none
Windows 7 64 Bit Unexpected Blue Screen Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

About a week ago 1/7/10, I began experiencing random Blue Screen shutdowns. I'm running Windows 7, 64 Bit. I've running this operating system for a couple of months with no problems. I did not recently install any new hardware. This simply began happening out of the blue. All hardware drivers are updated and all Windows patches have been applied. I have uploaded my dump files to skydrive (link is below).

http://cid-8d5939f803985c23.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Dump

You probably won't be able to see it, as I have it locked out for viewing right  now. If there is a moderator who can help me decipher the dump files, please let me know your email, and I'll make sure you can get to the file.

NOTE: I have a Linksys (Cisco) wireless adapter (WUSB600N ver. 2). However, I was unable to get this adapter to work with this operating system using the Linksys Windows 7 approved drivers. I had to use a driver from the Ralink web site. That driver has worked flawlessly, but I'm wondering if it is suddenly causing problems. I think my dump files should contain data to tell whether or not this driver is causing problems (or if not, which driver is).

I really, really appreciate any and all help I can get!

Thanks in advance!!

Joel

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:32 PM

Answers

• Joel - All of the dumps from January point at vsdatant.sys, which appears to be a driver installed by ZoneAlarm.  The dump from November doesn't point at a cause.

The crash here was caught by a tool called Driver Verifier.  Have you manually enabled that on any drivers?

If not, please do me a favor.

1) Start...run...verifier
    2) In the UI that appears, check "display existing settings" then hit next.
    3) On the window that appears, if any of the items in the "enabled" column say yes, please take a screenshot and put it up on your Skydrive folder.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, January 22, 2010 9:10 AM
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 9:29 PM
  • Hi Joel,

You can try system restore in the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE). You need press F8 while booting your machine, and select Repair Your Computer to start WinRE. Then you can choose system restore to roll back the system.

If you still can't run system restore, it's better to remove the ZoneAlarm completely, then try again. As the system error, it should be not caused by the vsdatant.sys.

As the Linksys (Cisco) wireless adapter driver, I noticed many user have the same problem, you can use a workaround.

Overall, to fix your issue, you can try the following suggestions to fix your issue.

1. Disconnect the Linksys adapter from your machine to test if the BSOD issue still occurs.
    2. Boot your machine in Clean Boot to narrow down if the issue is caused by the ZoneAlarm. You can refer to the KB929135
    3. Try system restore in the WinRE. 

Good luck! 

John
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:50 AM

All replies

• You need to upload those minidump files to the public folder of www.skydrive.com as your link doesn't work.
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:46 PM
  • Thanks for responding cdobbs!

Yes, I know nobody can get to the files. That's intentional. I'm not sure what those files have in them, and I'm concerned about making my system information completely public for anybody to look at.

That's why I asked for specific email addresses of any moderators of this forum, who may wish to help me.

I'm pretty sure if I had your email address I could make the files available to you.

Am I being too paranoid? Is there anything in those files that could be dangerous to have publicly available on the internet? Forgive me for being a n00b.

If you can assure me I have nothing to worry about by making them public, I'll do that.

One other thing. I just caused this computer to Blue Screen again, and it was caused by my trying to connect to it from another computer on our in-house network. That computer is running Windows XP, I believe. I simply tried to access public files on this computer from the other computer, and this computer Blue Screened. I'm thinking now that this might have something to do with my installing TeamViewer on this computer. It seems to have borked something up. It seems to me the problems on 1/72010 started shortly after I installed this program. But why would it be causing a problem when the program is not even running?

Perhaps the logs will be more clear.

Joel
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:12 AM
  • Hi Joel,

Since the minidump files doesn't contain any personal information, it just records the useful information that may help identify why your computer has stopped unexpectedly. Please feel free to upload your minidump files in your public folder in your Skydrive?

At the same time, you can try to remove your Linksys (Cisco) wireless adapter as a test. In addition, you can try system restore as the issue just began to occur recently.

Good luck!

John
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:39 AM
  • I tried typing up a similar post before but I got a BSOD before I could. I have had the same issues.

