none
Hotfix posted for Nvidia/x64 USB transfer issues RRS feed

All replies

• Hi Mark,

Thanks for all your patience and regular updates with this issue they are appreciated.  I can confirm that (for my system anyway) the hotfix worked perfectly, installed without issue (although there were a few moments where the computer was slow on restart and boot when it slowed and looked like it would crash) and I'm now able to transfer files to/from my backup external hdd and my iphone, neither of which I was able to before.

I did notice that when I tried to download the hotfix at first it registered my IE8 as 32bit and tried to offer the 32 bit hotfix, but I selected show all fixes and was able to select the 64bit hotfix for download.

Once again, top job Mark you really went out of your way to help us all out
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:36 PM
  • I was SO pleased to read this, and immediately downloaded the hotfix. The x64 version that is.
    After unpacking I found hotfix.txt and Windows6.1-KB976972-x64.msu .
    The textfile gave the following instructions:

Installation Instructions
    =========================
    1. If this hotfix was delivered with hfx.exe then it can be installed by running
    hfx.exe from the appropriate platform directory.

2. Install and run

I had no hfx.exe so I double-clicked the msu file. After a moment it told me "The update is not applicable to your computer."

ARGH!

And yet...

*You have a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2. CHECK: Windows 7 Ultimate.
    *The computer has an NVIDIA USB Enhanced Host Controller Interface (EHCI) chipset. CHECK: GForce 7100
    *The computer has at least 4GB of RAM. CHECK: 4GB

Waittaminute... could it be because I am still running 7100?

Hope you have an idea what could be up!

Thanks for all the hard work so far!

Jeff

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:05 PM
  • Haven't tried the Hotfix yet, but am encouraged by the volume of people who have already said that it works.

I would just like to thank Mark for his continued input through the lifetime of the old thread.
    It's nice to see someone taking ownership of a problem such as this, and making the customers feel that they are being listened to.
    I know you're probably just doing your job, but it's refreshing all the same.

Thank you.  :)
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:28 PM
  • I double-clicked the msu file. After a moment it told me "The update is not applicable to your computer."

Hi Jeff,

Yes, that's the problem.  This fix is only for the RTM build.  For the RC build, you'll have to continue to use the temporary workaround discussed in the other thread. 

Sorry,
    Mark
    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:16 PM
  • Thanks, Mark, (and Microsoft) for the quick response and hotfix.  I tried it and it does indeed work on MY system.

Reiterating a word of warning posted on the original threat, when I downloaded the hotfix with Firefox (my default), I got a hotfuix for I386, with the resultant error message  This does not apply to your machine".

Subsequently did the d/l with OE 64-bit and got the right hotfix.

Dave
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:39 PM
  • Hi Mark, please could you shed some light on the same file copy problem on a 64-bit Windows 7 platform, but it's not using Nvidia nForce chipset?

For your info,

The hardware is Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, Asus motherboard with Intel P965 chipset.

The OS is 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate English using Chinese PRC system locale (for non-unicode).

Problem is that i can't copy some Chinese character file names saved in a folder (using Chinese character folder name as well) to USB hard disk. The copy just freeze the Windows and there is no way I can recover the situation except to power off the machine. However, I have no problem of copying other Chinese characters file names, just few of them (and I pretty sure the files are in good condition).

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:51 PM
  • So far so good.  I have been having USB problems ever since i installed Win7 Professional x64.  I could not backup to any external drives, and whenever I tried it seemed all of my USB devices failed.  now that I have installed this hotfix, everything is working properly.  I have Nvidia USB controllers and 8 gigs of RAM.  I used the workaround while i waited for this fix, and i was bale to backup but i still had issues every now and again.  I will keep testing and post again if I run into any issues.  Thanks to everyone who made this fix possible.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:21 AM
  • Hi Mark, please could you shed some light on the same file copy problem on a 64-bit Windows 7 platform, but it's not using Nvidia nForce chipset?  

Your problem doesn't sound related to the one in the thread (similar symptoms, probably not the same root cause).  Can you please start a new thread for your problem and describe what you're seeing in detail?

Thanks,
    Mark
    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:34 AM
  • Hi Mark,

You seem to be someone who knows what he's talking about around here.  Here's my issue:

Hi,

Your post has nothing at all to do with the topic being discussed, so I'm going to ask a moderator to remove it.

I'll follow up in your other thread - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/fe26a639-6048-4973-9f41-126e5de66d12

Thanks,
    Mark
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:35 AM
  • I have the same problem and I'm not using Nvidia. My Motherboard is an MSI 785GM-E65 (Great Mobo By the way) with all AMD chipsets (785g). The Southbridge is the SB710. I have Windows Ultimate 32 bits installed and the same problem when trying to copy high definition video to a Kingston Data Traveler USB flash (DTI/8GB) drive (that works well under windows XP) I wanted to report this because people is only linking this problem to Nvidia and Windows 7 64, but it is happening with AMD chipsets and Windows 7 32 also. Please address this issue!!.

Your issue doesn't sound related to the one being discussed here.  Please start a new thread and describe the problem in detail.

Thanks,
    Mark

Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:38 AM
  • Haven't tried the Hotfix yet, but am encouraged by the volume of people who have already said that it works.

I would just like to thank Mark for his continued input through the lifetime of the old thread.
    It's nice to see someone taking ownership of a problem such as this, and making the customers feel that they are being listened to.
    I know you're probably just doing your job, but it's refreshing all the same.

Thank you.  :)

Thanks for the kudos. :)
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:41 AM
  • Hello,

Installed the hotfix and will post what happens, however:

I've kept reading about this problem and all the symptoms are the ones I have, HOWEVER I only have 3 gigs of memory... this leaves me wondering...
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:09 AM
  • Can you tell me if this hotfix also solves the Ipod sync problem in Windows 7 ? This is happening to me also. After installing Windows 7 64b, the sync
    > freezes after a couple of songs transfers (normally, errror code 0xE8000065). Tried everything imaginable: Itunes reinstall, execute
    > with compability to VIsta, energy safe mode off to USB ports/hubs, cable change, restore Ipod. I have a Acer Aspire M3641, lastest ITunes
    > version, latest software on Ipod. Now my external drive also freezes in the middle of a backup even if I'm not using a usb hub. Please
    > Microsoft, Apple, Intel, whoever, WAKE UP !!!  This is now a major problem. Please see  http://tr.im/EKYy and http://bit.ly/3GceUw and
    > many more articles and claims.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:34 AM
  • Hi, Mark,
    As you surmised, the hotfix had no effect on my Intel chipset motherboard. I've opened another topic (Random Lockups, Intel Chipset). If you have time could you please give it a quick look and let me know what you think? Thanks.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:00 PM
  • Hi, 

I downloaded and installed the hotfix, and although it fixed the usb issue, my computer is still randomly locking up as it did before the hotfix. 
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:10 PM
  • Mark,

That was the push I needed to upgrade. The RTM DVD has been taunting me for a few weeks now; only the thought of backing up everything and reinstalling every program has held me back.

I did a full install, applied the hotfix, and could immediately transfer 60 gig from my external HD. A 14 GB iPhone synchronization was the icing on the cake.

Thank you for all your hard work, patience and helpfulness.

All the best,

Jeff
    Friday, November 13, 2009 11:17 AM
  • I downloaded and installed the hotfix, and although it fixed the usb issue, my computer is still randomly locking up as it did before the hotfix. 

Please start a new thread to discuss that problem.  Make sure to post as many details as possible about what's in your systems.  People with similar hardware or applications may have encountered the same issue.
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 3:43 AM
  • Seems that my problems are gone, since I installed the hotfix I've had no disconnections of my flash drive or USB mouse.

However -and I'll say it again-, I only have 3GB of mem, not 4...
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 7:13 AM
  • Seems that my problems are gone, since I installed the hotfix I've had no disconnections of my flash drive or USB mouse.

However -and I'll say it again-, I only have 3GB of mem, not 4...

What's the make/model of your PC?

Can you please run msinfo32, save the output to a folder, then create a public folder on http://skydrive.live.com and post the link here?

Thanks,
    Mark
    • Edited by Mark M[MSFT] Saturday, November 14, 2009 7:42 AM requested msinfo32 file
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 7:41 AM
  • Absolutely. It's a Phenom-based PC on a M3N78-VM Asus mobo (http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=ovqEgLFRjnSClhSV&templete=2) . Public folder here: http://cid-c787a673f0bfb5c3.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Public 
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 7:53 AM
  • Thanks for the quick response.  I'll pass this along to someone for further investigation.
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 8:02 AM
  • It worked ! Thanks for the help...
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 8:04 AM
  • My pleasure. I should also add that I had the same problems with an Asrock mobo on a secondary system (don't remember the model, but seeing as it is an Asrock board as well it may be of interest)... 3GB there, too!
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 8:04 AM
  • My pleasure. I should also add that I had the same problems with an Asrock mobo on a secondary system (don't remember the model, but seeing as it is an Asrock board as well it may be of interest)... 3GB there, too!
    Did you confirm that the fix worked there too?  Was it using an Nvidia chipset and a 64-bit OS?

Saturday, November 14, 2009 8:16 AM
  • Unfortunately the secondary system is out of town, I really don't remember about the chipset; but it did have 64-bit Win7 installed.
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 8:20 AM
  • I have a Gigabyte GA-M56S-S3 mobo, with an Nvidia chipset and 4 gb ram. Its a great mobo, its been totally rock solid until this glitch. I dual boot win 7 and xp. My xp installation is fine - I've never had any problems. But I've had a problem with USB and Windows 7 premium 64 bit. If I tried to copy files to an external usb drive or flash drive it wouldn't work nor could I format an external usb drive. I've tried the hotfix and it does now seem to work ok. Many thanks for sorting this out.
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 7:24 PM
  • I'm also having this issue sinc I upgraded to windows 7 (vista x64 was working fine)
    Unfortunately the hotfix download is not available ! What's going on ?
    Where else can I download this hotfix?

Thanks.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 12:55 PM
  • I'm also having this issue sinc I upgraded to windows 7 (vista x64 was working fine)
    Unfortunately the hotfix download is not available ! What's going on ?
    Where else can I download this hotfix?

Thanks.

I guess that there is a problem with either the MS website, or the hotfix itself. I wait a few hours and try again.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 1:18 PM
  • still not working. that is really bad luck.
    Why is this hotfix not included in windows update, would be much easier than having to search for it and when you finally find the solution.. it's not available for download.
    Very frustrated start with Windows 7...
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 5:08 PM
  • The system is still down.  Dow we know when we will be able to download the hotfix yet?
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 8:39 PM
  • Dow we know when we will be able to download the hotfix yet?

