none
Second SATA Hard Disk Drive not recognized fix RRS feed

• General discussion

• We are at RTM already for Windows 7 ads still no update on this issue..   Meanwhile I found this procedure worked for me so I hope others will also find this fix helpful.

Even in the latest build (7600) additional HDD's are not installed after a clean installation of Windows 7 (ie: drives other than the system drive Windows installed to).

I hear of many people (like myself) going as far as using forensic tools to establish if their precious data remains intact which of course it is, as are the partition structures.   This can be simply verified by connecting the drive to another system with XP or Vista installed which will then show up in my computer.

The drives appear in the machine BIOS however may or may not appear in the Windows7 Disk management Utility.  If it is an old drive with existing data it may appear initialized but not formatted and may ask to format the drive!!    If it is a new drive then you may initialize it but find it impossible to format!!

The problem appears to be the disk and or volume drivers which Windows refuses to install automatically for additional SSD's and HDD's.   While searching for drivers by any method provided (search online & manually) does not produce any positive results, it is possible to load the drivers if you know exactly what to look for, which is the pnp disk driver and Volume manager driver located within C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

So far of two methods I have found, method 1 has proved the most successful inwhich you use the 'Update Driver Software' option of the unknown device (your drive) found in the Device Manager.

1a.
    Open The Device Manager
    Select 'Other Devices' and then the drive
    Select it and 'Update Driver Software' or from "properties - Driver TAB - Update Driver"
    select 'Browse My Computer'
    then 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'
    scroll to 'Disk drives' and select it and next if needed
    select 'Have Disk' and browse to disk.inf within the:
         "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\disk.inf_x86_neutral_b431b61a11f8df6c" folder
    select it; click 'OK'  select the appropriate device if presented.  Your hard drive will now show up in Device Manager under 'Disk Drives'

1b.
    Under 'Other Devices' you may find 'Storage Manager'
    select it and 'Update Driver Software' or from "properties - Driver TAB - Update Driver"
    select 'Browse My Computer for driver software'
    Check 'include subfolders' and browse to:
         'C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository' folder,
    then select 'Next' allow Windows to install the driver

Your HDD or SSD will now show in 'My computer' (or 'Disk Management' if it is a new drive where the disk can now be formatted).

If in doubt as to which 'Other Device' is your drive, then select each unknown device in turn and select 'Update driver'.  Use the  'Browse My Computer for driver software' Check 'include subfolders' and browse to:
         'C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository' folder,
    select 'Next' and allow Windows to install drivers it finds.
    Still have problems, then return to step 1

The other method (still confirming it's success rate) is updating the device in the new 'Hardware and Printers' selection from Windows Start Menu (which I believe is new and improved in Windows7)

Hope this is useful to all those having this issue and also if anyone would like to enlighten us on why this is happening, we'll all be much appreciated..

:)
    • Changed type ihjones Thursday, October 1, 2009 11:11 PM
    • Changed type ihjones Thursday, October 1, 2009 11:12 PM
    • Changed type Dale QiaoModerator Friday, October 2, 2009 9:18 AM Information sharing.
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 5:13 PM

All replies

• Hi ihjones,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I believe this does a great help for community users who occurs with the similar issue. BTW, since it is resolution sharing thread, it is more for general discussion than question. Thus I will change the type to general discussion. Thanks again for your great efforts and understanding.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards
    Dale  
    Friday, October 2, 2009 9:16 AM
  • i cant get a 2TB normal sata drive i bought from best buy to show up on a store bought computer  windows 7 is glitched like no other. my advise throw the dam thing away and go with XP
    Monday, January 3, 2011 9:07 AM
  • There is most likely a good reason for this, since the drive is new, raw and uninitiallized..   with the lack of some important details I'm assuming that duddy9987 has connected a new drive and it doesn't show up in "My Computer" (or the new name "Computer") window.   If this is the case, does the unformatted drive show up in Disk managegment?  To check; type diskmgmt.msc in the run box or Start Menu programs seearch window.  If the drive is listed you will need to Initialize the drive and quick format it for the drive to appear in "My Computer"

;)

Monday, January 3, 2011 4:37 PM
  • Duddy,  you hit the nail on the head,  Win7 and its predecesor Vista are a dog's breakfast of 20,000 odd files that are unfriendly and frustratingly perverse.  The "team" of "experts" that composed the mess should be lined up against the wall and shot.  My days with Microsoft are rapidly coming to an end.