In the last hour I have had,

PAGE_FAULT_IN_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA
    PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
    BAD_POOL_HEADER
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Plus various other issues.

RAM is fine, Drivers are up to date.

Very annoying, I have been programming on MS since 3.11 and I have never had so many problems. Its hard to diagnose when the OS crashes so frequently. A few more days of this and I will be downloading XP from MSDN and reinstalling.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:58 AM
  • Thanks for responding John!

I've made my dump folder on skydrive public. You should be able to get to it now.

http://cid-8d5939f803985c23.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Dump

Thanks!

Joel
    Friday, January 15, 2010 10:32 AM
  • Joel - All of the dumps from January point at vsdatant.sys, which appears to be a driver installed by ZoneAlarm.  The dump from November doesn't point at a cause.

The crash here was caught by a tool called Driver Verifier.  Have you manually enabled that on any drivers?

If not, please do me a favor.

1) Start...run...verifier
    2) In the UI that appears, check "display existing settings" then hit next.
    3) On the window that appears, if any of the items in the "enabled" column say yes, please take a screenshot and put it up on your Skydrive folder.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 9:29 PM
  • Hi Joel,

After looking into the minidump files, all criticize the driver file vsdatant.sys. While I found this file is more related to the Cisco VPN client. Please let us know if you installed any other firewall on your machine, since more vsdataant.sys BSOD issue are caused by the confilicts between ZoneAlarm and firewall. To fix your issue, I suggest you to try the following steps. 

1. Remove the Cisco VPN client, and the Firewall installed on your computer. --make sure the vsdatant.sys and vsruledb.dll files are removed from your machine.  Now you computer should be works normally.
    2. Reinstall the Cisco VPN client, and test if you can connect the VPN, and if you still get the BSOD issue. 
    3. Reinstall your Firewall.

I hope this can help you.

John
    Monday, January 18, 2010 3:02 AM
  • Hi guys...thanks for responding.

Mark:
    I ran Verifier, but none of the items say "yes" under the "enabled" column. They all say "no".

John:
    As near as I can tell, I don't have any VPN client installed on my machine. In fact, I don't think I have any Cisco software on my machine at all. I don't use VPN.

My wireless USB adapter is a Linksys (Cisco) adapter, but I'm using a Ralink driver for it as the Linksys Win 7 "approved" driver would not work at all.

I do run ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite. We do not have any other firewall software running on our network, and I don't run the Windows firewall.

I did install TeamViewer software on this computer starting around the time I began having problems. I have since uninstalled that software, however, and I'm still having the problems. Could the TeamViewer software be acting as a VPN?

I also can now verify, that accessing this computer from any other computer on our in-house network causes the BSOD's. It doesn't happen 100% of the time, but it is related.

With all that said, I haven't done your 3 steps yet, as I don't have any VPN software to uninstall (as far as I can tell). Should I just uninstall / reinstall my ZoneAlarm software? Do you think the problem could be the Ralink wireless adapter driver I'm using? It was working fine for about 3 months prior to January though.

Lastly,

Please advise.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 6:48 AM
  • First, since your issue just began to happen about two weeks ago, you can try system restore to restore your computer before this issue began to happen.

If you don't have the restore point, because the criminal file is vsdatant.sys, it's better to rename the C:\Windows\System32\vsdatant.sys. In my opinion, it's better to remove your old Linksys (Cisco) wireless adapter driver, and reinstall the driver for your win7 referring to this website.

http://forums.linksysbycisco.com/linksys/board/message?comm_cc=US&comm_lang=en&board.id=Wireless_Adapters&message.id=22247#M22247

After that, please test your issue again. In addition, you can test your issue in Clean boot mode to determine if it is caused by third party programs.

Good luck!
    John
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:52 AM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for the quick response!

I tried using System Restore, but at the end of the restoration process I get an error saying it cannot complete because some file is prohibiting it. The error message said to shut down any firewall software and try again. So, I shut down ZoneAlarm, and went through the process again, and got the exact same error. So, apparently I can't use System Restore to fix this problem.