No, sorry, I don't have any ETA on that. 
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 8:54 PM
  • Not sure if this is the proper place for this...I Installed windows 7 home premium x64 a few days ago, has been working fine until today. When I try to transfer any file to my 4 gig usb flash drive it tells me the device cannot be found that it no longer exists in computer. But, it shows up as a lettered drive under computer in the start menu.  When I check properites it shows the drive to be full, but there is nothing on it.  I tried to do a check disk and it says it cannot be performed because windows cannot access the drive.  I have a notebook with windows 7 32bit installed and the drive works perfectly on there shows it to have all free space, disk check bore no errors even reformatted it and it still won't work on the 64bit machine now and it was working fine before today.

The 64 bit install is on an ASUS M3N78 Pro Motherboard, Nvidia GeForce 8300 chipset with an AMD quadcore 9500 with 8gigs of RAM.

Note:  My Blackberry with a 4 gig micro SD connects fine and can transfer music, files etc...All other USB devices still work fine, printer, wireless keyboard and mouse.  However, I am unable to get it to recognize any ipod on either machine.

Thank you for your consideration....
    Monday, November 16, 2009 6:08 AM
  • Hello,

I installed Windows 7 home premium 64 on Acer x1700.
    There is a Nforce 630i/7100 mobo.
    Dual core e5300
    4 GB ram

All works very fine except the USB copy transfer.
    The problem:

When copy large files (8 ~12 GB Mkv files ) to my Tvix 4100Sh Media Drive or WD HD drive the operation stops or hangs.

where are the hotfix download link? i cant fin it....
    Its possible download in other mirror? or someone could me sent to my mail?

Thanks in advance

Monday, November 16, 2009 9:32 AM

Is there a problem with the hotfix itself, or with the availibility?

Perhabs could somebody who downloaded the fix, post it on a file sharing host like Rapidshare (ofcourse when that is legal).
    Monday, November 16, 2009 11:28 AM

Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center **

Is there a problem with the hotfix itself, or with the availibility?

Perhabs could somebody who downloaded the fix, post it on a file sharing host like Rapidshare (ofcourse when that is legal).

+1

Monday, November 16, 2009 12:02 PM
  • Hello,

I installed Windows 7 home premium 64 on Acer x1700.
    There is a Nforce 630i/7100 mobo.
    Dual core e5300
    4 GB ram
    Same config, I also need this hotfix.
    There is a workaround on this page, I'll use it to finish my machine install
    http://windows7tipsonline.com/USB_Problem.htm

Remi
    Monday, November 16, 2009 12:56 PM
  • Hello again,

Anyone test with lastest nforce drivers (15.49whql) for Win7_64x ?

Whats happen with the hotfix? All around  looks very suspicious...(may be seconday effects on hotfix?)

Thanks

Monday, November 16, 2009 1:59 PM
  • Hello again,

Anyone test with lastest nforce drivers (15.49whql) for Win7_64x ?

Whats happen with the hotfix? All around  looks very suspicious...(may be seconday effects on hotfix?)

Thanks

Works for me...
    Monday, November 16, 2009 2:11 PM
  • Leconis,

Thanks for the link. I downloaded this late Thursday, but I got the 32-bit version by mistake (I don't know whose - their's or mine). When I went back on Saturday to try again, the link was already down.

You're the best, dude!
    Monday, November 16, 2009 3:19 PM
  • Is there a problem with the hotfix itself, or with the availibility?

The problem is affecting other articles besides this one.  As far as I know, this is just a problem with the availability and NOT a problem with the hotfix.

I'll post an update if I hear more.  As far as sharing on another site, no, please don't do that. 
    Monday, November 16, 2009 4:50 PM
  • I talked to Microsoft technical services, and they e-mailed me a direct link to the hotfix.  I don't know if I am allowed to post is here but since their servers are not reacheble, I will try.
    Hope this helps,
    http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%207/WindowsServer%202008%20R2/sp1/fix296521/76000/free/398067_intl_x64_zip.exe

Password:
    -2*#-pH-6

Good Luck,

Thank you very very very very much!
    I don't understand why it's taking them so long to sort this out...
    Monday, November 16, 2009 6:14 PM
  • I talked to Microsoft technical services, and they e-mailed me a direct link to the hotfix.  I don't know if I am allowed to post is here but since their servers are not reacheble, I will try.
    Hope this helps,
    http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%207/WindowsServer%202008%20R2/sp1/fix296521/76000/free/398067_intl_x64_zip.exe

Password:
    -2*#-pH-6

Good Luck,

Thank you very very very very much!
    I don't understand why it's taking them so long to sort this out...

Hope I caught this in time...I posted a moment ago that the hotfix in leconis's post did not work for me.  It actually did work!  When I looked for my flash drive in computer it wasn't there at all, like it was before.  I went to disk management and it was showing up there, but had no drive letter, so I reassigned the drive letter it had before and viola!!!  it's being seen throughout and I'm now able to transfer files to and from the usb flash drive...Thanks to Mark and everyone for their hard work, and thank you Leconis for sharing the link!!!

Now if I could just clear up this ipod/windows7 issue...I'd be in business....:)

Thanks again!!!!!
    Monday, November 16, 2009 6:27 PM
  • This hotfix fixed my problem.

I reiterate my question: Why is not included in windows update? Sorry, but for most people the access to this hotfix is not evident...and getting it through windows update is a necessity.

I lost 3 days not having access to crucial data, searching, updating, testing this and that until I found out about this hotfix, to find out it's available for download. What a shame.
    (I really wanted to believe MS and windows had improved and learned...)

Monday, November 16, 2009 6:44 PM
    Hope this helps,

Password:
    -2*#-pH-6

Good Luck,

Thanks!!!! Works Perfect for me !!!
    more than 20Gb copied to my external drives without problem!!

Monday, November 16, 2009 7:28 PM
  • Same config, I also need this hotfix.
    There is a workaround on this page, I'll use it to finish my machine install

The easier thing to do is unplug devices like net adapters, printers or storage during install. 
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:35 AM
  • I reiterate my question: Why is not included in windows update? Sorry, but for most people the access to this hotfix is not evident...and getting it through windows update is a necessity.

I lost 3 days not having access to crucial data, searching, updating, testing this and that until I found out about this hotfix, to find out it's available for download. What a shame.
    (I really wanted to believe MS and windows had improved and learned...)

Thank you for the feedback.  I'm sorry your initial Win7 experience was so awful. :(

Many other things need to happen on our end before a fix can be put on Windows Update.  We're still working on it.  No ETA on when that work will be complete.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:44 AM
  • Wondering if the ipod touch connectivity issues with the usb is related.  Probly stepping outside the thread here, but the other thread dedicated to that issue is pretty much flat.  Need Mark over there...hahaha

Any thoughts on that one Mark?  It seems to be, for the most part, machines with the Nvidia chipsets like myself as well.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:57 AM
  • kadohadacho - Please start a new thread for your issue.

For those waiting for the hotfix site to come back online again, it's back.  I'm going to ask the mods to delete the direct links to the hotfix from the posts above.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:11 AM
  • Thanks for all of your hard work Mark.  After a few days of head scratching I found your discussion regarding this issue.  I instgalled the HotFix last night and am now able to write large data files to my external USB HDD.  I still have a few applications to continue installing after my Windows 7 install, but all in all I like the look and feel.

Quick question (of the subject); Why is it that it is Windows 7, but internal versioning is 6.1.7600.xxxx?  I thought that was just during BETA and that it was going to change to 7.x after RTM.

Thanks,
    Stan

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:53 PM
  • Quick question (of the subject); Why is it that it is Windows 7, but internal versioning is 6.1.7600.xxxx?  I thought that was just during BETA and that it was going to change to 7.x after RTM.

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2008/10/14/why-7.aspx
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 5:19 PM
  • Thank you!  It makes sense to me.  It also explains why some XP applications were "broken" by Vista.  Not that it wouldn't work under Vista, just that the application may not even install due to versioning issues.

Thanks again for your work on the nVidia fix.

Stan
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:10 PM
  • Ok, it appears that, after all, the hotfix is ****NOT**** working for me. About the time I installed it, I had changed some things in my BIOS.

Today, switching graphics cards, I went into the BIOS and tweaked them around a bit. I switched "PnP OS" to ON and the problem started appearing again! Switched back to "NO" and... you get the idea.

How weird...
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:32 PM
  • Hey Mark. So the hotfix seems to have fixed the data transfer issue for me, however I am still having sporadic disconnects across the drives. Basically Win 7 will just drop the connection (seems to happen when the drives are in sleep mode). I have to power the drive off and on to re-establish connectivity. I am using 4 X 2TB WD Mirror Edition USB drives and 1 X 250GB WD drive connected to my media server via a 7-port Kensington USB hub (yes I have changed the hub out and get the same issue).

Any ideas?
    Friday, November 20, 2009 9:43 AM
  • hotfix working here, on a nvidia mcp73v motherboard with w7 x64 and 4gb of ram. thank you.
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 12:13 AM
  • The hotfix is working for me with a NVIDIA GeForce 7100 Chipset in a Irvine-GL6E motherboard.
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 12:24 AM
  • Asus hat just ein BIOS-Update für das M3N78-VM (nForce 8200)
    veröffentlich:

[ 1406 ]
    ----------------------
    1. Fix BMP image may not be displayed properly on the screen.
    2. Fix the system may hang during file transferring from USB hard
    drive in Windows 7 with 4GB or more of system memory.

Hört sich sehr nach dem beschriebenen Problemchen an.

Immer frisch von FTP-Server:

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socketAM2/M3N78-VM/M3N78-VM-1406.zip

BR, Steckili

Saturday, November 21, 2009 11:59 AM
    veröffentlich:

[ 1406 ]
    ----------------------

BR, Steckili

Hmmm! Where did that come from? On Asus' site (http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=ovqEgLFRjnSClhSV&templete=2) they're still at 1309!!!
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 2:48 PM
  • Thanks Mark.  HP M9350F Phenom PC / Windows 7 (RM) x64 (nForce 8200) ... hotfix has worked perfectly for last 24 hours.  Backed up hard drive using USB drive / synched an iPod multiple times / USB Logitech camera used multiple times; all these things were problematic at best prior to installing the hotfix.  Thanks again.
    BR/
    Marty
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 11:54 PM
    veröffentlich:

[ 1406 ]
    ----------------------

BR, Steckili

Hmmm! Where did that come from? On Asus' site (http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=ovqEgLFRjnSClhSV&templete=2) they're still at 1309!!!

