none
Windows 7 taking up surprising space on HD

Question

• I've just installed Windows 7 home edition and was surprised to see that the partition that includes Windows 7 now takes up 142 GB on the HD, which means I have about 25 GB free space left. Can anyone tell me what I can do to decrease the number of the software partition, currently named SW_PRELOAD?
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 8:38 PM

Answers

• Hi Abi8220,

I would like to explain that some of the following factors can take up a large space on your system partition.

1.   System restore points

2.   Temporary files

3.   Antivirus program definitions

Based on the current situation, I would like to suggest you perform the following steps to check the issue.

Suggestion 1:  Adjust the amount of space used by Volume Shadow Copy

================================================

1. Click the “Start” button, “All Programs” and “Accessories”.

2. Right click “Command Prompt” and select "Run as administrator".

3. Click “Continue” when the User Account Control window appears.

4. Type the following command and press Enter:

Vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=C: /For=C: /MaxSize=10GB

Note: This number is an example. Use as much as you want, the maximum number of the MaxSize is 15% of the partition space.

Suggestion 2: Clear temporary files on the system drive

1. Click Start and Computer.

2. Right-click the C: drive and choose Properties.

3. Click Disk Cleanup and choose "All files on this computer".

4. Check Temporary files folder and click OK to remove them.

Suggestion 3: Temporarily uninstall the antivirus program to check the issue.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 3:41 AM
  • when I look at the size of each (Drivers, Intel, Lenovo, PerfLogs, Program Files, SWTOOLS etc.), they don't add up to approx. 100 GB, maybe only a couple of GB.
    You say "when I look"...  Are you using Explorer?  Do you know that Explorer hides many files from view?  It is entirely possible they're just files hidden in an out of the way place, from before you installed your software.  Have you ever recorded any video?  That makes HUGE files.

I've found a nifty little free tool called Scanner for getting a nice overview of what's using space on a disk:  http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/

Before reinstalling everything, I strongly suggest you use this tool to determine what's where.  Once you do find where all the space is being used, use the Options in Explorer to view hidden and system files to make sure you can see the files.

-Noel

• Marked as answer by Abi8220 Thursday, December 03, 2009 8:57 PM
    Monday, November 30, 2009 1:19 PM

All replies

• Windows 7 does not by itself take 142 Gigabytes of disk space.

I installed Windows 7 ultimate in a 64 GB partition and it left more than 50 GB free when the dust settled after the install.

How much free space is IN that 142 GB partition?  In other words, how much free space is on drive C:?  Open My Computer to see.

When you say the "partition" that includes Windows 7...  Did you partition your hard drive during installation of Windows 7?  If not, did you review the partitioning before installing?

SW_PRELOAD sounds like something a manufacturer of the computer might have put on there.

There are partitioning programs out there that could be used to reorganize your allocations....  Partition Magic comes to mind.

-Noel
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 9:23 PM
  • Hi Abi8220,

I would like to explain that some of the following factors can take up a large space on your system partition.

1.   System restore points

2.   Temporary files

3.   Antivirus program definitions

Based on the current situation, I would like to suggest you perform the following steps to check the issue.

Suggestion 1:  Adjust the amount of space used by Volume Shadow Copy

1. Click the “Start” button, “All Programs” and “Accessories”.

2. Right click “Command Prompt” and select "Run as administrator".

3. Click “Continue” when the User Account Control window appears.

4. Type the following command and press Enter:

Vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=C: /For=C: /MaxSize=10GB

Note: This number is an example. Use as much as you want, the maximum number of the MaxSize is 15% of the partition space.

Suggestion 2: Clear temporary files on the system drive

1. Click Start and Computer.

2. Right-click the C: drive and choose Properties.

3. Click Disk Cleanup and choose "All files on this computer".

4. Check Temporary files folder and click OK to remove them.

Suggestion 3: Temporarily uninstall the antivirus program to check the issue.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 3:41 AM
  • Hello Noel and Arthur,
    First of all, thanks for getting back to me. Noel, you're right: Windows 7 doesn't take 142 GB of disk space. On my machine it takes up approx. 10 GB.

