none
usbehci.sys not digitally signed - Half My USB ports not working

Question

• I was using my computer, one second I was fine, the next, half my USB ports don't work. I do not know why it happened all of a sudden, I did not make any hardware changes in between the time my USB ports were working then suddenly not working. This has not happened since I got the computer several months to a year ago. Looks like the problem is that Windows cannot verify the digital signature of usbehci.sys

In the Device Manager - Universal Serial Bus controllers shows exclamation marks next to:

Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller 3A3A

Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller 3A3C

Reading the properties for these two entries provides:

In the general tab: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)

In the driver tab: c:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbehci.sys

Provider: MICROSOFT CORPORATION

File version: 6.1.7600.16445(win7_gdr.09123-1601)

Digital Signer: Not digitally signed.

Please help. Trying to update the drivers doesn't help. Windows tells me they are already updated. If I "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" while booting up, my USB ports work fine. But I shouldn't have to do this every time I start up my computer

Sunday, April 10, 2011 5:19 AM

Answers

• Have you tried uninstalling it in Device Manager (just the device, not the driver), restarting and letting Windows re-detect and re-install the driver?
    Richard Gale - Windows Expert-Consumer
    • Marked as answer by chicojones Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:43 PM
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 7:10 PM

All replies

• Have you tried uninstalling it in Device Manager (just the device, not the driver), restarting and letting Windows re-detect and re-install the driver?
    • Marked as answer by chicojones Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:43 PM
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 7:10 PM
  • So far so good, looks like that worked. Thank you so much Richard.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:41 PM
  • Thanks Richard. I had this same problem and have been fighting it since my reboot last night. I'm thinking the problem was introduced when an update to my MS Natural Keyboard software was installed, but I'm not sure. Microsoft (USB) 04/08/2011 8.15.403.0 was also just installed on my system within a day or so before my reboot.

Aside from my thanks, the reason for my post is this.

NONE of my USB ports were working after this problem. And, my system does NOT have any old-school PS/2 ports. So I had NO keyboard and NO mouse to log in with or control Windows. (the keyboard worked fine pre-Windows in the BIOS)

I got really lucky and remembered that I had installed LogMeIn Free a week or two ago. (took me 8 hrs to remember this!) So I was able to remotely control my computer and try your fix among other pointless attempts.

So my question... does anyone know how this type of wholistic USB device driver problem could be fixed if from a command prompt or windows repair most in case I (or someone else) face this again and can not remotely control their computer?

Friday, April 22, 2011 6:17 PM
  • I have noticed some issues with USB but it seems to be intermittent and I have investigated this closely and so far noting pops up.

I use powered USB hubs and I have 2 of them. One is attached to the other so I have 1 cable for USB galore.

I suggested powered hubs as they are usually adequate for most needs, this cuts down on the octopus of cables off the machine.

My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT

Remote Assistance is available for a fee.

I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Saturday, April 23, 2011 10:09 PM
  • Thanks Vegan. I definitely agree regarding powered hubs being most reliable.

Just informationally, in my scenario I was using built-in ports only and tried all of them. (4 in back, 3 on top and 1 in the front - Dell Studio XPS 9100) Still feeling extremely lucky that I just happened to have LogMeIn installed!

Saturday, April 23, 2011 10:29 PM
  • I bought several of them from eBay cheap, make sure the power has 2A for the hub so its got lots of current for the occasional 500mA devices like disks

My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Saturday, April 23, 2011 11:02 PM
  • Not sure this is a good idea having hubs as a main "highway" for all your USB.  If you have any slow devices in the chain, the entire chain gets slowed down to the same speed as the slowest device.  Also, if you have all highspeed devices anyway, they are all trying to use the same "pipe" to flow data through.  Much better to determine which controllers represent what hubs (internally) then put high demand devices on separate controllers if possible. 

Depending on the data stream, you can get into "trouble" running something like a USB TV tuner on the same controller as say a high-speed scanner.  Everything might be perfect on the TV until you kick off a scan...

Typical "problem" (slow) devices are keyboards, older scanners, old thumbdrives (pre-USB2.0) even USB software (piracy) protection dongles.

Got a panicked call from a freind, "all of my USB stuff is slow on Vista, why?"  He had a 4-port board PCI USB2 board, and when he plugged his USB1.1 Flight yoke in, the other 3 ports throttled down to USB1.1 speeds.  Only solution was to move the Yoke to one of the motherboard USB connectors, rebuild the USB stack, and he was back up to full-speed for his PCI adaptor ports (external drives and whatnot). 

DAS

Monday, April 25, 2011 5:13 PM
  • Proper hubs will not be slowed by legacy devices, they all dynamically change as the device can support.

I have no high demand devices, mice keyboards, printers, smart card, etc. The web cam is about the only heavy load and it all works fine.

I do not use a TV tuner at present, but I agree that USB2 can get saturated fast with current offerings if you are not careful.

Monday, April 25, 2011 5:17 PM
  • Although all this hub discussion is useful and could help someone, before we go too off track I want to make sure the original issue is not lost.

Please see the original post. Although Richard J Gale's post from "Sunday, April 10, 2011 7:10 PM" has a fix(assuming you can control the computer), in cases where all USB ports are not functioning and PS2 is not an option, any ideas for what someone can do?

My follow-up from "Friday, April 22, 2011 6:17 PM" has more related comments. Thanks all for your thoughts.

Monday, April 25, 2011 5:27 PM
  • If the USB ports are not working but show in the device manager, there could be a regulator problem that is not providing power to the port. I have noticed that on an old board I was using several years ago.

Check in the device manager

If there is a yellow or red symbol, get back here and I will help fix that

Monday, April 25, 2011 6:07 PM

Exact same problem,

Have you tried uninstalling it in Device Manager (just the device, not the driver), restarting and letting Windows re-detect and re-install the driver?

This solution worked for me too. Thanks

Sunday, May 08, 2011 9:29 PM
  • I encountered the same problem on my HP laptop, and the workaround (uninstalling in Device Manager and let windows re-detect) works for me.

thanks a lot

Saturday, May 14, 2011 9:23 PM
  • Richard,

This does not work for me.

Suddenly (looks just after I applied the W7x64-SP1 2 days ago), all my USB devices are now with exclamation marks, and doesn't work.

They are all identified as not digitally signed.

uninstalling the devices did not do anything.

HELP...

Friday, December 21, 2012 2:46 PM