none
NTLDS is missing, can't install Win7

Question

• I have been trying to install the new latest Windows 7 RC and keep getting "NTLDS is Missing Pres Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot" right after the post.
    I have tried everything (I think). Here is my scenario.

Hardware:
    MB - MSI K9NGM3-FIH
    CPU - there are 2 AMD 5000 (64)x2
    1024 cashe
    4GB Mem
    1TB WD HDD

Initially I had XP 32 bit installed. Downloaded Win 7 RC iso on Wed. Created DVD and tried to boot from DVD (i was going to wipe out xp). "NTLDR is missing". This was on my original Seagate 120GB. read and retried, downloaded 2 other iso, thinking i made a mistake or something.....same result. I reformatted the HDD with an old boot cd i had. Tried to install again same result. I tried every DVD i had now created.

Thursday, i went and got a new 1TB WD drive, came home, format to NTFS, tried to install...never an OS on it. Same result. I followed some steps to create the Win 7 install on a usb after an article i read..."NTLDR is missing". I evene tried by removing the partition in hopes the install would create it.

I unplugged every component I though i could get away with on the motherboard.....tried, NTLDR is mssing.

Redownloaded the ISO, made another attempt at the USB method....NTLDR is missing.

So at this point, I have 5 DVD's and 1 usb drive with this RC1 ISO on it. From everything I have read, my MB and CPU configuration should make it....I am at a loss and i have thought you MS dudes have thrown some crazy stuff at me over the years, but you got me.

Also from my reading...i don't beleive this whole NTLDR is in vista or 7. Am i creating the DVD's wrong? what am "I" missing.

Note: I created the ISO's from Nero a couple times and ISOburn.

any advise would be awesome....

Saturday, August 1, 2009 3:46 AM

Answers

• Ntldr as you said is not a component of vista or 7 ,it's xp or 2000's loader file. Somehow bios can't the detect the dvd and skips over it. As you said you reformatted the hdd but even so the hdd bootsector is still set to nt/52 which is ntldr's bootsector. This is because the dvd did'nt load and change it to nt/60 which is vista or 7's hdd bootsector and as a result it searches for ntldr and of course the hdd was reformatted with the old boot cd you had so it can't find it.

One way or another the first step is to get the bios to detect the dvd's bootsector. The only thing that could prevent it would be the bios is not set to detect it, the dvd drive is disconnected or faulty, the dvd does not contain a valid boot image, or the bios is to old to detect 7's eighrt sector boot image as opposed to xp and vista which are four sector although I am a little bit vague on the last reason. If the last reason, you need to update your bios. 

Also if the it's the last reason, on your dvd you can replace 7's boot image with vista's to make it compatible with your motherboard if you have a vista disk handy.

If you can't get bios to recognize the dvd an option is to copy the dvd to a usb drive, make it bootable and install it from a usb or pen drive, that is of course if you have another operating system loaded on some other computer to do this.

If you don't have access to another computer the next option is if bios is able to detect your old system's disk you may have stored somewhere or the one you used to wipe out your hdd, is to install it and then run windows 7 setup whilest you are in windows of that earlier version.

Saturday, August 1, 2009 5:07 PM

All replies

• I am having the exact same problem. I also so created my dvd w/nero (4) and get the same error message. One thing I know it's not the hardware, maybe it's nero?
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 4:20 AM
  • Generally receiving an "NTLDR is missing" message when attempting to boot from the DVD means that:
    [a] The DVD was not bootable, and
    [b] The SYSTEM partition on the hard drive no longer has the WinXP boot loader installed -- which is what generates the "NTLDR is missing" message.

The primary issue here is that the DVD(s) you are burning appear to be not bootable.

What are the exact steps you are using to burn the DVD(s)?
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 4:21 AM
    Answerer
  • Correction..

Lawrence...... can you help me

Actually my error message comes while installing 7. Here's the message:

windows\system32\driver\cng.sys

windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing or corrupt.

I have downloaded 3 copies.... same problem

any suggestions
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 4:42 AM
  • The key message here is the one in plaintext:

windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing or corrupt

>
    I have downloaded 3 copies.... same problem

Downloading a fresh copy may not be doing you any good if the defect is being introduced due to a bad burn of the DVD, and causing a read error attempting to load the driver from the DVD during installation.

Try burning at a slower speed, with different software, on in a different burner.
    Verify you're using the correct media for your burner (DVD-R or DVD+R),
    and if you burner supports both formats, try burning onto the other format.

Saturday, August 1, 2009 4:56 AM
    Answerer
  • Your pretty sure it's not the download manager...hu In another tread there seems to be several people having this problem
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 5:36 AM
  • Ntldr is missing means tells you in tis case  A.  xp's loader is missing and  B.  the BIOS is not configured to boot from the dvd. When you restart the computer if the bios is configured to boot from the dvd drive you should see "press any key to boot from dvd".

Try restarting the computer and the very first thing you see is press f1 to enter setup. When in bios setup select the dvd rom drive as the first primary boot device and restart.