You have to wait a few days, because there is a delay between the release on the ftp-server with the history info and the support-homepage.

BR, Arne.

PS Now (Sunday) it is online!
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 8:58 AM
  • Hey Mark. So the hotfix seems to have fixed the data transfer issue for me, however I am still having sporadic disconnects across the drives. Basically Win 7 will just drop the connection (seems to happen when the drives are in sleep mode). I have to power the drive off and on to re-establish connectivity. I am using 4 X 2TB WD Mirror Edition USB drives and 1 X 250GB WD drive connected to my media server via a 7-port Kensington USB hub (yes I have changed the hub out and get the same issue).

Any ideas?

Please start a new thread for this issue.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 5:34 AM
  • Mark,

Thank you very much.  This USB problem had been driving me up the wall. 

You're a star!
    Monday, November 23, 2009 9:42 PM
  • I have been having this issue ever since I installed windows 7.  I received the hotfix, but then it told me that "This update is not applicable to your computer."  I am running an Acer Aspire X3200-U3630A.  I'll try the workaround instead, but maybe this is not as confined a problem as it seemed?
    Friday, November 27, 2009 5:44 AM
  • I got that message because I was running 7100 and not the release version. Others have had it because they didn't get the 64-bit version of the hotfix. I don't suppose either of those is the case?
    Friday, November 27, 2009 8:51 AM
  • I have been having this issue ever since I installed windows 7.  I received the hotfix, but then it told me that "This update is not applicable to your computer."  I am running an Acer Aspire X3200-U3630A.  I'll try the workaround instead, but maybe this is not as confined a problem as it seemed?

If you got that error message, it either means you were running the RC build (7100), or you got the wrong package on accident (like the x86 version when you're running x64).

When you get to the download page, click on the "show hotfixes for all platforms and languages" link.  If you're not sure if you have x86 or x64, see the link just above this on the same page.  Make sure you download the correct package for your platform.  Let me know if you still have problems installing it.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 7:57 AM

I suspect that my M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard needs the same BIOS fix. If I install 6 GB of RAM, I get BSOD crashes with BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER, and the system hibernates instead of sleeping (even though it is configured to never hibernate!).

If I reduce the amount of RAM back to 4 GB, it becomes stable, and sleep works correctly, too. I've got a support request in with ASUS asking about an update for the BIOS to fix this.

I've got the hotfixes for USB transfers and Sleep problems installed:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974476

Thank you for pointing out the BIOS as a possible issue!

Chris Shaker

Sunday, November 29, 2009 10:34 AM
  • Chris - I don't think that is related to this issue.  Can you please start a new thread for that problem? 

If you have a set of steps you can follow to make it happen on demand, please post those, along with details on your hardware.  It would also help if you posted a few of the memory dump files (they provide more info about the crash).  The files are in c:\windows\minidumps.  Please create a public share on http://skydrive.live.com, put a few of those minidumps up there, and include a link to the public folder in your thread.  Thanks!
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 10:40 AM
  • Apologies in advance if this is not the right forum, however the solution to my problem has been elusive to say the least.  I am running into major hang ups when I plug an IPOD into my Dell XPS 1340, and I think it may be a USB problem.

In summary, I am running a fresh install of Win 7 Pro x64 with the latest version of iTunes (9.02, x64).  ITunes runs fine on its own.  As soon as I plug in my IPod (Classic, 120gb) ITunes freezes.  The IPod is detected and shows up in My Computer, but also causes a hang there.  The worst part is that ITunes CANNOT be shut down via task manager AND that a shutdown is not possible, as it just hangs, forcing me to power down in order to reboot.  I have tried upgrading my chipset and bios from the Dell website, as well as applying the hotfix contained in this thread, but the problem persists.  Here is my MSINFO32 output:

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
    Version    6.1.7600 Build 7600
    Other OS Description     Not Available
    OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
    System Name    RUBICON
    System Manufacturer    Dell Inc.
    System Model    Studio XPS 1340
    System Type    x64-based PC
    Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P9600  @ 2.66GHz, 2668 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date    Dell Inc. A11, 9/8/2009
    SMBIOS Version    2.5
    Windows Directory    C:\Windows
    System Directory    C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale    United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
    User Name    Rubicon\Administrator
    Time Zone    Eastern Standard Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory    3.75 GB
    Available Physical Memory    2.63 GB
    Total Virtual Memory    7.49 GB
    Available Virtual Memory    6.31 GB
    Page File Space    3.75 GB

I realize that more information is likely required, so please let me know what else I should send along.

Any assistance would be much appreciated as this is a problem that I've been trying to solve for several weeks now.

Thanks,

Craig Chapman
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 5:14 PM
  • Craig - Doesn't sound like your issue is related to the hotfix (I assume you've installed it).  I don't have any suggestions for you on that one, other than you should make sure you've got the latest version of iTunes, and that you should start a new thread to see if you can find other folks hitting the same problem.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 5:37 AM
  • Hey there,

I use a pci express card (with 2 FireWire slots) on my laptop and an external harddrive with Firewire. Well at least I try... Windows 7 Ultimate x64 manages to recognize my external drive, but after copying some bigger files the data transfer speed dops to zero and I can't abort the copying process. So it's more or less stuck until I unplug my drive.

My FireWire interface consits of this PCI express card:
    http://www.logilink.org/showproduct/PC0036A.htm

This is my external drive:
    http://www.lacie.com/de/products/product.htm?pid=11064

I know that the FireWire of the drive works, because I also tested it on my old computer (XP x86 SP2) who has built in FireWire. When I tested the card with Vista x86 I had the same issues. I also tried a different pci express card and got the same result.

What's wrong and how can I fix it?

Somewhere else a poster suggested to switch to the old Legacy driver for my pci express card. I tried it and also tried another one. I always got the same result.

i don't know I just think this problem and the USB problem is connected somehow. I have a Nvidia 9800M GT.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:09 PM
  • I suffer the same NVidia/USB problem and used your link to try to remedy the situation but the password seems invalid. I also tried to request the hotfix @ Microsoft but I get the following error message;

Hotfix Request

The system is currently unavailable. Please try back later, or contact support if you want immediate assistance.http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!
    Frank
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 12:27 AM
  • Hi I had a problem myself with the Windows 7 upgrade, after upgrading from Vista premium 64 had constant Blue screen problems. The Problem seemed to stem from graphics drivers weird problem seemed to works perfect with vista, system crashed in the middle of flash video. I not sure what else to tell you everything else worked fine pc did crash on it's own sometimes, came across the hotfix after going back to Vista(got tired of the blue screens, nice os but couldn't live with the blue screens), will this hotfix likely "fix" my computer in 7 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972 ?
    SPECS:
    HP p6142p
    AMD Phenom 9650 Quad core cpu 2.3ghz
    8.00 gb ram
    Aprox. 650 gb hdd
    Nvidia Geforce 9100
    Tried everything else HP didn't even know what was wrong with it they wanted to ship it back to the company, but I didn't want to be without my computer that long, but would like to get back to Win.7, that was part of the resone I bought it last summer! Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks tb
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 2:55 AM
  • If you meet the following, the hotfix should help;

You have a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2.
    The computer has an NVIDIA USB Enhanced Host Controller Interface (EHCI) chipset.
    The computer has at least 4GB of RAM.
    You try to copy data from the computer to an external USB storage device.

and

The computer stops responding.
    The copy operation stops.
    This issue may also occur when you are using USB devices other than storage devices.
    This issue may also occur if you perform other input/output (I/O) operations on the USB storage device. In this situation, the I/O operations fail.
    _+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_

Mine always bluescreened with driver nvlddmkm.sys to blame. After installing hotfix USB transfers work but are slow(10 to 15MB/sec)

Frank

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 4:44 AM
  • Mark, I seem to have a similar problem...my USB external HHD's won't finish a backup (Acronis TI2010), seem to work fine if I have an extra sata HD inside case.  I also have an MSI nForce 570 motherboard.  I've noticed that the hotfix is for nForce 6 and above...mine being a 570...seems the problem exists with mine too!? Downloaded the hotfix and tried to install it but my system said that the hotfix wasn't compatable with my system.  Guess I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place!?
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 1:57 AM
  • I double-clicked the msu file. After a moment it told me "The update is not applicable to your computer."

Hi Jeff,

Yes, that's the problem.  This fix is only for the RTM build.  For the RC build, you'll have to continue to use the temporary workaround discussed in the other thread. 

Sorry,
    Mark
    Will there be a hotfix for the RC build too?
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 9:11 PM
  • I have Hp p6140d desktop system
    Mobo: MS-7525
    Ram: 4gb ddr2
    320gb HDD

I upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and experiencing these usb problems
    Just want to ask if this hotfix will solve my usb problem since I'm using a MSI mobo.

Many thanks guys.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 1:59 AM
  • Cool, I hope this works. I have this same problem ( trying to copy to a usb flash or hard drive caused the file transfer to freeze, the cpu useage goes to 100% and then all my usb ports stop working until a reboot) and have a board with a Nforce 560 chipset. It was a pain to have to reboot to XP everytime I needed to copy files,  glad other users are having success with it. Would have been nice if this showed up in windows updates, even if it was optional I would have found it alot sooner.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 10:19 PM
  • Bauzi - Please start a new thread to discuss that 1394 issue.  Thanks!
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 5:24 AM
  • tonebonebgky - Yes, it's possible that the video-related crashes you were seeing could be resolved with this hotfix.  Unfortunately, there's no way for me to be 100% sure that it's going to resolve the problem that you were experiencing.
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 5:28 AM
  • Mark, I seem to have a similar problem...my USB external HHD's won't finish a backup (Acronis TI2010), seem to work fine if I have an extra sata HD inside case.  I also have an MSI nForce 570 motherboard.  I've noticed that the hotfix is for nForce 6 and above...mine being a 570...seems the problem exists with mine too!? Downloaded the hotfix and tried to install it but my system said that the hotfix wasn't compatable with my system.  Guess I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place!?

dart451 - There's no mention in the kb article of the impacted chipsets.  As for the problem you ran into, check out this post earlier in the thread:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/38f25c1d-de67-4c74-8845-2cd3a15d8e41#ff57dc37-cec8-4dc9-bbad-380ca1504d83
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 5:33 AM
  • Will there be a hotfix for the RC build too?

shani_ace - No, there are no plans to provide this hotfix for the RC build.  Sorry.
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 5:34 AM
  • I have Hp p6140d desktop system
    Mobo: MS-7525

LuisPogi - Yes, I believe that your machine uses an Nvidia chipset, so you should try installing this hotfix.
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 5:36 AM
  • Would have been nice if this showed up in windows updates, even if it was optional I would have found it alot sooner.
    Bobjr94 - Yeah, I completely agree with you.  Sorry it was tough to track down.  Please give the hotfix a try and let us know if you run into any issues.

