none
XP Home(2003) SP3 download problems

Question

• As an auto update, SP3 tried to download onto my computer and I got "error messaged" that it "could not copy beethov9.wma".  How do I correct/get past this problem? Now that I cancelled the download and the files were uninstalled, as warned, things don't run correctly. Please, HELP!

Sunday, April 13, 2008 10:55 PM

Answers

•  jmanc wrote:
    As an auto update, SP3 tried to download onto my computer and I got "error messaged" that it "could not copy beethov9.wma".  How do I correct/get past this problem? Now that I cancelled the download and the files were uninstalled, as warned, things don't run correctly. Please, HELP!

jmanc,

There are a few things I need you to check.

Can you check if there is a "sample music" folder in this directory path (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\documents\my music\)?

Do you have any access rights to this said folder? Is there a "beethoven's symphony no. 9 (scherzo).wma" file inside this said folder? How about its access rights?

Regards,

Thomas

Monday, April 14, 2008 3:42 AM
  • Evening Jmanc

Did you attempt to install this from a adminstrator account? Not using the adminstrator full accound can cause this as Thomas is pointing out, rights access could be a problem if you look in the windowsupdate file in the %windir%\system\windowsupdate file. It will say something about not able to access the registry.

Try pressing F8 during boot, and log into the Adminstrator account, with pass word account instead. While installing Sp3 refresh.

As an alternative you can apply the subacl program mentioned in other posts and run the reset.cmd. This will give your acount full permissions to install the Sp3 refresh.

Remember to post back your result, and hopefully this fixes your problem

*subacl program mentioned here, and the commands to save as reset.cmd

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3069610&SiteID=17

Later Jman

Keith

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:04 AM

All replies

•  jmanc wrote:
    As an auto update, SP3 tried to download onto my computer and I got "error messaged" that it "could not copy beethov9.wma".  How do I correct/get past this problem? Now that I cancelled the download and the files were uninstalled, as warned, things don't run correctly. Please, HELP!

jmanc,

There are a few things I need you to check.

Can you check if there is a "sample music" folder in this directory path (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\documents\my music\)?

Do you have any access rights to this said folder? Is there a "beethoven's symphony no. 9 (scherzo).wma" file inside this said folder? How about its access rights?

Regards,

Thomas

Monday, April 14, 2008 3:42 AM
  • Evening Jmanc

Did you attempt to install this from a adminstrator account? Not using the adminstrator full accound can cause this as Thomas is pointing out, rights access could be a problem if you look in the windowsupdate file in the %windir%\system\windowsupdate file. It will say something about not able to access the registry.

Try pressing F8 during boot, and log into the Adminstrator account, with pass word account instead. While installing Sp3 refresh.

As an alternative you can apply the subacl program mentioned in other posts and run the reset.cmd. This will give your acount full permissions to install the Sp3 refresh.

Remember to post back your result, and hopefully this fixes your problem

*subacl program mentioned here, and the commands to save as reset.cmd

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3069610&SiteID=17

Later Jman

Keith

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:04 AM
  • What's all this edit the registry rubbish ?
    I'm a  computer user .   If I can't just install the service pack  without  delving into the registry then you lot ought to be ashamed of yourselves.   You're certain to become objects of ridicule over  the coming days  for this   piece  of junk
    Thursday, May 08, 2008 9:34 AM
  • I ran all your 'solutions' and of course, the problem is not solved.

Thank you Microsoft for insisting that Beethoven's MOTHER ********** NUMBER 9 NEEDS TO BE INSTALLED ON MY MOTHER ********** COMPUTER before Service MOTHER ********** Pack 3 can be sucessfully installed.

Your programmers are morons.  Go to hell, the lot of you.

Friday, May 09, 2008 7:12 AM
  • I did the F8 and Administrator install and it still fails.

Does Microsoft have an answer to this, or do we just keep guessing ??

Friday, May 09, 2008 9:03 PM
  • No need to guess on this one. I figured it out and wrote the following two knowledge base articles myself:

KB1SP3:
    Symptom: You are unable to install Service Pack 3 for Microsoft Windows XP.
    Solution: Purchase and install a copy of Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium or Ultimate.

KB2SP3:
    Symptom: Your PC runs slowly after upgrading from Microsoft Windows XP to Microsoft Windows Vista.
    Solution: Purchase a faster PC with Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium or Ultimate  pre-installed.

