none
MS Project Calendar RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a project with task duration in months i.e a task that starts in July and has a duration of 3 months should be finished September the 30th. However, in MS Project when a task with a duration of 3 months starts the first of July it finishes on the 22nd of September or if I try to set the due date correctly (according to my needs) the duration appears to be 3,3 (instead of 3) months. How can I deal with this?

Monday, May 25, 2020 11:00 AM

All replies

• C_Kask,

You are thinking in calendar months which of course has varying days but Project works in working time, so a "month" is 20 working days by default. And, Project only allows one definition for a month, File > Options > Schedule group.

One simply way to implement what you want is to enter duration in "emons" which is elapsed time.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, May 25, 2020 1:46 PM
  • C_Kask,

I agree with John that using "emons" will get you closer to the calendar-month result you seek, but they are unlikely to match exactly.  By definition, one elapsed month is thirty 24-hour days, and this can't be changed.

You could also change the definition of "month" from 20 working days (default) to 22 working days, which is a little more accurate in the absence of holidays.

At the end of the day, the computer will simply never agree that that the interval from 2-Jan to 2-Feb (one month) is the same as that from 2-Feb to 2 Mar.  It simply does not compute.

Good luck, tom

Tuesday, May 26, 2020 12:54 PM
  • C_Kask,

Tom makes a good point and I should have added the following to my original response.

If you want a more exact schedule forget about using months or even emonths. As Tom notes, you just can't get there from here. I suggest you use weeks for longer duration tasks and hours for short term tasks. Keep in mind however, that a "week" in Project is 5 working days and a working "day" is 8 hours. Both of those can be edited via File > Options > Schedule group, but again, Project only provides for one definition of each. This latter limitation can create some challenges if you are trying to create a schedule that uses a 9-80 type work schedule.

Hope this provides further help/clarification.

John

Tuesday, May 26, 2020 3:37 PM