Saturday, December 12, 2009 5:37 AM
  • I have a 1-month old Dell Inspiron 546, AMD Athion II X2 250 processor, 4GB RAM
    Integrated sound and video; 2 USB ports in front, 4 in back.
    Running fresh installed Win 7 x64 from Dell
    I cannot find in my system description or in msinfo32 whether I have the Nvidia chipset.

I have a C: and an additional D: internal drive.
    I have attached a 1TB external USB drive which initially seemed to work fine.
    Over time the following things happened:
    I put about 450GB of music files on the drive w/o problem; also a copy of my old D:\ drive from my old machine.
    I put my iTunes library on it (very small; just podcasts); I did not point iTunes at the music files.
    Then the I/O operations began to fail - iTunes would not find the drive or get an error when writing a podcast there.
    And when I would go to look at the drive, I might see root level folders but no lower level folders until I unplugged the drive USB connector and plugged it in again.
    Then manual copy to the drive would be rejected because Win 7 said the drive was write-protected!

Bottom line - I could have multiple issues.
    How can I determine if the Hotfix is approrpiate for me (back to the nvidia question).

thanks,
     -carl

Saturday, December 12, 2009 5:09 PM

dart451 - There's no mention in the kb article of the impacted chipsets.  As for the problem you ran into, check out this post earlier in the thread:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/38f25c1d-de67-4c74-8845-2cd3a15d8e41#ff57dc37-cec8-4dc9-bbad-380ca1504d83
    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center **

Mark, you hit it right on the head!  I didn't even notice that there was a "show hotfixes for all platforms and languages" link!  I had downloaded the x86 version which is why it didn't want to install!  And, the x64 version installed just fine and best of all, I was able to do a full backup of myUSB hardrive! Kudos to you and yours!!  You are a life saver on this forum!  Thank you!
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 10:53 PM
  • Carl - The issues you describe don't sound like they are related to this issue.  And from what I can tell, you don't have an Nvidia chipset (looks like ATI/AMD).  Install of the hotfix shouldn't have any impact on your machine.  I'd suggest starting a new thread for these problems.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 5:07 AM
  • Mark - just a note a appreciation; thanks so much for this hotfix it works beautifully!! 

Also want to confirm another point mentioned earlier in the thread... I initially downloaded the Hotfix using Google Chrome (my default browser) and was linked to the wrong update file as the download website identified my platform as "i386" rather than "x64". Installation attempt gave me the message that the update "is not applicable to my computer" (although it clearly is). After re-reading some posts here, I re-downloaded using Internet Explorer 64-bit. The resulting e-mail correctly identified my system as x64 and provided the correct link, installation was a breeze, and now I have my files backed up to my external drive! Thanks again!
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:39 AM
  • Hello Mark,

I am having an issue which seems to be related to this. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on my desktop with 4GB of RAM. This machine has an Intel USB controller on the mobo. I also have a media PC running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit with 2GB of RAM. This machine is an Acer AspireRevo R3600 and I'm pretty sure it has an nVidia USB controller (everything else about the machine is nVidia). Device Manager is showing it as a "Standard USB Host Controller," however. I have an external HDD attached to this media PC.

I want to copy files from my desktop to the external HDD of my media PC, and it hangs almost every time. Copying large files to the HDD of my media PC does not have any issues. I have installed the hotfix on both machines and it has not resolved the issue.

I realize that this is a fringe case, but I figure you want to track down as many of these external USB issues as you can. Please let me know if you need diagnostics from either or both machines.
    - Andrew
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 9:32 AM
  • Hi all.  Really, really, really hoping you can help me out here.  Caveat: I'm not a super knowledgeable computer guy.  Average.

I'm having this issue.  This hotfix seems to be exactly what I need.  I just bought Windows 7 x64 to replace my Vista x64.  I have two older external hard drives of music that freeze up my entire system when trying to transfer files.  I have the chip sets, 4gb RAM...model case.  This should work.  Muy happy.

Alas, no.  It doesn't install.  There's no negative response.  There's nothing.  I downloaded this file: Windows6.1-KB976972-x64.msu.  When I double click that file, the Stand Alone Installer window pops up and has the message "Searching for updates on this computer."  I let it run for 6 hours.  It doesn't change.  In looking at task manager, it's not even registering any activity on wusa.exe.  I don't know what should happen.  I put in all the search terms I can think of on Google and it seems no one else has this problem, so I feel like the leper. 

If it matters, my laptop is an HP dv9820us.  NVidia GeForce Go 7150M.  4 gb RAM.  Dual core.

Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 4:07 PM
  • Hey all.  My issue is solved.  As an FYI to anyone out there like me who is knowledgeable but not an expert, my issue was that the stand alone installer wouldn't even try to install.  The fix was to make sure that there are no failures in the windows automatic update queue.  It was blocking this kb976972 from installing.  You find the automatic installer information about past updates here: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update\View update history
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 8:09 PM
  • I am having an issue which seems to be related to this.
    I want to copy files from my desktop to the external HDD of my media PC, and it hangs almost every time. Copying large files to the HDD of my media PC does not have any issues. I have installed the hotfix on both machines and it has not resolved the issue.

Andrew - It sounds like there's no issue with the Acer.  And the other issue you describe sounds like an issue copying over the network, which isn't related to the issue in this thread.  Please start a new thread for the issue on the other machine.  Please post the make/model of the PC (or motherboard) for that system.  Also, clarify which machine is hanging, and if it's the file copy that hangs or if one/both of the machines lock up & require a reboot to recover.  Thanks. 

Monday, December 21, 2009 1:59 AM
  • I've downloaded and applied the fix associated with this but still experience the problem.
    My hardware is a new Dell with 6MB, NVIDIA GeForce GT220 display adaptor, external USB connected  drives are Seagate Fat32 formatted and Western Digital NTFS formated.

I still experience the problems (copy grinding to a halt) I had before applying the hotfix. The Windows update log tells me it was applied successfully.
    Friday, January 1, 2010 8:55 PM
  • What model Dell do you have?
    Friday, January 1, 2010 8:57 PM
  • Hey, I tried the HotFix and it didn't work.

I tried creating a new thread about it, but got pretty much no help ( http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/a671e232-9c83-4491-8a38-7f66b38d8f2f )

I found I can copy to USB Drives less than 4GB in size. But my main thumbdrive, which is 16GB doesn't work.  This annoys me as I usually have 10 or so GB I want to transfer from my new system to my office.

Ideas?
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 4:32 AM
  • I tried creating a new thread about it, but got pretty much no help ( http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/a671e232-9c83-4491-8a38-7f66b38d8f2f )
    The thread wasn't in the correct forum.  I've asked a moderator to move it to this one, and I've posted some additional questions in that thread.
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 5:28 AM
  • I have a Gigabyte GA-M56S-S3 motherboard which has the nForce 560 chipset with 4GB memory, I run Windows7 x64 and have the problem as well, the hotfix did NOT solve the problem. I did not have this problem before with Vista x64. If Microsoft does not come up with a quick fix it'll be Ubuntu for me from now on, I'm sick and tired of this "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk during a paging operation"!!! I had the same error 3 years ago already with my previous system running XP. Why o why is Microsoft still not able to solve this problem once and for all!?
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 12:49 PM
  • DrRClavan - Please start a new thread and post more details on your issue (including the issues you saw in XP, and whether or not they were with the same USB drive).

Also, please run the application msinfo32 on your machine (it's included with Windows 7).  Go to File...save, then name the output file.

After that, create a public share on http://skydrive.live.com.  Then copy the msinfo32 output file to that share.  Then please post the link in your new thread.

Thanks!

Sunday, January 10, 2010 5:13 PM
  • Windows6.1-KB976972-x64 hotfix didnt work for me...any ideas why? some people said it worked for them.  here are my spec any help would be appreciated...

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) (build 7600)
    Install Language: English (United States)
    System Locale: English (United States)
      HP-Pavilion KC880AA-ABA m9150f 
    System Serial Number: CNX74627HB
    Enclosure Type: Desktop
    Processor <sup>a</sup>   Main Circuit Board <sup>b</sup>
    2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (4 total)
    Not hyper-threaded
      Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. Benicia 1.01
    Serial Number: MS1C7BR61606345
    Bus Clock: 267 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 5.15 12/31/2007
    Drives   Memory Modules <sup>c,d</sup>
    2719.84 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    2159.33 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

TOSHIBA DVD/HD SD-H802A [CD-ROM drive]
    TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653N [CD-ROM drive]
    WD Virtual CD 1112 IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device [CD-ROM drive]

Generic- Compact Flash USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
    Generic- MS/MS-Pro USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 6
    Generic- SD/MMC USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 5
    Generic- SM/xD-Picture USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
    ST3360320AS [Hard drive] (360.08 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 9QF7T9NP, SMART Status: Healthy
    ST3360320AS [Hard drive] (360.08 GB) -- drive 1, s/n 9QF7T72T, rev 3.CHL, SMART Status: Healthy
    WD My Book 1112 IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device [Hard drive] (1999.69 GB) -- drive 2, s/n 12ee14008d15db58
      8192 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 2048 MB
    Slot 'DIMM1' has 2048 MB
    Slot 'DIMM2' has 2048 MB
    Slot 'DIMM3' has 2048 MB
      Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 349.54 GB 220.87 GB free
    d: (NTFS on drive 1) 360.08 GB 359.96 GB free
    j: (NTFS on drive 0) 10.53 GB 10.42 GB free
    o: (NTFS on drive 2) 1999.69 GB 1568.08 GB free
      Network Drives
      None detected
    Users <small>(mouse over user name for details)</small>   Printers
    local user accounts last logon
     BigDogJohnson 1/6/2010 5:11:17 PM (admin)
     LogMeInRemoteUser 12/28/2009 12:25:08 AM (admin)
    local system accounts
     Administrator 10/14/2009 7:55:55 AM (admin)
     Guest never
     HomeGroupUser$ never

DISABLED Marks a disabled account;   LOCKED OUT Marks a locked account

Brother MFC-240C USB Printer on USB001
    Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX:
    Microsoft XPS Document Writer on XPSPort:
    Controllers   Display
    None detected   LogMeIn Mirror Driver [Display adapter]
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT [Display adapter]
    DELL M409WX [Monitor] (s/n NU24388A0240, August 2008)
    Bus Adapters   Multimedia
    Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/PCH SATA RAID Controller
    Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2934
    Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2935
    Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2936
    Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2937
    Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2938
    Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2939
    Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293A
    Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293C
      Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800 (Model 78xxx, Combo ATSC/QAM)
    Logitech Mic (Orbit/Sphere AF)
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 10:38 PM
  • Windows6.1-KB976972-x64 hotfix didnt work for me...any ideas why? some people said it worked for them.  here are my spec any help would be appreciated...
    It's because you have a different chipset.  Please follow the same instructions I gave to DrRClavan in the post just above yours.

