none
CPU running at 100% all the time

Question

• My laptop fan is constantly running at full speed and is really hot.  The noise is really irritating so i've made a bigger space under the laptop by sitting it on a few lego bricks (best i could find to hand) as the heat that comes out is unreal.  I've checked using CPUZ and the cpu is always at 100% with the temperature typically at 95 degrees C, which can't be good for it.

I have a Sony Vaio FZ11Z which has a core2 duo t7300 (merom).

Looking at Windows Task Manager 'explorer.exe' is never less than 48% and often is running at or very near 100%. 

I know there have been several posts about this, but the ones i've read have quoted other processes and system registries that i don't think apply on my system.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

(running Vista Home Premium 32bit with 2gb of ram)

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 7:10 PM

All replies

• I would say, go for application 'process explorer' (procexp.exe you can find it from windows sysinternals http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx ) and check explorer.exe which takes the most of CPU resources. At the same time, since the reasons causing CPU reaching 100% all the time is various, no hilarious, I would rather reinstall operaing system, which I found actually take the least of the time.

btw, just came across my mind, have you scan the system against viruses and malwares?

Friday, April 09, 2010 1:05 PM
  • thanks for the reply.

Yes, i had checked for virus and none found.

Monday, April 12, 2010 2:08 PM
  • hi, have you tried to check explorer.exe using process explorer? found anything suspicious?
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 2:29 PM