Perhaps it would work if I completely uninstalled ZoneAlarm and then used restore? Could the same file (vsdatant.sys) be causing this error as well?

As for using the driver from the Linksys web site...I tried that when I first installed the adapter. After many hours of unsuccessful installs I gave up. I searched on the forums on the Linksys site, and other people were having the same problems I was, and suggested using the Ralink driver I'm currently using. In fact, if you go to your link (in your post above) and go to the bottom of the page, a user suggests using the Ralink driver. The problems those users are describing are exactly the problem I have when I use the Linksys drivers.

Also, you'll notice on the Linksys support web site they don't offer a Windows 7 driver version (only XP, and Vista). Link below.

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support/WUSB600N/download

When I bought this device, the product page on the Linksys web site had a Win7 approved Logo right beside the adapter. And they also had win 7 specific drivers (actually they were Vista drivers, but they were saying they were win 7 drivers). In any case, these drivers never worked. They have since removed the win 7 approved logo, and the drivers.

The Linksys web site does not have win 7 approved drivers...atleast none that I can find for my WUSB600N v2.0 adapter.

Maybe I'll try renaming the vsdatant.sys file as you suggest and see if the problem goes away.

Thanks for your help.

Joel

__________________________________________ Joel
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 11:16 PM
  • Hi Joel,

You can try system restore in the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE). You need press F8 while booting your machine, and select Repair Your Computer to start WinRE. Then you can choose system restore to roll back the system.

If you still can't run system restore, it's better to remove the ZoneAlarm completely, then try again. As the system error, it should be not caused by the vsdatant.sys.

As the Linksys (Cisco) wireless adapter driver, I noticed many user have the same problem, you can use a workaround.

Overall, to fix your issue, you can try the following suggestions to fix your issue.

1. Disconnect the Linksys adapter from your machine to test if the BSOD issue still occurs.
    2. Boot your machine in Clean Boot to narrow down if the issue is caused by the ZoneAlarm. You can refer to the KB929135
    3. Try system restore in the WinRE. 

Good luck! 

John
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:50 AM
  • Hi John,

OK...

1) Tried system restore from WinRE, but the restore points did not go back far enough to be useful.
    2) Uninstalled ZoneAlarm, and the problem went away.
    3) Re-installed ZoneAlarm from scratch, and problem has not returned...yet.

I have a theory based on some research I did on vsdatant.sys file.

Back in 2006 - 2007 many people were having problems between Cisco VPN application and ZoneAlarm. These problems all dealt with the same vsdatant.sys file. My problems only began after I installed the TeamViewer application. I already had ZoneAlarm up and running, but the same day I installed TeamViewer my problem started happening. TeamViewer is a remote desktop application, and I'm guessing it operates similarly to how Cisco's old VPN client used to operate. My theory is the problem that was occurring in 2006 - 2007 between ZoneAlarm and Cisco's VPN client, is the same (or similar) problem which is now occurring between ZoneAlarm and TeamViewer. Both instances caused a problem with the vsdatant.sys file and involved some form of VPN utility in combination with ZoneAlarm.

This is purely conjecture, but it's the best theory I have at this time.

Joel
    Joel
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 4:48 AM
  • Hi Joel,

I am glad to hear your issue disappeared after reinstalling the ZoneAlarm, it's better to keep monitor your issue several hours. According to your test, we just can conclude some  ZoneAlarm files should be corrupted.

If your issue reoccur again, please let us know.

John
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 10:14 AM
  • Unfortunately, I spoke too soon. I was out of town for 2 days, and when I came back, my machine had blue-screened again.

New Dump file is located at: http://cid-8d5939f803985c23.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Dump/012710-15007-01%20Dump%20File.zip

If somebody could take a look at the dump file and let me know if vsdatant.sys is still causing me problems, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!!

Joel
    Friday, January 29, 2010 7:06 AM
  • If somebody could take a look at the dump file and let me know if vsdatant.sys is still causing me problems, I would appreciate it.
    Yes, the same file is mentioned in that crash.