Thanks,
    Mark

Monday, January 11, 2010 12:09 AM
  • I have been chasing down this type of issue for the longest time regarding BSOD's, Display corruption errors, devices not working, and USB Bluetooth issues especially with Cambridge Radio Systems CSZR USB 2.1 BT Dongle.

Blue Soliel did work with the CSR USB device but only for Cell phone to transfer pictures to my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bitbuild 7100 Gateway T-1616 with TL-66 AMD 64 x 2 and 4 GB of RAM. Blue Soleil timed out because the Install mini-CD had a 30-day Demo version but it did not work as a Personal Area Network device for such things as BT printers. I am not a fan of BlueSoliel because of this issue and that it is $35 for each system. For that extra I may as well spend a bit more and buy a printer with wifi internal web-server.

Back to the point:

I believe the issue is the OS's method of addressing RAM memory space and this is why memory truncation 'fixes' have worked. Traditionally, upper memory above the physical RAM was used by the processor(s) as address space for video, and other system hardware addresses as an Address Space. Limiting Ram by truncation tells the CPU that the bounds above are 'open' and that no RAM is addressable. The users that limit their effective upper RAM addresses and see this is as a "fix" are removing the possible >conflict< between the upper physical RAM. THese Devices/Virtual devices are accessed by the OS and processor use as arrays, maps, and translation space

The users that have had success have modified the processor upper address space through a combination of luck, driver changes and modified memory boundries. The lucky part is the users that have 4GB of RAM or more truncated after 3GB have somehow accomplished a configuration where data from physical RAM memory addresses in that upper range are ignored.

Monday, January 11, 2010 6:44 PM
  • I believe the issue is the OS's method of addressing RAM memory space and this is why memory truncation 'fixes' have worked.
    This is NOT a generic problem addressing memory.  This was a bug related to a feature used in the USB drivers.

For the other issues you've mentioned, please start a separate thread for each subject (Bluetooth, crashes, display corruption, etc.) as it sounds like they're all different.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:33 AM
    It's because you have a different chipset.  Please follow the same instructions I gave to DrRClavan in the post just above yours.

Thanks,
    Mark

ok i tried 2 different externals.. same problem on both.  And i have tried fire wire and USB.  here is the link

if you need anymore info please email me at playboy71322@gmail.com

Thanks for your help

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:18 PM
  • Mark

I've had the problem using USB HHD's for a couple of months now with the same symptoms of computer hanging/crashing and HHD 'disappearing'.  I finally stumbled accross this hotfix yesterday.  My computer setup is as stated in the title of this thread NVIDIA/Gforce mainboard/4GB RAM/W7 x64/Quad core/1TB int HDD/2 x iOmega 1.5 TB external HHD's).  It worked, no problem, with great relief as I can backup now. 

My only issue is why MS have not included this hotfix in a long awaited update OR make the hotfix more visable.  A lot of people know very little about computers, only how to use them and less on the methods employed to find solutions thenselves, let alone what main/mother board/USB controller(S) they have.  That said, thank you for this hotfix, as the USB issue has been driving me crazy.  Thanks again.

J
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:27 AM
  • my partner was complaining her passport hardrive was playing up after I installed windows 7.
    my phone was also playing up (but i used cooked roms so I expect it)

I google "window 7 usb issue" find this thread, install the fix

Job done

Thanks
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 6:57 AM
  • My only issue is why MS have not included this hotfix in a long awaited update OR make the hotfix more visable.  A lot of people know very little about computers, only how to use them and less on the methods employed to find solutions thenselves, let alone what main/mother board/USB controller(S) they have.  That said, thank you for this hotfix, as the USB issue has been driving me crazy.  Thanks again.

I agree that we could've done a much better job here.  Sorry that you had to deal with this issue for months.

The good news is that the current plans are to push this out on Windows Update next Tuesday.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 4:56 PM
  • Mark

Is there any solution on my USB issue?
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 6:25 PM
  • Mark,

thank you for your response.  It was good to hear.  Thank you very much, and keep up the good work, I'm very impressed

J
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 9:14 PM
  • Mark

Haven't had a chance to look yet.  As suggested above, please start a new thread.  This way, maybe someone else can offer tips while you're waiting on me :)  Make sure you post more details on exactly what you're seeing.  Thanks.
    Friday, January 22, 2010 6:00 AM
  • Mark! You are a goddamn genius!! Thank you a million times.
    Why, oh why, was this not taken care of before the WIN 7 release? Nvidia Chipsets are so common, and the x64 bit 4gb ram combo is more widespread now then ever, am I right?
    Anyways, this did the trick that drove my entire family berserk... Every time SKYPE video was on, 2-5 minutes past and the camera/video froze and nothing would help but rebooting.

Thank you again! and keep up your dedicated work! I think the existence of this hotfix needs to be advertised on every possible media form. 
    Tom
    Friday, January 22, 2010 3:40 PM
  • Mark

Haven't had a chance to look yet.  As suggested above, please start a new thread.  This way, maybe someone else can offer tips while you're waiting on me :)  Make sure you post more details on exactly what you're seeing.  Thanks.

I was going to start a new thread about it but there are so many already and you seem to handle most of the problems on there anyway, no need to have the same problem posted all over the place lol...ill just wait, in the meantime i just went down to 32bit till i hear something worth trying. thanks tho for your help and hopefully soon i will get a fix for this issue..
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 10:23 PM
  • I was going to start a new thread about it but there are so many already and you seem to handle most of the problems on there anyway, no need to have the same problem posted all over the place lol...ill just wait, in the meantime i just went down to 32bit till i hear something worth trying. thanks tho for your help and hopefully soon i will get a fix for this issue..

There can never be too many forum threads :)

Your issue is different than others I've heard, because it happens with USB OR 1394.  That means it's most likely not a USB problem.  You definitely need someone besides me looking at the issue.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 12:14 AM
  • I was going to start a new thread about it but there are so many already and you seem to handle most of the problems on there anyway, no need to have the same problem posted all over the place lol...ill just wait, in the meantime i just went down to 32bit till i hear something worth trying. thanks tho for your help and hopefully soon i will get a fix for this issue..

There can never be too many forum threads :)

Your issue is different than others I've heard, because it happens with USB OR 1394.  That means it's most likely not a USB problem.  You definitely need someone besides me looking at the issue.

ok ill make a new one
    Monday, January 25, 2010 12:31 AM
  • Just wanted to let folks tracking this thread know that the fix is now available on Windows Update.

The version of the fix on Windows Update is identical to the one that is posted in the kb article mentioned in the first post.

Thanks,
    Mark

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:02 PM
  • Hi, i just purchased a Dell 1545 Laptop the spec is:

Tried conecting my external USB Hard drive and it is shown in devices, and as drive E: but when i try to click or open system hangs and has message "Not Responding"
    I have tried the Hot Fix but, doesnt seem to work coz my Ram is not sufficent.

Do you have any other suggestions or ideas?

Thanks
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 11:17 AM
  • Hi All

I had same sort of issue, everytime i did a re boot my USB would stop working, could always get USB going again by uninstalling and searching for new hardware. but when i rebooted would go again.

Have read all the posts on the net tried lots of different things but no luck.

Motherboard: MA790GP-DS4H
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    8Gb DDR2 Ram

After reading a few posts about it maybe due to the mobo chipset i played with the drivers and still no luck,i decided to remove tings that could be the issue, First step was to put a DLink network card in and turn of the onboard card off, You would not beleive first try and everything worked, installed the USB on its own and running perfect. reversed my change and bam stuffed again. so as you canimagine im back on the Dlink now an all is working again.

If you are using the on board network card try a stand alone one and see if that fix's your issue
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 10:23 AM
  • Do you have any other suggestions or ideas?

The issue you describe isn't related to this hotfix.  Please start a new thread for this topic.  Thanks!
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 5:18 AM
  • I had same sort of issue, everytime i did a re boot my USB would stop working, could always get USB going again by uninstalling and searching for new hardware. but when i rebooted would go again.

The issue you describe is (obviously :) unrelated to this hotfix.  If you want to make sure people see it, I'd suggest starting a new discussion thread to highlight it for people.

When you went to uninstall the controllers, was there some sort of error code displayed?
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 5:21 AM
  • I am still having this exact problem with my Intel P965 motherboard. The hotfix did not fix this for me, but disabling the USB 2.0 EHCI Controller in the BIOS stops the problem, but obviously drastically kills my transfer speeds.

Have installed the latest chipset driver from the Intel site.

Has there been any fix published for this yet?

Cheers!
    Monday, March 1, 2010 2:33 PM
  • I had same sort of issue, everytime i did a re boot my USB would stop working, could always get USB going again by uninstalling and searching for new hardware. but when i rebooted would go again.

The issue you describe is (obviously :) unrelated to this hotfix.  If you want to make sure people see it, I'd suggest starting a new discussion thread to highlight it for people.

When you went to uninstall the controllers, was there some sort of error code displayed?

hi ,

a bit late maybe but still , ' thanks for this thread , now i have a good thread to let people visit who have the same problem

have a nice day
    Scan with OneCare + 50 Windows 7even Tips + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR+ Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Office 2010 beta + Get Windows LIVE!
  • Hello all,

I've been searching for a fix for a similar problem for some time now.  I installed this HotFix but it did not solve my problem. 

My problem relates to a USB headset.  It appears that when I hit a heavy load on the system sound my computer freezes up.  It comes back right away (most of the time) if I unplug the usb connector on the headset (logitech).  If I do not unplug the headset the system will sometimes have a moving mouse cursor but it is completely unresponsive (can not click on anything on the Win 7 Menu Bar). 

Please let me know if there is any additional information I can provide to help solve this problem.  Thank you for your help!