I got the problem all wrong: I tried to memorize what the problem was, as I have Windows 7 installed on another PC.

So, I'll try to clear it up and explain again, in the hope that you (or someone else) can help me.

First, there is no partition: There's only the c-drive called SW_Preload. It currently has 44,8 GB free of 142 GB. The drive includes various folders, but when I look at the size of each (Drivers, Intel, Lenovo, PerfLogs, Program Files, SWTOOLS etc.), they don't add up to approx. 100 GB, maybe only a couple of GB. 

I didn't check the C-drive before I installed Windows 7, so maybe the subfolders I mentioned where there to begin with? I thought option 'Advanced' during installation would automatically format everything?

So, now my question is: How do I start on a clean slate? Right now, I've installed nothing but Windows 7 and Office 2003. Is there an easy way to format the c-drive and re-install Windows 7 and Office - if that is required? I'll do what it takes to get it right, but I'm no techie...
    Friday, November 27, 2009 9:04 PM
  • he drive includes various folders, but when I look at the size of each (Drivers, Intel, Lenovo, PerfLogs, Program Files, SWTOOLS etc.), they don't add up to approx. 100 GB
    This may be relevant... If you don't have permissions to access a file, its size won't be included in the report.
    Friday, November 27, 2009 11:33 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried the previous suggestions?

Reinstalling Windows 7, Office 2003 and others will take you a lot of hours. Troubleshooting this issue should be easier than reinstalling everything.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, November 30, 2009 7:26 AM
  • when I look at the size of each (Drivers, Intel, Lenovo, PerfLogs, Program Files, SWTOOLS etc.), they don't add up to approx. 100 GB, maybe only a couple of GB.
    You say "when I look"...  Are you using Explorer?  Do you know that Explorer hides many files from view?  It is entirely possible they're just files hidden in an out of the way place, from before you installed your software.  Have you ever recorded any video?  That makes HUGE files.

I've found a nifty little free tool called Scanner for getting a nice overview of what's using space on a disk:  http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/

Before reinstalling everything, I strongly suggest you use this tool to determine what's where.  Once you do find where all the space is being used, use the Options in Explorer to view hidden and system files to make sure you can see the files.

-Noel

• Marked as answer by Abi8220 Thursday, December 03, 2009 8:57 PM
    Monday, November 30, 2009 1:19 PM
  • Hi Noel, I installed the scanner program you suggested. Of the approx. 95 GB used on the c-drive 2 GB is for pagefile.sys, 1.5 GB is for hiberfil.sys, 2.5 is for: SWTOOLS/APPS/rnr, SWTOOLS/APPS/NORTONIS, SWTOOLS/APPS/MMCCfto 62 GB is for RRbackups. Is there any of that I can safely delete? And if so, can you give me a brief description of what they are? As mentioned, I only have 7 and Office 2007 installed, so no recorded videos or anything else like that.
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 9:03 PM
  • 62 GB is for RRbackup
    RRbackups seems to be some kind of "IBM/Lenovo Rapid Restore and Recovery data". So given the name, you may wish to keep it around. Or, you could contact IBM / Lenovo to see what their suggestion may be...
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 11:15 PM
  • For more information about HIBERFIL. SYS and PAGEFILE. SYS, you may refer to the following link.

http://www.cknow.com/cms/articles/what-are-hiberfil-sys-and-pagefile-sys.html

Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, December 04, 2009 6:29 AM
  • Okay, I've googled the RRbackups and decide I want to remove it. But how do I do that? I can see it using the scanner program suggested by Noel ( http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/), but I can't find it through explorer or command prompt.

Saturday, December 05, 2009 1:29 PM
  • Sorry, I just realized I could remove directly using Scanner, so no more problems for me. Thanks for all your help - everyone!
    Saturday, December 05, 2009 1:47 PM
  • Resizing the shadowstorage space as mentioned above reclaimed over a 150 gigs of space that I could not figure out where it was being consumed. Very helpful. Thanks!

Thursday, December 10, 2009 12:04 AM