I have added a second HDD and am finding partitioning of it near impossible;  Win 7 is completely unhelpful,  or,  rather,  hostile to any but an IT professional doing what was simple computer maintainence in XP and prior versions of Windows.  Yes I have it inn Disk Management,  have even formatted it,  but PARTITION IT,  not on your sweet life,  WIN 7 won't help me.

A pox on Microsoft;  give me DOS any day.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 6:59 AM
  • Hi,

What if the drive shows up in the Disk Drives section in the device manager but does not show up in the My computer .

I have 2 hdd seagate- 160 gb and seagate1TB barracuda 7200. I recently formatted my system with a fresh Win 7 install. The OS is and has always been on 160 gb segante. The 1TB drive in non bootable. The boot drive is master and 1TB is connected as slave.  During the format the 1Tb hdd showed as unallocated space. And after the format the drive does not show up in my computer. Both drives are recognized as IDE drives in bios . And both of them also show up in device manager under disk drives but the 1TB drive does not show up in the My computer. I have very important data on the 1TB drive. Please suggest me some solution.

Any Ideas are welcome

Thursday, February 2, 2012 12:27 PM
  • @ 7ThEYE,  Should be looking in Disk management for your drive,   type diskmgmt.msc in the run box or Start Menu programs search window.    if it shows up there but not in MyComputer then check if the partition has a drive letter assignment?  if not, give it one.
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 10:16 PM
  • The drive is not visible in the "Disk management " section. I can see it in bios and i can see it in the Device Manager under Disk Drives category . Other than that its not visible anywhere . And the drive is not empty. Actually it was almost full (i remember windows showing the partitions in red before format). There are couple of folders that are very important to me personally and some folders that would cost a fortune. So i cant just format it. If it shows up in windows explorer even without partitions i could try with some disk recovery software but even that is not happening.

One more thing i noticed. I have a couple of dvd writers so i used there IDE slots to connect the 1TB drive. It trys to install drivers. But it cannot. I mean windows says found new hardware, then it recognizes the name (ST31000528AS ATA) after that the driver installer reads installing new hardware and the 1TB drive vigorously rotates (it does not make a noise but i can feel the rotation if i touch the Cabinet). This continues for almost an hour. Finally i get irritated and close that window. After that same thing. I can see it in bios and i can see it in the device manager under Disk Drives category . Other than that its not visible anywhere .

If it makes any difference here are the specs of the drive

S/N : 5VP0SY##

ST31000528AS

P/N : 9SL 154 - 300

Frimware : CC34

Date Code : 0984#

Site code : WU

(hashed some letters for obvious reasons , let me know if they are required )
    Friday, February 3, 2012 6:07 AM
  • Turn the computer off without the external hard drive being plugged in.
    plug the external hard drive in a usb port, power up, the systems post boot up will find the drive and inform windows what hardware is installed.
    When windows boots up, it will look at all the hardware and find the external hard drive, when windows finishes booting up you should be able to see the drive in my computer.

If you can't access your files,data recovery software can help.I used this one called Tenorshare Data Recovery to retrieve files off crashed HDD and it worked.
    If needed,you can download it and scan your hard drive for free to preview whether your files can be recovered.It will show you the file name,type,date and size of your files and thumbnails for your pictures that it found on your drive.I found it from

http://tenorsharedatarecovery.blogspot.com/2012/01/when-external-hard-drive-data-recovery.html

If it helps, please vote for me!

And also, by the time you finish reading this you will realize that this is just my signature.

Monday, March 12, 2012 4:08 AM
  • Thank you so much. This realy helped.
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:42 PM
  • There is most likely a good reason for this, since the drive is new, raw and uninitiallized..   with the lack of some important details I'm assuming that duddy9987 has connected a new drive and it doesn't show up in "My Computer" (or the new name "Computer") window.   If this is the case, does the unformatted drive show up in Disk managegment?  To check; type diskmgmt.msc in the run box or Start Menu programs seearch window.  If the drive is listed you will need to Initialize the drive and quick format it for the drive to appear in "My Computer"

I had the same issue with a new SATA 500gb hard drive. The post copied here worked for me.

Thank you very much.  :)

Sunday, September 28, 2014 5:47 AM