  

ryan u rocks i hd follow ll ur steps nd my boot is back thx dude
    Friday, June 27, 2008 7:36 PM