none
Windows 8.1 to 10 upgrade licence question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

You cannot buy an Upgrade copy of Windows 10 only a full version. On my current machine I am running windows 8.1. If I do a clean install of Windows 10 then, obviously, my Windows 8.1 licence would still be valid, so, if I use the Windows 10 to actually upgrade my 8.1 to 10 is the 8.1 licence still valid? It seems to me it should be.

The reason I ask is that my 8.1 install has the Media Center upgrade and though I don't use Media Center on this machine I may wish to use it to replace one of my Windows 7 systems when they go out of support.

A separate question. If I decided to reinstall the Windows 8.1, or upgrade a Windows 7 with it, is it still possible to use the Media Center key to add the Media Center upgrade? I know that you can no longer purchase one.

Dave

Thursday, October 6, 2016 5:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Pity you couldn't try answering my questions.

Media Center is still supported on Windows 8.1. I know you can no longer purchase it but if you already have a licence key, can you still do a Media Center upgrade of 8.1 with it. Well I have just answered that for myself and yes you can.

Media Center is not "dead" though Microsoft clearly wish it was.

Dave

• Marked as answer by Dave Mullard Friday, October 7, 2016 10:56 AM
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 10:12 AM

All replies

• Most unfortunately Microsoft has decided to discontinue Media Center and Windows 10 doesn't have any Media Center. So if you do a clean install of Windows 10, it will come out without Windows Media Center.

Windows Media Center is included in Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate editions.

As of October 30, 2015, the Windows 8 and 8.1 Pro Pack (which upgraded Windows 8 Home or 8.1 Home to Windows 8 Pro or 8.1 Pro, with Media Center) and Media Pack (which added Media Center to Windows 8 Pro or 8.1 Pro) are no longer available for purchase from Microsoft. Previously purchased feature pack licenses will still work, and valid feature packs may still be available for purchase from third-party retailers. Support for these products is still available.

As Windows Media Center is "dead" I shall suggest you to go with "Kodi"

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

Thursday, October 6, 2016 5:50 AM
  • Hi,

Media Center is still supported on Windows 8.1. I know you can no longer purchase it but if you already have a licence key, can you still do a Media Center upgrade of 8.1 with it. Well I have just answered that for myself and yes you can.

Dave

• Marked as answer by Dave Mullard Friday, October 7, 2016 10:56 AM
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 10:12 AM
  • Hi Dave,

Firstly, the Windows 10 free upgrade offer ended on July 29, 2016. Windows 10 will continue to be available for purchase, either on a device or as a full version of the software. A discounted "upgrade" version of Windows 10 will not be for sale.

Thus you cannot upgrade your Windows 8.1 to Window 10. Therefore your Windows 8.1 license is always valid.

If you still want to use the Media Center, keep Windows 8.1 system.

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Dave Mullard Friday, October 7, 2016 10:43 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Dave Mullard Friday, October 7, 2016 10:53 AM
    Friday, October 7, 2016 8:42 AM
  • Hi,

Dave

I never wrote Windows Media Center is not supported in Windows 8.1.Windows Media Center is supported in Windows 8.1 but not supported under Windows 10.

You cannot upgrade to Windows 10 as the offer to upgrade ended on 29th July, 2016. If the offer would have been there still you couldn't get Windows Media Center in Windows 10.

Here I am referring from Microsoft:

Is Windows Media Center available in Windows 10?

No, Windows Media Center isn’t available as part of Windows 10 and will be removed during the upgrade. After the upgrade is completed you won't be able to install Windows Media Center.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12435/windows-10-upgrade-faq

If you want to enjoy Windows Media Center then stick to Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate editions or, 8.1 Pro, with Media Center Feature Pack.

Else go with "Kodi

In many third party websites there are references of registry hack to include Windows Media Center in Windows 10. But these are NOT supported by Microsoft. More over any clean install will simply wipe that crap.

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

Friday, October 7, 2016 9:46 AM
  • I Karen,

Thank you.

"You cannot buy an Upgrade copy of Windows 10 only a full version." was the first line of my original post.

I am sure you could use full purchased copy of Windows 10 to do an upgrade. It has always been possible with all other versions of Windows.

However you have sort of answered my first question.

Dave

Friday, October 7, 2016 10:43 AM