Friday, May 09, 2008 11:18 PM

• I ran into this with XP Pro. I was installing SP3 as administrator but not the right one. There was an old administrator account I hadn't used in years and it owned the AllUsers directory where Windows was trying to copy the sample music. Changing the ownership of that folder to the account I was logged in as cleared it up. Changing ownership in XP Pro wasn't hard to figure out but I've never used XP Home.
    Monday, May 12, 2008 9:25 PM
  • I am the administrator.
    I cannot install SP3 update.
    Do you have any suggestion?
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:47 PM
  • Well, no need to say that if I am being impelled to acquire Vista for not being able to install SP3 I do prefer to install Linux and abandon forever to Microsoft.
    I wait for a reply to solve my problem.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 6:06 PM
  •  alfa_alfa wrote:
    I am the administrator.  I cannot install SP3 update.

To advise on this, much better information from you is required on the nature of the problem.  What exactly do you mean by "I cannot install SP3 update"?  What happens when you try?

Thursday, July 31, 2008 11:44 AM
  • Found the solution for this ridiculus problem by googling around:

"When the "beethov9.wma error" comes up (about 1 1/4 hrs. into the update),
    open Windows Explorer and go to C:\Documents and Settings\All
    Users\Documents, then right-click on Documents and bring up Properties, then
    the Sharing tab. Check the box "Allow Network Users to Change My Files".
    You don't have to be logged in as admin. Retry the copy. That's it - I
    don't know why one of you techie experts couldn't have said it so simply."

/KrisT2

• Proposed as answer by calgayguy Saturday, December 04, 2010 10:54 PM
    Thursday, August 07, 2008 5:59 PM
  • you installed sp3 with active antivir solution?
    Read the ********** manual how to install sp3, and don't blame to MS for the mistake you made!
    the error sit in front of your system!
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 12:54 AM
  • Thank you so very much KrisT2. I never had this problem with my old computer. My Dad passed away and I wanted to set up his computer for my son...When I attempted to download the updates I got that beethov9 problem. I want to thank you for being there with an answer unstead of being one of those piss ant whinny types that just want to post S*#T instead opf actually helping someone. I swear I must change computers more than most people change their socks :) That being said...I will never ever be one of those IT types that I need so much.

Thank you for an answer and not another post of BS....

Saturday, February 28, 2009 8:54 PM
  • N.B.

just read through this forum, on xp sp3 installing issues.

Yes its frustrating when the shite don't work. If you're not tech minded, wait for the update .

Don't fill the forum with you're ranting an raving. Ring someone who cares, and will listen.

This is a forum to workout solutions to these problems, not listen to ur whinnying.

My grandparents pc, running xp, won't install sp3.
    msg "sp3 failed to install"
    No reason given.  I had great difficulties installing defender, had to install "installer v3.1" first, which also had issues. These I got going, sp3, not so much.

its an older pc (cpu 2.6 ghz, ram 500mb, virtual ram i increased to 2g, 37g harddrive, ~30%free)

They brought the pc to my attention not because of sp3, but because they where getting "application errors"
    specifically all program process files ie lsass.exe.  with a "reference memory" error message.

This has happened only recently, ~5 days ago, and when researching this only two others have so far got this issue. They suggested registry fixer, most off which
     a) wanted money,
     b) didn't do anything -no i didnt buy any of them. found only one that worked for free.  other forums recommended "ccleaner", again nothing.

I cleaned their pc up, using avg, spybot, avg spyware, avg rootkit, and finnally windows defender, and another windows malicous removal program, re-installed windows and sp2, all to no avail.

I gave up today, they wanted to go to bed, and will reattack the problems tmrw, but wondered if the "application " error msgs', had to do with sp3 install failure.
     I will try some of the install advice givin here, I'm hopin the sp3 will fix this "application error" problem, but I think it may be a new attack on windows.

All error msgs have been sent to ms, but any advice on how to proceed, or tricks to try will be greatly appreciated. 

Ps I think u guys r doing a great job, considering the complexities of the software, and are generally pretty quick to help out.

Keep up the good work, and Thank You!!  :)

Saturday, March 21, 2009 4:35 PM
  • I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR

I WILL MAKE IT WORK

Saturday, March 21, 2009 4:39 PM
  • Thank you, KrisT2!  This was the perfect solution for my situation.
    Friday, March 25, 2011 4:18 PM
  • Thanks Kris2T -- I was having the exact same problem, and your simple instructions got it done!
    Friday, July 01, 2011 7:25 PM
  • KrisT2 --

You, my friend, are a godsend.  No need to yell and scream, you have given all of us the solution.  Works like a charm.  Thank you.  Microsoft owes you a New Year's present for making them look good.

Thank you and Happy New Year!

RR

Saturday, December 31, 2011 1:29 AM