Windows 7 Bitlocker without TPM and without USB key RRS feed

• Question

• In Windows 8, it is possible to configure Bitlocker without a TPM and only with a password. You enter the password when you select the operating system at boot loader (If you have dual boot) or in a Bitlocker blue screen before Windows boots. You do not need a USB key to start the computer only the password. I know that in Vista you need the USB obligatory when you don’t have a TPM. My question is about Windows 7, by default it seems you need the USB Key to boot like in Vista, but is there a way to make it behave like Windows 8? So you do not need the USB key and only provide a password?

Friday, November 30, 2012 1:12 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As far as I know, USB is needed for Bitlocker without TPM on Windows 7. It is same as Windows Vista.

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Robert Eshuis Tuesday, December 4, 2012 10:13 PM
    Friday, November 30, 2012 3:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, USB is needed for Bitlocker without TPM on Windows 7. It is same as Windows Vista.

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Niki Han

• Marked as answer by Robert Eshuis Tuesday, December 4, 2012 10:13 PM
    Friday, November 30, 2012 3:03 AM
  • I am currently standing by for an update from you and would like to know how things are going. If you have any feedback, please let us know.

Niki Han

Monday, December 3, 2012 3:03 AM
  • Robert,

By design, this feature is only added in Windows 8.

For OS drive, you cannot use Password as a protector in Win7.

For Windows 7, for non-TPM machines you will have to use a StartupKey (USB stick).

Manoj Sehgal

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 3:15 AM
  • Thanks  a million Niki, Manoj. Question Answered
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 10:15 PM