none
Since 1803 update users can no longer 'Forget' known Wireless SSIDs RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have begun moving test users onto Windows 10 1803 via inplace upgrade and have noticed that any Wireless SSIDs added post the upgrade can not be forgotten by the user. The user will go into Network & Internet Settings and then Manage Known Networks, find an SSID and click 'Forget' the button then turns grey. This does not appear to be a problem for our 1607 users.

Upon running 'Netsh wlan delete profile name=*' gives them the error "You do not have sufficient privileges or the profile "SSID NAME HERE" on interface "Wi-Fi" is a group policy profile". This message appears next to each SSID profile listed. We have one Wireless connection that is pushed to the users as a preferred network via GPO. When they are working away from one of our sites they are free to connect to other WiFi. However if I run this action as Administrator it clears the profles.

We are using the same GPOs that we were running for our 1607 users who don't experience the problem.

I tested a vanilla build of Windows 10 1803 on an off network/off the shelf laptop and standard users could forget SSIDs without issue.

So what I am after is finding out if there is something new in user permissions that can be set to allow/disallow forgetting SSIDs for users? if so where can I find this setting? or, could this be caused by GPO? if so, whereabouts in GPO would I find this setting? would it be a user or computer setting? (Apologies I am still finding my feet with GPO! so bit of a newbie), as I said earlier, we have one preferred network pushed by GPO that users cannot remove but this has never prevented them from deleting other profiles in the past.

Many thanks for your help!

Jay

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 8:49 AM

All replies

• could this be caused by GPO? if so, whereabouts in GPO would I find this setting? 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/gpresult 

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, July 19, 2018 2:43 AM
  • I see this exact issue on 1709.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2019 3:24 PM
  • Nobody eh?

We define 1 corporate SSID via GPO and when doing so users cannot forget other networks. I don't know when this started but it was not always this way.

Details are exactly the same as the OP, except we are on 1709.

nobody else see's this behavior?

Thursday, January 24, 2019 7:14 PM
  • We are seeing it with 1709 too.  
    Thursday, January 24, 2019 7:30 PM
  • Ok I opened a support case with M$ and here is what I have so far.

Still doing more testing, will report back.

Removed my posts content as it was incorrect. Made a new post below with correct info.

• Edited by AUMonroe Friday, February 1, 2019 7:21 PM incorrect info
    Friday, January 25, 2019 4:55 PM
  • Update:

My previous post about it having to do with intel proset software (or lack thereof) was incorrect.

Turns out to be related to the GPO that pushes our Corporate Wireless network. Once that GPO gets applied users can no longer delete networks they have added, even after the GPO is removed. There is no option in GPO that I can find to allow or prevent this behavior.

Waiting to hear back from M$ support.

Friday, February 1, 2019 7:20 PM
  • We are facing this issue with 1809 also.
    Thought potentially Intel PROset related but unsure at this stage.
    We do push 1 wireless profile via GPO to all devices.
    Wednesday, February 6, 2019 2:45 AM
  • I have tested and confirmed that pushing a wireless profile causes the users to be unable to forget non-pushed profiles. I pre-created a computer object in AD, put a deny for that computer object on my wireless profile GPO, and deployed a new image. If the machine never gets the wireless profile GPO, users can forget networks. But once that wireless GPO gets applied to the machine users are no longer able to forget networks, even after the GPO was removed. 

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 3:09 AM
  • Hi All,

Is there a solution to this issue, I just noticed that I am having the same problem on Win10 1803.

Been running corporate network profile and noticed that I cannot remove networks unless I do it from elevated command prompt using "netsh wlan delete profile=....."

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 9:52 AM
  • Hi All,

Is there a solution to this issue, I just noticed that I am having the same problem on Win10 1803.

Been running corporate network profile and noticed that I cannot remove networks unless I do it from elevated command prompt using "netsh wlan delete profile=....."

No not yet. still trying to figure it out. Have a case open with M$ will report back if we figure it out.

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 2:39 PM
  • Update: MS has published a patch that allegedly address this issue, but get this.. it's only for 1803, not 1809 or 1709.

KB4487029

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4487029/windows-10-update-kb4487029

I am being forced to provide "substantial business justification" on why it is needed for 1709, instead of just upgrading the entire fleet to 1803. I know we have to now conform to MS new aggressive OS lifecycle, but this OS is still in it's lifecycle and "supported" (not really).

This is absurd, AND the patch issued doesn't even work on 1809. 

So now we have users who can connect to potentially malicious networks but can't forget them... wonderful M$.

What a mess M$ has made of Windows 10 releases, stop trying to be Apple and be Microsoft again. Please.

• Edited by AUMonroe Thursday, February 28, 2019 10:04 PM
    Thursday, February 28, 2019 10:02 PM