none
There was a problem starting c:\ program RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I get this message everytime we start the machine: 

"There was a problem starting c:\ program

the specified model could not be found RunDLL"

I have windows 10home on Lenovo B5400 PC.

How do I solve this? The machine is very slow - does it have anything to do with this error? 

Thanks!

Monday, December 25, 2017 11:57 AM

All replies

• More information is needed.

Can you use a camera or smart phone camera to take a picture and post an image into the thread?

Use English as the default language:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

Start with these steps to check the operating and files system:

Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:

1) sfc /scannow

2) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

3) chkdsk /scan

4) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

5) msconfig (in the pop up system configuration > move the dot from normal startup to selective startup > uncheck load startup items > click service tab > in left lower corner check hide all Microsoft services > in the lower right side click disable all > click apply or ok > do not reboot)

6) taskmgr (in the pop up task manager > click on the start up tab > click on status so that the column sorts with enable rising to the top > right click on each row with enable and change to disable)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/29876.how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-10.aspx

7) shutdown /r (you will reboot the computer so that it is in clean boot)

8) Evaluate the performance on your computer in clean boot during typical use.

a) Are the boots faster or slower?

b) Are the shutdowns faster or slower?

c) How has the video performance changed? Is it better, worse, or the same?

d) How has the sluggishness changed?  Is it better, worse, or the same.

9) Continue using clean boot indefinitely to monitor performance.

Monday, December 25, 2017 6:54 PM
  • Hi,

Does the error recorded the exact name of the .dll file?

According to my research, this error message could be caused by the following reasons:

missing or corrupted DLL files;
    damaged Windows registry entries;
    incorrect installation of programs;
    outdated Windows drivers;
    malware attack.

So, we could try the following measures to repair the issue and check again.

1. Run command line "sfc /scannow" as administrator to repair corrupted system files.

2. Update Windows to the latest version through Settings\Update & Security\Windows Update.

3.Navigate to the location recorded in the error message, and replace the .dll file with a good one which copied from another computer.

4.Run "regedit" in search box to open registry editor. Then delete the following registry entries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Run
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Run
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\RunOnce
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\RunOnce

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 26, 2017 10:25 AM
  • I am having the same issue with 3 Lenovo desktops at our office. This started after the latest major Windows 10 update we installed last week. I believe it is the Creator's Update. It is Version 1709 OS Build 16299.125.
    Wednesday, December 27, 2017 7:29 PM
  • "There was a problem starting c:\ program

It is obviously a syntax error in a shortcut, e.g. doublequotes needed around a file and path.  If the message window stays open long enough I would try finding out more about the Command line being used.  E.g. in Task Manager, right-click Go to Details and then look in the Command line column (which you would probably have to add).  Etc.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 8:14 PM
  • Hi AlonSch, 

I have not heard from you for several days, was the issue resolved?

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 28, 2017 2:13 AM
  • Hi AlonSch,

Would you mind letting me know the result of the suggestions? 
    If my reply is useful for you, please mark it as an answer to help more customers who have same issue with you.
    If the issue is persists, please reply to us directly.
    Bests,

Friday, December 29, 2017 9:47 AM
  • Hi, 

The error is not relating to specific program. It is a general DLL error - see the image (so no specific program/location). Any suggestions? I attached a screenshot below. Thanks!

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 2:46 PM
  • Hi, see below the screenshot of the error - it is not a specific program error. What do you think?
    Tuesday, January 2, 2018 3:05 PM
  • see the image (so no specific program/location). Any suggestions? 

Same as before, use Task Manager to find the Command line.

An alternative would be to use  WMIC  in an Administrator Command Prompt

wmic.exe  process where (Name Like "%DLL%") Get CommandLine, ProcessId

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 4:35 PM
  • Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:

1) sfc /scannow

2) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

3) chkdsk /scan

4) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

To evaluate the computer environment please run this whole command using administrative command prompt:

(Before running the command make sure the default language is English so that the files can be scanned and read:  https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

The files will appear on the desktop.  Use one drive or drop box to post share links into the thread.

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 4:44 PM
  • Hi Alon, 

Thank you for your screen shot.

Did you test the actions I wrote down in the former post?

I would be very appreciate for your feedback about test result of those actions.

Bests,

Thursday, January 4, 2018 9:23 AM
  • Hi. I have Lenovo L512 and same message appear to my computer few days ago. I delete those 4 entry using regedit but did not help
    Wednesday, February 7, 2018 10:06 PM
  • I have a Lenovo SL510 and I have the same error messageevery time I restart since installing the Fall update.
    Tuesday, February 13, 2018 8:59 AM
  • just came across this as well.

Did a whole load of troubleshooting and don't know if it will help others but found that it was the lenovo power management causing the issue in my case.

was a slow process of disabling all non-microsoft services and then slowly disabling startup items until i came across the correct one.

taskmanager > startup tab 

hope this helps others in the same stuation

http://completecomputing.net

IT consultant at http://completecomputing.net Providers of IT support and Networking solutions in Glasgow and Beyond.

Monday, February 19, 2018 1:54 AM
  • "There was a problem starting c:\ program

It is obviously a syntax error in a shortcut, e.g. doublequotes needed around a file and path.  If the message window stays open long enough I would try finding out more about the Command line being used.  E.g. in Task Manager, right-click Go to Details and then look in the Command line column (which you would probably have to add).  Etc.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

No, its actually a migration fault in windows 10.

For example, the 3DMidi player provided by creative uses

RunDll32 C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\PROFES~1\RunTime\09\01\Intel32\Ctor.dll,LaunchSetup "C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information\{06E3E953-0570-4DFF-A7B5-46114C390228}\setup.exe" -l0x9

as the uninstall string, and successfully removes the software under 7 and 8, but fails under 10 after an upgrade install.in

3DMidi's case, running the original installer will offer to remove it prior to reinstallation, WHICH THEN WORKS even though its still the same reg string.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 12:21 PM
  • It may well be a migration fault with the uninstaller path in the registry in Windows 10, but I had a similar issue with a different program (Samsung's User Guide), and tracked down the uninstall string in the registry: 

RunDll32 C:\Program Files (x86)\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\PROFES~1\RunTime\0701\Intel32\ctor.dll,LaunchSetup "C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information\{BAE68339-B0F6-4D33-9554-5A3DB2DFF5DA}\setup.exe" -l0x9 Remove

As you can see, there are spaces in the path for the DLL, so putting double quotes around the dll path and then running it on the command line successfully uninstalled it.

RunDll32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\PROFES~1\RunTime\0701\Intel32\ctor.dll",LaunchSetup "C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information\{BAE68339-B0F6-4D33-9554-5A3DB2DFF5DA}\setup.exe" -l0x9 Remove

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 9:02 PM
  • Did any one find a fix for this as I'm having the same problem on a Lenovo as well -

There was a problem starting C:\PROGRA~3\0D67CDA0\0D67CD32.DLL

The Specific module could not be found

Thursday, November 8, 2018 2:24 AM