Monday, February 1, 2010 12:18 AM
  • Hi Joel,

The dump file still point at vsdatant.sys, which appears to be a driver installed by ZoneAlarm. In my opinion, it's better to remove it completely. You can try the Zonealarm Removal Tool.

Good luck!

John
    Monday, February 1, 2010 2:59 AM
  • Gooday

I recently had a similar problem with a new machine.

os w7 64 bit.

i7 950 cpu and geforce 480 gts card plus 12 gb ram

I had only used it 3 times and bang , regular blue screens.

I had little software installed , but I did have zone alarm free.

Here is the dump file

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        BlueScreen

OS Version:                                          6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID:                                             3081

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode:                                               c4

BCP1:                                                    0000000000000091

BCP2:                                                    0000000000000002

BCP3:                                                    FFFFF80002FFAC40

BCP4:                                                    0000000000000000

OS Version:                                          6_1_7600

Service Pack:                                       0_0

Product:                                               768_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\102310-23322-01.dmp

C:\Users\Peter and Dianne\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-38360-0.sysdata.xml

Any advice would be graciously received.

Cheers

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 12:46 AM
  • Bug Check 0xD4: SYSTEM_SCAN_AT_RAISED_IRQL_CAUGHT_IMPROPER_DRIVER_UNLOAD

This indicates that a driver did not cancel pending operations before unloading.

upload the file C:\Windows\Minidump\102310-23322-01.dmp please.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 11:03 AM
  • Wednesday, October 27, 2010 7:21 PM
  • Hi guys,

I had the same problem for a week.  I am on win7 64bit Home premium.

I just bought this ACER X1900 syste. It was ok and smooth not having problem till 3 weeks later.

The computer keep shut down suddenly and display those message "blue screen" but did not ofer any solution.

Desperate, I try to search for people posting similar problem online.

Especially on thsi error using win7 home premiuim, 64 bit.

It was suggested that I update drivers etc etc.

I did all and un-install some of the program like funshion and MP3 players, still the computer shut down.

Then I noticed that,  whenever I use Utorrent to download  some huge file, it always happen - it shut down and restarty and stating blue screen error.

I check online, i found some one mentioned when they uses utorrent  with win7 home premiuim, the system running win7 would shut down again and again.

That person was quite sure Utorrent running under win7 home premiuim 64bit likely is the culprit that cause the misery.

I have no other choice but to try one more time, this time I uninstall the Utorrent program , after that it seems to have solved.

NO more abrupt suddent shutting down of windows and restart.

So for those whom are using Utorrent, try uninstall it and monitor if the "shut down blue screen problem is resolve on your side. :)

Hope this helps someone overcome some misery out there from abrupt frequent shut down of new PC/laptop and trying to find what went wrong.

Some may having similar problem as mine may have their problem resolve after doing  what I did. For others whom are not using Utorrent program yet facing shut down, you may want to  try to uninstall those software  that have similar function or nature  of utorrent, it might help.

I understand that it can be very very frustrating, owning a new PC, running the latest win7 and facing such  abrupt shut down blue screen error problem.

Hope you guys  could overcome the matter soonest. :)

Cheers, Good luck and best regards.

Friday, June 3, 2011 7:03 AM
  • Hi guys,

I had the same problem for a week.  I am on win7 64bit Home premium.

I just bought this ACER X1900 syste. It was ok and smooth not having problem till 3 weeks later.

The computer keep shut down suddenly and display those message "blue screen" but did not ofer any solution.

Desperate, I try to search for people posting similar problem online.

Especially on thsi error using win7 home premiuim, 64 bit.

It was suggested that I update drivers etc etc.

I did all and un-install some of the program like funshion and MP3 players, still the computer shut down.

Then I noticed that,  whenever I use Utorrent to download  some huge file, it always happen - it shut down and restarty and stating blue screen error.

I check online, i found some one mentioned when they uses utorrent  with win7 home premiuim, the system running win7 would shut down again and again.

That person was quite sure Utorrent running under win7 home premiuim 64bit likely is the culprit that cause the misery.

I have no other choice but to try one more time, this time I uninstall the Utorrent program , after that it seems to have solved.