Ron Teitelbaum

System Information:

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    System Manufacturer    Hewlett-Packard
    System Model    HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
    Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU       Q 720  @ 1.60GHz, 1600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date    Hewlett-Packard F.13, 12/3/2009
    SMBIOS Version    2.6
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    8.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory    7.99 GB
    Available Physical Memory    5.32 GB
    Total Virtual Memory    16.0 GB
    Available Virtual Memory    12.9 GB
    Page File Space    7.99 GB
    Page File    C:\pagefile.sys

Display info:
    Name    NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M
    PNP Device ID    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A28&SUBSYS_363C103C&REV_A2\4&1B97CF1E&0&0018
    Adapter Type    GeForce GT 230M, NVIDIA compatible
    Adapter Description    NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M
    Adapter RAM    1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)
    Installed Drivers    nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
    Driver Version    8.16.11.8766
    INF File    oem27.inf (Section012 section)
    Color Planes    Not Available
    Color Table Entries    4294967296
    Resolution    1600 x 900 x 60 hertz
    Bits/Pixel    32
    Memory Address    0xD2000000-0xD30FFFFF
    Memory Address    0xC0000000-0xD1FFFFFF
    Memory Address    0xD0000000-0xD1FFFFFF
    I/O Port    0x00007000-0x00007FFF
    IRQ Channel    IRQ 16
    I/O Port    0x000003B0-0x000003BB
    I/O Port    0x000003C0-0x000003DF
    Memory Address    0xA0000-0xBFFFF
    Driver    c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys (8.16.11.8766, 11.14 MB (11,684,840 bytes), 10/3/2009 11:02 AM)

USB Info:
    Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3B34    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B34&SUBSYS_363C103C&REV_05\3&11583659&0&E8
    Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3B3C    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B3C&SUBSYS_363C103C&REV_05\3&11583659&0&D0

Sound Info:
    Name    NVIDIA High Definition Audio
    Manufacturer    NVIDIA
    Status    OK
    PNP Device ID    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_000A&SUBSYS_10DE0101&REV_1001\5&2109D80D&0&0001
    Driver    c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvhda64v.sys (1.0.0.59, 82.53 KB (84,512 bytes), 8/21/2009 2:24 PM)

Manufacturer    NVIDIA
    Status    OK
    PNP Device ID    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_000A&SUBSYS_10DE0101&REV_1001\5&2109D80D&0&0101
    Driver    c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvhda64v.sys (1.0.0.59, 82.53 KB (84,512 bytes), 8/21/2009 2:24 PM)

Manufacturer    NVIDIA
    Status    OK
    PNP Device ID    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_000A&SUBSYS_10DE0101&REV_1001\5&2109D80D&0&0201

Manufacturer    NVIDIA
    Status    OK
    PNP Device ID    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_000A&SUBSYS_10DE0101&REV_1001\5&2109D80D&0&0301

Name    IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
    Manufacturer    IDT
    Status    OK
    PNP Device ID    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_7603&SUBSYS_103C363C&REV_1002\4&35719CC1&0&0001
    Driver    c:\windows\system32\drivers\stwrt64.sys (6.10.6249.0, 490.00 KB (501,760 bytes), 2/16/2010 12:11 PM)
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 6:04 PM
  • Ron, that does not sound at all like the problem described in this thread (USB drive disconnect issues with Windows 7 x64 and nVidia chipset motherboards).  You should start a new thread for your issue.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:00 PM
  • Here are my specs:

• Acer Aspire X1800
    • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    • Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad CPU - Q8300 @2.50Ghz (4 CPUS) ~2.5Ghz
    • Memory 4098MB RAM
    • NVIDIA Geforce 7100/NVIDIA nforce 630i
    This is the exact problem I have but the hotfix doesn't work.
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:39 PM
  • Hey Guys,

Just installed windows 7 ENT Edition, didnt notice till i tried to copy files my 16 gig USB, the drive it recognised and so is my 1 tb External, I can download to both devices but if i try and copy a file to them it stops at end drive dissapears and cannot be accessed.

I tried the hot fix it did nto work for me, oh i am using 4 gig as well

Any patch for this anytime soon?

Thanks

John Jacks

Sunday, April 4, 2010 3:56 PM
  • I have applied the hotfix and it does not work. Let me explain what this means to me. I can't synch my iPhone and that means I can't keep my work diary up to date and thsi is essential to me. Further, my USB ports lose power apparently on an arbitrary basis. Sometimes it happens as soon as I start my PC, sometimes it lasts a few hours. I lose my USB devices several times every day and have to restart my PC every time.

I've looked all over the place trying to find out what's going wrong but I'm getting nowhere. My chipset is NVIDIA nForce 630i and I have 4 Gig of RAM. My PC is a quad Intel chip and when it works, it's good. This USB problem is driving me mad. I do not know what else I can do. You've released a hotfix that doesn't fix my problem. You've produced an operating system that is not fit for purpose. Vista was a nightmare and despite feeling you should have provided a free of charge upgrade to put right its failings, I bit the bullet and paid for the upgrade to W7. Having installed the 64 bit version and then discovered this major failure, I would like to install the 32bit version that was included with the 64 bit upgrade but because it's an upgrade from Vista and Vista no longer exists on my PC, I assume I can't do this. Of course, I could spend many hours sorting out everything that's installed on PC, buy an external hard disk (assuming it would work despite the USB problem) and go through the painstaking experience of reinstalling Windows 7 from scratch. This is an assumtion too since I do not know if I could use the upgrade disk to do this or whether you would unfairly take more money from me in the shape of a new installation disk.

I do not understand how a company whose operating system is so widely used across the world could allow such a problem to exist. You could have put a warning notice on the 64 bit install disk to tell me not to install it but use the 32 bit install instead but you elected not to do so. It's shameful that you put your customers in this position. When my USB ports lose power, the o/s does not report any problems. There seems to be no diagnostics that help me and the resulting BSOD just says a USB device has an invalid power state suggesting it's a device that's the problem, not the ports.

Every time it fails, I lose access to the Internet since my wireless card is USB. I can't get wireless back without a reboot.

Since you have issued a hotfix, does this mean you are no longer working on this matter? My PC is just a year old and I cannot afford to buy another operating system and associated software to replace what I have at the moment so I'm entirely in your hands. I need your help and it sounds like plenty of other people do too so PLEASE help us to sort this out. If this was any other product than computer software, it would be taken back to the shop for a refund and I'd not buy that manufacturer's product again. I can't do this with an operating system so I'm stuck. What will it take for you to sort this out? All you are doing at the moment is making me resent Microsoft more and more for putting me in this situation.

Mark.

Saturday, April 17, 2010 6:04 PM
  • I ended up moving to 32bit widnows 7, everything is fine now, not very happy with complete lack of response on this issue

Thanks

John

Monday, April 19, 2010 10:02 AM
  • In the absence of any interest from Microsoft on this matter has anyone approached NVidia?
    Monday, April 19, 2010 5:46 PM
  • Marke998 - Can you explain the exact scenrio that is failing. You said you can't sync your iPhone. Is it every time you connect and try to sync or is it only when there is a large data transfer while sync.

Moreover can you provide the following details from the affected system.

Make/model of PC (or of your motherboard):
    BIOS rev:
    iTunes version:
    System drive make/model:
    System drive file system (NTFS/FAT32):
    Output of MSINFO32 tool (Save the output file in a public folder on http://skydrive.live.com and post the link here.)
    Is there a set of steps that you can follow to make this happen reliably?

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 6:22 AM
  • My PC is only 3 months old and I am having the same problem. I have 3 SATA (WD and Seagate) and 1 IDE drive (all NTFS) that I have tested connecting through an external USB adaptor. When copying large amounts of data, the rate slows right down till it eventually just freezes (everytime). The hotfix does not work!!

My Hardware Specs are:

Gigabyte Board - G41MT-ES2L

Ram: 4GB

Graphics: NVidia GeForce GT240

Windows 7 x64

Thursday, April 22, 2010 12:12 PM
  • Hi have an emachines EL1830. 3Gb RAM, Nvidia chipset, and WIN7 64b. Same problem with USB large files. I´ve already installed the hotfix and it doesnt work. I've tried to disable some USB properties at the device manager and at least the computer doesnt freeze anymore, but the transfers from/to USB are at 1Mb per sec max. I'm lost and I don't know what to do...

Sunday, April 25, 2010 8:38 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delay, I've been away for a few days.

Here's the link:

http://cid-37732fdb098a51eb.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/MSINFO32?nl=1&uc=1&isFromRichUpload=1

Make/model of PC (or of your motherboard): iXtreme x9610
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD PBDIEGMB.P15, 10/07/2008
    iTunes version: 9.1.0.79
    System drive make/model: WDC WD64 00AAKS-00A7B SCSI Disk Device
    System drive file system (NTFS/FAT32): NTFS
    Output of MSINFO32 tool (Save the output file in a public folder on http://skydrive.live.com and post the link here.) See link above.
    Is there a set of steps that you can follow to make this happen reliably? Yes. I have removed 2G of physical RAM to stop it happening but if I put this back in and sync my iPhone, it happens everytime. Transferring data to an external hard disk does it as does transferring data from this PC to my laptop via wireless. I also have intermittent problems writing to CD/DVD.

Thanks,

Mark.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 1:52 PM
  • i had older 630i/ chipset acer, the Pheonix bios was not stable I went down that route, have you tried or consider change some value in the regestry under NVTWEAK, that took care the issues had which sounded similar, also, the x1800 model acer has a oem bios for this there are two more steps, where you need to run CPU-z and Latency app, then it stables after few days. hope this helps,
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 5:09 AM
  • i had older 630i/ chipset acer, the Pheonix bios was not stable I went down that route, have you tried or consider change some value in the regestry under NVTWEAK, that took care the issues had which sounded similar, also, the x1800 model acer has a oem bios for this there are two more steps, where you need to run CPU-z and Latency app, then it stables after few days. hope this helps,

Thanks for the advice but I'm not knowledgeable enough to understand your post or what I would need to do. Are you suggesting I upgrade my BIOS?

Cheers,

Mark.

Saturday, May 1, 2010 12:11 PM
  • SORRY, i have tendency to skip step, but first go to acer support site, BUT DONT go to the USA SUPPORT SITE. the UK support site is much more informative and updated, and just download the drive like you would, but stay away from the US SUPPORT SITE.

another thought, any Nvidia chipset based PC, typically the Nvidia driver would overide the oem locks, i would download from http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index5.aspx?lang=en-us the chipset driver, which has display, lan, also make things easier, http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_system_tools_6.06.html their software had built in update option and the manual is fairly good.

only reason to flash bio for this chipset to be able to add little bit better graphic card, the chipset drive and the system tool should be able to solve your issue based on your desciption. flashing bios is last choice, because it's not the easiest thing to unluck... let me know if this helps

Sunday, May 2, 2010 9:32 AM
  • Do you have any other suggestions or ideas?

