none
Game DVR Without explorer.exe? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using the 'Custom UI' group policy in Windows 10 Pro to load a games/emulator fronted, instead of explorer.exe on Windows startup. Unfortunately Game DVR and the Game Bar won't show when loading Windows like this. If I run task manager and load explorer.exe the Game Bar and Game DVR work fine.

My question - is it possible to use Game DVR when loading Windows like this? Are there services I just need to start? Or do these features actually require explorer.exe to be running?

Monday, May 9, 2016 8:02 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi NickTones,

Based on your description, this issue can be solved when Explorer.exe is loaded, right?

Why you need using the 'Custom UI' group policy to load games instead of explorer.exe?

Based on the symptom, it does require explorer.exe to be running.

It is suggested to keep explorer.exe running.

If you want to use the 'Custom UI' group policy to load games, try to manually run explorer.exe before opening games as a workaround.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 11:46 AM
  • Hi,

I'm not running games through this method - I'm launching a front-end to launch the games.  The idea is this setup works in an arcade or similar setup.

Launching explorer.exe, and using Custom UI group policy makes no sense - as the custom ui policy specifically doesn't load explorer.exe - it loads the UI exe that it specified.

I'm trying to figure out which services Game DVR requires so I can start them manually.

Friday, May 13, 2016 7:52 AM
  • Hi NickTones,

As far as I know, Custom UI starts the interface you specify instead of Explorer.exe.

Based on the symptom, Game DVR does require explorer.exe to be running.

We could manually run Explorer.exe to enable Game DVR work fine if this policy enabled,

Or disable this policy.

“I'm trying to figure out which services Game DVR requires so I can start them manually.”

Since Game DVR is related to Xbox app, we could ask Xbox support for help.

They may have more suggestion for you.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/?xr=shellnav

Best regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Sunday, May 22, 2016 3:52 AM