Saturday, August 1, 2009 5:42 AM
  • Im not having boot broblems Im having corrupt or missing file problems
    windows\system32\driver\cng.sys (missing or corrupt)
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 5:46 AM
  • My response is more applicable to mobyforce's scenario. Thank you.
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 5:48 AM
  • Ntldr is missing means tells you in tis case  A.  xp's loader is missing and  B.  the BIOS is not configured to boot from the dvd. When you restart the computer if the bios is configured to boot from the dvd drive you should see "press any key to boot from dvd".

Try restarting the computer and the very first thing you see is press f1 to enter setup. When in bios setup select the dvd rom drive as the first primary boot device and restart.

From my reading, I didn't think that Vista or 7 uses the NTLDR. My HD is bran new, never been an OS on it so yes...the XP loader is missing. I don't know why it is even looking for that. My Bios is set to boot from DVD, USB the the HDD last.

Can I add it to the DVD?

To burn my DVD's i have used Nero and ISOBurn. I believe i am doing it right since i ahve made 100's of DVD's from ISO's for one thing or another and they all go off without a hitch...
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 2:45 PM
  • Generally receiving an "NTLDR is missing" message when attempting to boot from the DVD means that:
    [a] The DVD was not bootable, and
    [b] The SYSTEM partition on the hard drive no longer has the WinXP boot loader installed -- which is what generates the "NTLDR is missing" message.

The primary issue here is that the DVD(s) you are burning appear to be not bootable.

What are the exact steps you are using to burn the DVD(s)?
    [a] I believe it should be bootable. I only say that since i am just creating the DVD from the ISO, but i suppose that could be a possibility. Is the download from MS a bootable ISO or does it need to be modified or do I need some sot of DOS boot disk like i needed every once in a while in the past for XP or something?

[b] THis is true. The HDD I am using is brand spanking new. Never anything on it. The original HDD was not new, just reformatted XP was on that, but as i said, I am not even trying that one anymore. I want to load on my new 1TB.

Creating my ISO's
    ISO Burn - this jsut adds an option when i right click an ISO image. "Burn Disk Image"...this has been my primary method for about a year now. Works greate.
    Nero - Here I jsut select File>Burn Image then navigate to my ISO. I burned the last one on the slowest speed.

Saturday, August 1, 2009 3:06 PM
  • Ntldr as you said is not a component of vista or 7 ,it's xp or 2000's loader file. Somehow bios can't the detect the dvd and skips over it. As you said you reformatted the hdd but even so the hdd bootsector is still set to nt/52 which is ntldr's bootsector. This is because the dvd did'nt load and change it to nt/60 which is vista or 7's hdd bootsector and as a result it searches for ntldr and of course the hdd was reformatted with the old boot cd you had so it can't find it.

One way or another the first step is to get the bios to detect the dvd's bootsector. The only thing that could prevent it would be the bios is not set to detect it, the dvd drive is disconnected or faulty, the dvd does not contain a valid boot image, or the bios is to old to detect 7's eighrt sector boot image as opposed to xp and vista which are four sector although I am a little bit vague on the last reason. If the last reason, you need to update your bios. 

Also if the it's the last reason, on your dvd you can replace 7's boot image with vista's to make it compatible with your motherboard if you have a vista disk handy.

If you can't get bios to recognize the dvd an option is to copy the dvd to a usb drive, make it bootable and install it from a usb or pen drive, that is of course if you have another operating system loaded on some other computer to do this.

If you don't have access to another computer the next option is if bios is able to detect your old system's disk you may have stored somewhere or the one you used to wipe out your hdd, is to install it and then run windows 7 setup whilest you are in windows of that earlier version.

Saturday, August 1, 2009 5:07 PM
  • I have two hd, both had windows xp.  I decided to install windows 7 on the primary drive and during the installation of windows 7, reformatted the hard drive and removed the partition and ran the install.  I made it most of the way through the install and when the message appeared 'windows starting', I received a blue screen of death. 

I changed the bios to boot into the old xp drive and used windows xp computer manager to reformat the drive and ran the seagate tools for checking the drive to make sure that it was ok and it passed the tests.

I changed the bios to boot from the dvd (I have an official ms install dvd) and when I rebooted the machine and the boot from dvd message appeared and I press 'any' key, I receive the ntldr missing message.

After searching the internet for hours and reading everything possible, I discovered that win7 doesn't even use ntldr (as mentioned above) someone even said that they had a wireless keyboard and mouse (as I do) and that plugging in a keyboard solved their problem ( I don't have a corded keyboard anymore). 

I tried copying over the ntldr files from the working xp system to the new drive along with the .com file, rebooted and the win7 cd hung at windows start screen.

My bios is a couple of levels back but now I'm wondering about the following comment, "or the bios is to old to detect 7's eighrt sector boot image as opposed to xp and vista which are four sector although I am a little bit vague on the last reason. If the last reason, you need to update your bios."

I tried booting from my winxp dvd to see if I could get that to work and I get the ntldr missing message, which I could probably solve by coping the files over from the older hard drive. 

I tried booting into my old xp drive and running the win7 install and I don't have enough free disk space to run the install....

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks,
    Newx

Sunday, November 15, 2009 12:31 AM