The issue you describe isn't related to this hotfix.  Please start a new thread for this topic.  Thanks!

Dear Mark,

This might also not be directly related, but it appears to be the closest to the problem we're having.  For about a month, Windows 7 was working like a champ on a new hard drive, on a network with several .vhd Windows 7 installations, but then began to experience the problems noted on this forum, apparently about the time we updated to "Adobe".  There's not much information on how to fix what appears to be a false Adobe updater, so perhaps this will require a new thread?  On a separate hard drive on the same system is WS08 installation which works fine, but it won't even boot to the Windows 7  drive without freezine up along the boot routine.  We have uninstalled several suspect Citrix programs, including FlipVideo software and still get the same problem.

Thx in advance for your possible help.

knight
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 9:26 PM
  • I to am having a problem with myAcer Aspire Z5600 win7 64bit

I can read from my USB flash drives but whe I plug in my toshiba portable backup drive the computer does not read it

It works fone on my vista and win732 bit computers

thanks of your help in advance

Sunday, May 16, 2010 9:29 PM
  • Hi Mark,

I have been trying to transfer files to either my external hdd or my usb stick and they get stuck around half to 3/4 of the way through. These drives work fine on friends computers etc. If I wait long enough I get this error number 0x80070079 come up but if I search it I can find bugger all on it! I am running Windows 7 64bit with 6gig of ram. The hotfix and also the disabling of ram did not seem to work for me. Any help please??
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 5:24 PM
  • I to am also having this issue on 2 seperate machines.

Machine 1

Intel Core i7 920

12 gb ram

64 & 128 gb Patriot SSD (Raid0)

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Pavillion e9180f

Machine 2

Intel Core i3 330

4gb ram

dv6t-2150us

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 9:29 PM
  • FAO MannanS

Hi,

It's been a month now since I provided the files and information you requested regarding the details of my system so that you could look at the problem. Since I now have only 2 meg of RAM, my 'Windows rating' has become woeful and the speeds I'm experiencing dreadful. Please can you update me.

Thanks,

Mark.

Thursday, May 27, 2010 1:08 PM
  • Hi Marke998,

I don't have any update for you as yet. I have tried to repro the issue on a system with similar specs (mortherboard/chipset) but no luck. I am still trying with systems with various nvidia boards and configurations, will update you if I make any progress here.

In the meantime can you update your BIOS to latest version and see if makes the problem go away.

Thanks,
    Mannan

Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:11 PM
  • Thanks for the advice. I ran the NVIDIA system tool but it reports my drivers are up to date.

It looks like I'm stuck with 2gig of RAM and a PC that runs like a dog. I tried to find out about flashing my BIOS but I can't find anything on the web that shows me where I can get the latest version of my BIOS. I've downloaded all sorts of free driver checkers but none seem to look at the BIOS. I found a tool that offers to help in return for a year's subscription and I'm already fed up with having to pay for upgrades to fix problems (i.e. paying to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7) without any improvements.

Even if I found the latest version of BIOS, everywhere I look it says doing it wrong could make my PC inoperable and I don't want to risk that.

In short, I give up.

Cheers,

Mark.

Saturday, May 29, 2010 1:56 PM
  • I can't find the latest version of the BIOS anywhere including Packard Bell's site and I am not confident enough to flash the BIOS if I could find it so I'll just have to put up with the problems. Your suggestion might help technical users but it's of no help to me, unfortunately.

I have to give up now but I have to say that I find it disgraceful that Microsoft can't work with major hardware companies more effectively to make sure these problems don't exist. I'd accept it more if my PC was old or bespoked somehow but I only bought it a year ago and I paid more tahn I would normally for a good performance that is now significantly degraded.

Of course, if you can provide me with a way to move from 64bit to 32bit Windows 7 without charging me more money or making me rebuild my PC, I'm sure my problems would go away.

Mark.

Saturday, May 29, 2010 2:05 PM
  • Hi Mark,

I just purchashed a new pc and external hard drive on 05/22/10. I happened upon several sites discussing  the "file transfer stops/system hangs" issue reported on machines with Nvidia USB controllers and 4+GB of RAM. This causes some concern for me since my pc has the same configuration that seems to be affected by this issue. I have performed all of the new pc proceedures (except doing a back-up) and I ran/installed all Windows Automatic Updates. I have not tried to use the external drive yet. Your post states that as of 01/26/10 a hotfix has been created and that this fix will be provided via Windows update.

My question is this: Since your original post is from 4 months ago, has this hotfix now been installed on my new pc prior to purchase,  or via the Windows Automatic Updates that I did or is this an update that I still need to perform manually, in addition to the automatic updates? I tried to locate the update in my Installed Updates folder, but I do not know what this hotfix update number is (KB??), do you know what the update number is? Is this link for the most current version of the hotfix }  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972 ? Are there any other known issues that I should know about?

Thanking you in advance for any assistance you can provide in this matter :)

Sandy

Thursday, June 3, 2010 3:36 AM
  • Hi Mark,

I just purchashed a new pc and external hard drive on 05/22/10. I happened upon several sites discussing  the "file transfer stops/system hangs" issue reported on machines with Nvidia USB controllers and 4+GB of RAM. This causes some concern for me since my pc has the same configuration that seems to be affected by this issue. I have performed all of the new pc proceedures (except doing a back-up) and I ran/installed all Windows Automatic Updates. I have not tried to use the external drive yet. Your post states that as of 01/26/10 a hotfix has been created and that this fix will be provided via Windows update.

My question is this: Since your original post is from 4 months ago, has this hotfix now been installed on my new pc prior to purchase,  or via the Windows Automatic Updates that I did or is this an update that I still need to perform manually, in addition to the automatic updates? I tried to locate the update in my Installed Updates folder, but I do not know what this hotfix update number is (KB??), do you know what the update number is? Is this link for the most current version of the hotfix }  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972 ? Are there any other known issues that I should know about?

Thanking you in advance for any assistance you can provide in this matter :)

Sandy

hi ,

BEFORE you try any hotfix as a user use windows update !! after that one can use the nvidia update , it should have the same as the windows update , there are somebeta drivers that can also be found .

have a nice day

Scan with OneCare + Support ENDING for windows Vista & XP ! + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR + Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Get OFFICE 2010 FREE ! + Windows LIVE !
    Saturday, June 5, 2010 10:43 PM
  • Hi Mark,

I have a new system running Windows 7 64 bit current version. I believe my system may fall into the Nvidia x64 USB Transfer issue. I have applied all windows updates and then the suggested hotfix. The system still hangs when I try to copy several large files onto USB drives. Can you please help me get to the bottom of this? I can post a msinfo file somewhere if you like.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Friday, June 18, 2010 4:16 AM
  • Hi,

I also have the same problem and my Win 7 has all updates and in fact the problem started not long time ago, so I guess that was caused by some update?

I am running Win 7 Ultimate (64) on Intel dual core laptop 4GB RAM, I applied 976972 fix but nothing has changed the problem persists. Very  frustrating.

Friday, July 23, 2010 8:27 PM
  • Hello,

I have the same problem... I installed the hotfix yesterday and it worked for 2 hours.

I updated the OS trough windows update and then I rebooted and now it dosent work again :(

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP EliteBook 8440p

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1.7600.16385 (x64)

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU       M 520  @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 2 procesadores principales, 4 procesadores lógicos

BIOS: Hewlett-Packard 68CCU Ver. F.0D, 14/07/2010

RAM: 8GB

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 9:33 AM
  • Hello,

I have the same problem... I installed the hotfix yesterday and it worked for 2 hours.

I updated the OS trough windows update and then I rebooted and now it dosent work again :(

HP EliteBook 8440p

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1.7600.16385 (x64)

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU       M 520  @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 2 procesadores principales, 4 procesadores lógicos

BIOS: Hewlett-Packard 68CCU Ver. F.0D, 14/07/2010

RAM: 8GB

I reinstalled the O.S. again, the x64 version with the official drivers and WORKED!!!! (without the hotfix).

I did a BIOS update first and reintalled later, because didnt work only th the bios update I had to reinstall all the OS.

Cheers :D

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 10:53 PM
  • I applied the hotfix yesterday and it worked great. I tried to transfer some files again today and it isn't working. I even tried the temporary fix from a while back and it didn't work either.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 9:25 PM
  • So is Microsoft going to do anything about it? The problem does exist and it won't go away by itself
    Monday, August 2, 2010 8:08 PM
  • So is Microsoft going to do anything about it? The problem does exist and it won't go away by itself

It would seem not. They've basically said they can't find a problem. It's just us, the customers. They recommend you either risk making your PC completely inoperable by upgrading the BIOS (which, of course, is not guaranteed to solve the problem) or simply cripple it by making sure the PC cannot access more than 2 meg of RAM. Terrible attitude. I equate this to buying a car and, having found a problem with the engine, being told it will work as long as I make sure no more than two pistons are used.

Mark.

"I'm a PC and I wish I was a Mac."

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 7:12 PM
  • Folks,

First post here....

My issue was that my system wount reconize my external WD Hard drive using UBS

i could see it, but no drive letter associated to it.

i noticed it said the drive was dynamic and not basic, so i googled how to change it to basic, and came across this software that did the trick

Dynamic Disk Converter Professional

i bought the software for $30. in desperation.

it worked in 30seconds!

http://www.dynamic-disk.com/dynamic-disk-convert-professional.html

i can now see my WD 120Gig drive using USB.

my system is:

Intel i5 750

8Mg Ram

hope this helps

Allen

Saturday, August 28, 2010 2:39 PM
  • Hi all. I have been monitoring this HotFix issue for some time. The reply posted by Allen123456 posted on Agust 28, 2010 is very interesting that he tries a 3rd-part solution and it worked. The description of what a 'basic' and a 'dynamic' USB volume seems very similar to an un-initialized hard drive or USB drive connected and not recognized by the upper layers of the Windows 7 O.S.

Windows 7 O.S. is fantastic concerning automatically updating, finding drivers and working out compatibility mode configurations for older software. However, I have had times when I have used the Manage Computer feature to 'mount' either a new USB or an eSATA hard drive to my trusty Gateway T1600 series laptop running Winows Ultimate 64 bit, and with 4GB of RAM.

To either check a removable device's status or to try and 'fix-mount' a new volume on PATA. SATA, USB or possibly LAN/Wifi connections:

Start Menu

Computer

right click and then choose  MANAGE

on the left side open STORAGE

then open Disk Management

you will see a small icon for each drive and whether and attributes for Layout, Type, File System, Status

below this is a graphical layout of the disk partitions

if you right-click on the drive icon in the graphical view section : You have choices to use a drive as a Basic or Convert to a Dynamic Volume.

