none
unable to change backup settings in windows backup RRS feed

• Question

• I am using carbonite to backup files; I wanted to change settings on the backup to only do system files/programs.  I can't see the settings due to this error:
    The backup application could not start due to an internal error: The specified service does not exist as an installed service (0x80070424). 
    Steps I have taken thus far:
    1. verified that windows backup service is running. cycled service and changed to automatic from manual
    2. ran sfc/scannow - no issues found
    3. attempted to run a backup manually and I cancelled it when it said it got 25% thru, since I have no idea what would be in said backup without seeing the settings.

Note that it did work when I initially set up the backup two weeks ago after purchase, I just want to see the settings, and this seems like a bigger problem.

Not sure what to try next.  I saw some posts in the Vista forum but to get it working, most of those people had to go back and do a full install.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 3:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you cannot change settings in Windows Backup and Restore center, you can try the following steps:

1. Click the "Start" button, type "regedit" (without quotation marks) in the "Search" bar, right click on the "regedit.exe" found in the list and then click "Run as administrator".
    2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\wbengine

3. Right click the wbengine entry on the left pane, choose "Export", select "Desktop" in the "Save in" box and type "backup" (without quotation marks) in "File Name". Click "Save".

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named "backup.reg". We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the "backup.reg" file.

4. Right click to delete the wbengine key on the left pane.
    5. Then download this file, rename it to wbengine.reg and double click on it to import to Registry.
    6. Restart the computer, go to Backup and Restore center and check if backup works.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Proposed as answer by nitinagarwal1988 Wednesday, December 2, 2009 10:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, December 4, 2009 9:22 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 8:06 AM

All replies

• I have to ask the obvious question:  Is the 3rd party backup program (Carbonite) specifically Windows 7 compatible?

Assuming the answer is yes, did the install go through without error?

I'm led to wonder why you're asking this question here, on the Windows forum, when the problem is clearly with a 3rd party program (Carbonite is not Windows Backup)...  Have you tried contacting them?

And finally, what does Carbonite do for you that Windows Backup doesn't?  Have you tried using Windows Backup and Restore (e.g., with, say, an external USB drive)?  I'm curious what led you to believe you needed to buy a 3rd party solution for backup.

-Noel

Monday, November 30, 2009 4:43 PM
  • Hi,

If you cannot change settings in Windows Backup and Restore center, you can try the following steps:

1. Click the "Start" button, type "regedit" (without quotation marks) in the "Search" bar, right click on the "regedit.exe" found in the list and then click "Run as administrator".
    2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\wbengine

3. Right click the wbengine entry on the left pane, choose "Export", select "Desktop" in the "Save in" box and type "backup" (without quotation marks) in "File Name". Click "Save".

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named "backup.reg". We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the "backup.reg" file.

4. Right click to delete the wbengine key on the left pane.
    5. Then download this file, rename it to wbengine.reg and double click on it to import to Registry.
    6. Restart the computer, go to Backup and Restore center and check if backup works.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Proposed as answer by nitinagarwal1988 Wednesday, December 2, 2009 10:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, December 4, 2009 9:22 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 8:06 AM
  • Hi,
    Where is the file to replace the wbengine reg entry.

Thanks for your help
    Config: Acer: Aspire X3200, AMD Phenom 9550 ( 32-bit Quad core ), 4 Gb RAM, MB: Acer WMCP78M, Chipset: Nvidia; GeForce 9400 (GF8200 + GF 9200) MCP78PV
    Monday, February 1, 2010 9:09 PM
  • Please post a link to this file or the contents.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 11:24 PM
  • Sorry, here is the link.
    Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:52 AM
  • I have tried this and it made no difference.  My problem is that I swapped out the hard drive that I was using as the target of the backup.  Even though I gave the new drive the same drive letter as the old drive it is saying that the location is disconnected.   I cannot click the "Change Settings" link.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:27 PM