none
Motherboard change in Windows 7

Question

• Hello,
    I've got windows XP and windows 7 on my hard drive and I plan to change my motherboard and CPU. I realize that for windows 7 isn't necessary to reinstall OS. I am wondering what will happen to my windows xp, will it still be available on my dual boot?

Thanks,
    Stjepan Kirigjija
    Monday, October 19, 2009 10:17 PM

Answers

• Yes you must reinstall Windows 7 when you change the hardware out.
    Says who?

Stjepan, both Windows Vista and Windows 7 handle a motherboard transplant quite well.  They'll almost certainly churn away locating and installing suitable device drivers for your new hardware, with no ill-effects other than the install deactivating.  You'll almost certainly need to reactivate afterwards.

Some people will take the 'cautious' approach and advise you to clean install again anyway.  But I'd recommend you try it and see.  If you're not happy with the results you can always start over with a clean install later on.

Your Windows XP install won't be happy at it afterwards though.  most likely outcome for XP is that it'll refuse to even boot up!

If you need to reinstall XP again that'll render your Windows 7 install unbootable, because the XP install will have changed the boot loader.  To get back the capacity to boot to windows 7, after you've reinstalled XP, you'll need to boot from the Windows 7 install disk and perform a 'Startup Repair'.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 6:10 AM
  • We will need to re-activate Windows 7 and Windows XP after replace important hardware. However I cannot help confirm whether we will need to reinstall operation system or not. It depends on the exact devices we changed.

For example, we may not need to reinstall system if we upgrade Intel CPU to a newer one, but need to reinstall if we replaced with an AMD CPU.

So as Techwrighter mentioned, just have a test. If both systems stopped working, repair Windows 7 and get into Windows 7 to repair Windows XP. That is another issue.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:47 AM

All replies

• Yes you must reinstall Windows 7 when you change the hardware out. Also bear in mind that you have to re-activate the O/S again.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:14 AM
  • Yes you must reinstall Windows 7 when you change the hardware out.
    Says who?

Stjepan, both Windows Vista and Windows 7 handle a motherboard transplant quite well.  They'll almost certainly churn away locating and installing suitable device drivers for your new hardware, with no ill-effects other than the install deactivating.  You'll almost certainly need to reactivate afterwards.

Some people will take the 'cautious' approach and advise you to clean install again anyway.  But I'd recommend you try it and see.  If you're not happy with the results you can always start over with a clean install later on.

Your Windows XP install won't be happy at it afterwards though.  most likely outcome for XP is that it'll refuse to even boot up!

If you need to reinstall XP again that'll render your Windows 7 install unbootable, because the XP install will have changed the boot loader.  To get back the capacity to boot to windows 7, after you've reinstalled XP, you'll need to boot from the Windows 7 install disk and perform a 'Startup Repair'.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 6:10 AM
  • We will need to re-activate Windows 7 and Windows XP after replace important hardware. However I cannot help confirm whether we will need to reinstall operation system or not. It depends on the exact devices we changed.

For example, we may not need to reinstall system if we upgrade Intel CPU to a newer one, but need to reinstall if we replaced with an AMD CPU.

So as Techwrighter mentioned, just have a test. If both systems stopped working, repair Windows 7 and get into Windows 7 to repair Windows XP. That is another issue.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:47 AM
  • Thank you for your help ;)

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:38 AM