none
What Happens? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey there. I've never, ever installed an OS. What data will be lost, and what won't be? Will I need to backup all my files?

And does RC1 work with Office 2007?
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 7:43 PM

Answers

• Good afternoon Seatbeltblue!

Good questions! The installation of the OS you speak of is kind of vague so I'll cover both paths for you. In an "upgrade" scenario you will ramp up the existing os (you didnt' indicate if this was a working machine or a new drive) to the higher level. upgrades typically won't damage any applications 9unless they won't run on the new OS) or user data. You can also install the new OS from scratch. this path is what most IT pros prefer since if there were any issues in the old os due to corruption or bad configuration it won't be carried over to the new OS.

In either route you will always want to back up your data. You can use tools like Vista complete PC backup, Windows home server backup or even something as manual as copying your documents to an external drive. Just understand your "rollback" capabilities are far greater with a complete PC or bare-metal backup than just saving your user created files.

In terms of Office 2k7, I am currently running it now with no issues on Win 7 RC.

Best of luck!

Chad Solarz
    Sr. Tech Instructor
    Directions Training
    MCSA / MCSE / MCDST / MCT
    MCTS: Vista / exch 2k7 / server 2k8 / forefront
    MCITP: Vista / server 2k8
    csolarz
    • Marked as answer by seatbeltblue Tuesday, May 5, 2009 8:12 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 7:57 PM

All replies

• Good afternoon Seatbeltblue!

Good questions! The installation of the OS you speak of is kind of vague so I'll cover both paths for you. In an "upgrade" scenario you will ramp up the existing os (you didnt' indicate if this was a working machine or a new drive) to the higher level. upgrades typically won't damage any applications 9unless they won't run on the new OS) or user data. You can also install the new OS from scratch. this path is what most IT pros prefer since if there were any issues in the old os due to corruption or bad configuration it won't be carried over to the new OS.

In either route you will always want to back up your data. You can use tools like Vista complete PC backup, Windows home server backup or even something as manual as copying your documents to an external drive. Just understand your "rollback" capabilities are far greater with a complete PC or bare-metal backup than just saving your user created files.

In terms of Office 2k7, I am currently running it now with no issues on Win 7 RC.

Best of luck!

Chad Solarz
    Sr. Tech Instructor
    Directions Training
    MCSA / MCSE / MCDST / MCT
    MCTS: Vista / exch 2k7 / server 2k8 / forefront
    MCITP: Vista / server 2k8
    csolarz
    • Marked as answer by seatbeltblue Tuesday, May 5, 2009 8:12 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 7:57 PM
  • Thanks so much!

I'm going to be upgrading from Vista, not a straight clean install. My machine came with HP system restore on a separate partition -- will that be at all affected?
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 8:09 PM
  • not if your doing an upgrade. Just remember that if you ever get in a pinch and use the system restore from that OEM partition, it'll roll you back to the manufacturer Vista build!

glad to hear I could be of assistance
    Chad Solarz Sr. Tech Instructor Directions Training MCSA / MCSE / MCDST / MCT MCTS: Vista / exch 2k7 / server 2k8 / forefront MCITP: Vista / server 2k8
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 8:14 PM
  • I have one more quick question. How do I install the blasted thing? It's done downloading. Just run setup.exe?
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 8:34 PM
  • I would like to suggest that you use a more descriptive "subject" line.  "What happens" is too vague.  Think about the people who are looking at the list of topics -- one of them just says "What happens".  The others have much more information in the subject line.

Although you got a very good answer, in general, you should be a little more descriptive in your subject lines.

Hope this helps.

David Walker
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 9:05 PM
  • I have one more quick question. How do I install the blasted thing? It's done downloading. Just run setup.exe?
    Do a search for an ISO burn software, there are some good free ones out there. Then is you have a DVD capable of writing to blank DVDs you're set. Just read and follow the instructions/help files that come with the DVD burning software.
    I found that Win 7 beta could do that natively when I installed Win 7 RC1.

Ed Propes

Tuesday, May 5, 2009 9:13 PM
  • I would like to suggest that you use a more descriptive "subject" line.  "What happens" is too vague.  Think about the people who are looking at the list of topics -- one of them just says "What happens".  The others have much more information in the subject line.

Although you got a very good answer, in general, you should be a little more descriptive in your subject lines.

Hope this helps.

David Walker
    You sound like a frigggin' robot, for God's sakes!
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 9:17 PM