NO more abrupt suddent shutting down of windows and restart.

So for those whom are using Utorrent, try uninstall it and monitor if the "shut down blue screen problem is resolve on your side. :)

Hope this helps someone overcome some misery out there from abrupt frequent shut down of new PC/laptop and trying to find what went wrong.

Some may having similar problem as mine may have their problem resolve after doing  what I did. For others whom are not using Utorrent program yet facing shut down, you may want to  try to uninstall those software  that have similar function or nature  of utorrent, it might help.

I understand that it can be very very frustrating, owning a new PC, running the latest win7 and facing such  abrupt shut down blue screen error problem.

Hope you guys  could overcome the matter soonest. :)

Cheers, Good luck and best regards.

This Netio/uTorrent problem is frequently triggered by 3rd party security programs 'controlling' connections. An example of this from a user called Herschel here.
    Friday, June 3, 2011 2:02 PM
  • I've had the same Blue Screen error on my HP Touchsmart notebook since September 2010.

I sent the system for repairs last month. It came back from repairs indicating that they replaced the MEMORY RAM.

However the Blue Screen error continues till date!

Is this:

Hardware problem to be fixed by HP?

OR

Software problem to be fixed by Microsoft?

Can someone at Microsoft or HP suggest a solution which can fix this without making people do technical tasks viz. removing memory chips etc.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 1:59 AM
  • Hi Tech heads,

I`ve been getting random Blue screen Error's ,

i have a fair bit of knowlage but i cant figure out this current blue screen that i have been getting, i custom built many pc's and havnt had a problem with them except this one,

i am going to upload the dump file , any help would be appreciated

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=9586f33c9d8a9ee2&sc=documents&uc=1&id=9586F33C9D8A9EE2%21394#

Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:20 AM
  • DeathDarkSoal:

Your minidump does not reveal much.

-Send more minidumps

-Test you memory thoroughly (Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools)

-Remove third party drivers

-Run driver verifier

Thursday, July 21, 2011 6:46 PM
  • i`ll send more mini-dumps for you ,

i`ll do the memory test ,

Third party drivers? << what are they?

and i`ll do the Driver verifler

i`ll send the results when done  and thank you for your fast reply

Monday, July 25, 2011 3:28 AM
  • Hi jjcooll

I had 40 blue screens over the last 2-3 months and I have tried everything but I think that I have finally cracked it...for me anyway. I strongly suggest you look at your anti virus software, I had Kaspersky 2010 and I deleted it a few days ago and went with Microsoft Security Essentials.

I never had any viruses with Kaspersky but I think it slowed Windows down to the point of it tripping up ( excuse the use of non technical terms). I have also found since removing Kaspersky that alot of applications are running smoother and quicker.

For the 40 or so times my pc had BSOD I pointed the finger at Windows & and service pack 1 but so far I am happy with the removal of my antivirus software even though it cost me quite a lot as I bought a 2 year licence.

Try this before you wipe your hard drive and reload everything.

It has worked for me so far.

Regards

Paul

Thursday, December 1, 2011 7:48 PM
  • I've recently got this error (twice now) and I have done steps you have written and none of the column say 'yes' only 'no'. do you know what the problem is?
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 11:10 AM
  • Hey everyone.  Looks like this is common on Windows 7.  I have been trying to figure this out for 3 months now, but my current dump files go back to 2-22-13.  Could anyone review them for me so that I can troubleshoot this further please?

The link to my dump files on my sky drive is below, please take your time and let me know.

Dan's Dump File

Thanks,

Dan

Friday, March 8, 2013 12:53 AM
  • Hi Dan,

Have you resolved the above mention problem.If you find out the solution for the above problem plz let us know how you had resolved.

I am also getting same error like blue screen.

even i had open the dmp files but i didnot understand and how we can understand the dmp files?

My Dump uploaded in sky drive.If once can help me out from this problem plzz.

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=4DB4FBDD48E97F14&id=4DB4FBDD48E97F14%21105

Regards

Harish

• Edited by Harish Munaga Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:38 PM dump files uploaded
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:32 PM