none
VPN defaults to using dial-up connection with non-existent modem

    Question

  • I use a Dell laptop computer with Vista Business for work. I have been connection using a VPN connection that, up until a month ago, worked fine. I connected through our wireless internet connection at home.

    Out of the blue, it stopped working. I decided to delete the connection and start over.

    Connect to a Network
    Connect to a workplace
    Use my Internet connection
    I then type the internet address, username and password (all verified by my administrator)

    I then get a message saying the wizard cannot connect. I set up the connection anyway. Under properties, I see that it is trying to connect via a non-existent modem (despite telling it to connect via my internet connection). There is no way to change this option, it automatically defaults to this. Therefore, I cannot connect to my workplace.

    I've seen this issue pop up on a few forums, but haven't seen the solution. Any ideas?
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 12:23 AM

All replies

  • Hi rcsmith09,
    Thanks for using Microsoft Answers!

    I'm moving your thread to the Windows Vista Networking forums in the TechNet community. They'll be able to better assist you there.

    Cody C
    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 12:03 AM
  • I had this same issue, and I solved it by determining that I had an outdated credssp.dll file (I was occasionally receiving an error relating to that file).  I applied the hotfix recommended in Knowledgebase article 2203302, and then recreated the connection.  I have had no problems since.

    I know your post is old (almost a year at the time I'm posting this), but I'm really posting this answer so other people can try out my solution and see if it works for them.  I found it on my own.

    Oh, and I'm using Windows 7... you're on Vista, but I would bet it's a related issue, considering the hotfix covers both vista and 7.

    Sunday, January 09, 2011 6:11 AM
  • I had the same problem with Windows 7 - I tried every solution under the sun to fix this including driver updates, network card re-installs, service packs, reverting to a previous restore point, etc. to no avail.  I'll bet I spent 4 days trying to fix this.  In the end, I removed all of my network adapters via the Device Manager & ran the "Windows Update" repair from the Windows 7 installation disk, which fixed my problem.  It sounds drastic but left all of my documents & programs working just fine and only took about 5 hours total.  It will save you lots of time to let that run overnight or on a weekend.

     

     

    Monday, February 07, 2011 4:19 PM