This sounds very similar to what Allen123456 tried with success with the software program he purchased. His $30 dollar investment was a good price especially if other utilities are included in his software.

I too have had problems with eSATA and USB volumes suddenly not available when plugged in a week later, and have had issues with known good removable drives not seen under Windows 7. They did work under Vista or XP. Perhaps Windows 7 is a bit more robust and particular security-wise or in how volumes are uniquely identifiable for security reasons. Also, remember that XP and Vista both rely more upon the HAL layer - in other words - the computer's CMOS recognition of volumes at boot-time. This may be a complicational condition of whether dynamically plugged-in drives are recognized as an icon on the desktop, if they are reliably connected for read/writes, and if they are seen as a seurely attached basic or dynamic volume.

One good tool to use to test if any volume is in the public domain. "HD Tune" is able to see drives that are not 'seen' by Windows 7, even for drives that are not in the Removable or Fixed volume drive lists under Control Panel - System - Device Manager. If HD Tune does not see a drive, then I know there is either a mechanical, power, or cabling connection issue above and beyond the ability to move data on or off the disk.

www.http://hdtune.com      the free version works well enough

Sunday, August 29, 2010 1:59 AM
  • All I can say, is that I started searching because I had a USB drive suddenly disappear from the computer, and Windows 7 (yes it's the win64 Professional, yes retail version, with the various Windows updates) lose my external USB drive.  This computer does [b]not[/b] have an nVidia chipset, and in fact is a laptop using an Intel core 2 duo processor.  It's an Acer extensia 4620-4648.  I had used it on this laptop for a couple months, but just tonight, and out of the blue...  The drive is still getting power and all, and Windows just now shows it as mass storage controller unknown, and wants me to install drivers for it.

Before this happened, I was playing World of Warcraft on the drive, it had previously downloaded/applied a minor update following the 4.0.1 patch which was put on before.  Just tonight, landing from the gryphon (in game), the game froze/locked up, and trying to sort this, I finally got back to desktop by forcing a shutdown by hitting the power button on the laptop, and then cancelling it.  The USB drive had been lost.

The drive is still getting power and everything, and Windows is detecting something, but has since lost that it is indeed a USB hard drive.  It was in search of a solution to the problem wich lead me to tis thread.  Whether the hotfix suggested would work or not, probably would depend on how specific it is to a nForce chipset driver, but I do seem to be having this problem on another computer using the Intel CPU/chipset combo which this laptop brings.

Sunday, October 17, 2010 8:37 AM
  • Though these fixes work for some, a lot of all the suggestions on this forum do not resolve the issue such as the hotfix and bios update etc.

I delt with this since 7 came out.
    I have old 100gig maxtor usb drive enclosure. No problem using it. it contains a IDE HDD.
    I have no prob with USB thumb drives. 
    I also have ( the one with the issue) a simple multi IDE sATA and laptop HDD adaptor that include a power adapter for drive power.

No matter if it was IDE sATA it would hang on large files.
    Finally I found SuperCopier22beta
    Ran it and started coping large amounts of data using the USB adapter. Not one problem or hang.
    This tool is a must try if you are simpling needing to transfer files.

As a pc tech theres a draw back though.
    Though SuperCopier22beta is great for moving files but its limited to just that.
    So if you plan on recovering files from a corrupt drive then you'll run into issues when the recovery software such as Getdataback and others start to recover and/or access large amount of data on the drive.

So this is a work around and IMO a fix for the copying issues but not a fix or even a work around for data utilites such as backup/recovery software.

Hope this helps.
    Eric

P.S.  I found that downloading the SuperCopier from the websites is buggy. It would download the app instantly. When I try to run the app it was corrupted. After some investigation I noticed it was only downloading about 34kb of the almost 500kb. Solution for me was to right click and use the save target option from the link.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 8:20 AM
  • we are all still looking for answer, ı am still have doubts of ms is caring about us

Friday, October 29, 2010 2:56 PM
  • we are all still looking for answer, ı am still have doubts of ms is caring about us

Friday, October 29, 2010 2:58 PM
  • Does the recent version of iTunes also do this for you? It could entirely be an issue of bad programming on Apple's side.
    Apologies in advance if this is not the right forum, however the solution to my problem has been elusive to say the least.  I am running into major hang ups when I plug an IPOD into my Dell XPS 1340, and I think it may be a USB problem.

In summary, I am running a fresh install of Win 7 Pro x64 with the latest version of iTunes (9.02, x64).  ITunes runs fine on its own.  As soon as I plug in my IPod (Classic, 120gb) ITunes freezes.  The IPod is detected and shows up in My Computer, but also causes a hang there.  The worst part is that ITunes CANNOT be shut down via task manager AND that a shutdown is not possible, as it just hangs, forcing me to power down in order to reboot.  I have tried upgrading my chipset and bios from the Dell website, as well as applying the hotfix contained in this thread, but the problem persists.  Here is my MSINFO32 output:

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
    System Name    RUBICON
    System Manufacturer    Dell Inc.
    System Model    Studio XPS 1340
    Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P9600  @ 2.66GHz, 2668 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date    Dell Inc. A11, 9/8/2009
    SMBIOS Version    2.5
    Windows Directory    C:\Windows
    System Directory    C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale    United States
    User Name    Rubicon\Administrator
    Time Zone    Eastern Standard Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory    3.75 GB
    Available Physical Memory    2.63 GB
    Total Virtual Memory    7.49 GB
    Available Virtual Memory    6.31 GB
    Page File Space    3.75 GB

I realize that more information is likely required, so please let me know what else I should send along.

Any assistance would be much appreciated as this is a problem that I've been trying to solve for several weeks now.

Thanks,

Craig Chapman

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 4:46 PM
  • same problem here, but i haven't a NVIDIA chipset.

motherboard: ga-770ta-ud3 (chipset AMD 770)

ram :4GB

cpu : phenom X4 965 B.E.

help pls :(

p.s.: I tried anyway the hotfix for NVIDIA chipsets, but it didn't work(of course)

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 2:41 AM
  • same problem here, but i haven't a NVIDIA chipset.

motherboard: ga-770ta-ud3 (chipset AMD 770)

ram :4GB

cpu : phenom X4 965 B.E.

help pls :(

p.s.: I tried anyway the hotfix for NVIDIA chipsets, but it didn't work(of course)

hi ,

click the link ' microsoft support ' in my signature and follow , they hae more tools and experience to help you , ...

have a nice day

Scan with OneCare + Support ENDING for windows Vista & XP ! + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR + Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Get OFFICE 2010 FREE ! 
    Monday, February 14, 2011 10:01 AM
  • Does the recent version of iTunes also do this for you? It could entirely be an issue of bad programming on Apple's side.

Hi,

Fair question. I plugged some more ram in and tried to shift a large number of songs to my iPhone via iTunes and the same old problem occurred. It was nice to have a brief moment of hope, though.

It's interesting because it fails on about the fourth song (it doesn't fail at all as long as I have only 2 gig of RAM installed) so, whilst I accept I understand very little about this problem, it occurs to me that maybe the system has a problem at the point it realises that it's got to shift a lot of data rather than at the point it copies it if you see what I mean.

I again ask Microsoft to please have another look at this problem. There's a lot of us suffering from this and I'm sure I'm not alone in finding that having to work around the OS' failings is time consuming and frustrating.

Mark.

Monday, February 14, 2011 7:52 PM

Hi,

Fair question. I plugged some more ram in and tried to shift a large number of songs to my iPhone via iTunes and the same old problem occurred. It was nice to have a brief moment of hope, though.

It's interesting because it fails on about the fourth song (it doesn't fail at all as long as I have only 2 gig of RAM installed) so, whilst I accept I understand very little about this problem, it occurs to me that maybe the system has a problem at the point it realises that it's got to shift a lot of data rather than at the point it copies it if you see what I mean.

I again ask Microsoft to please have another look at this problem. There's a lot of us suffering from this and I'm sure I'm not alone in finding that having to work around the OS' failings is time consuming and frustrating.

Mark.

hi ,

contact apple support , ...

microsoft cant everytime an ipod or itunes user has a problem be expected to deal with it , ....

BUT at the same time , click the link below and ask for a chat with microsoft support , .... updated and patched ?

have a nice day

Scan with OneCare + Support ENDING for windows Vista & XP ! + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR + Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Get OFFICE 2010 FREE ! 
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 1:12 PM

Still waiting a solution Dear MS.

Same problem here with:
    Acer Aspire 4741-6258
    I5-430M Intel Core processor (2.26 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
    4 GB RAM
    Intel Chipset 5 Series/3400 USB Enanched

Windows 7 Ultimate - SP1 - Build 7601 (For some MS reason now in Test Mode !)

The problem is getting worse,
    I have completely lost an external hard drive (Iomega 500GB)
    used as a backup, become unreadable on any PC.
    He lost the "Master Boot Sector. " Is no longer even possible to format it.

The same laptop works fine with Linux OpenSuse 11.4, with much higher speed USB transfer (25/33 MBs) compared to Windows 7 (5/15 MBs).
    With Linux I do not lose the USB devices with Windows 7 I've already had problems with two external hard drive: Iomega 500GB and LG 500GB, the same two drives worked perfectly with XP SP3 and Linux.

After Windows 7 have become irrecoverable!

In summary:
    1. Windows 7 loses USB devices plugged in
    2. In some cases damages the external hard drive
    3. USB data transfer rate very low
    4. USB Safely Unplug not work as well as in XP
    5. the same PC hardware works fine with Linux

Some suggestions?

Money back guarantee ?

Microsoft USB core Team ??????

Monday, February 28, 2011 3:24 PM

Same problem here with:
    Acer Aspire 4741-6258
    4 GB RAM

The same laptop works fine with Linux OpenSuse 11.4, with much higher speed USB transfer (25/33 MBs) compared to Windows 7 (5/15 MBs).
    With Linux I do not lose the USB devices with Windows 7 I've already had problems with two external hard drive: Iomega 500GB and LG 500GB, the same two drives worked perfectly with XP SP3 and Linux.

In summary:

Some suggestions?

Money back guarantee ?

hi ,

contact support , follow the link ' microsoft support ' in my signature

have a nice day

Thursday, March 3, 2011 2:58 AM

Same problem here with:
    Acer Aspire 4741-6258
    4 GB RAM

In summary:

Some suggestions?

Money back guarantee ?

hi ,

have a nice day

Dabur972:

What is the purpose of this forum? I thought it was to attempt to get solutions to problems. Are you part of Microsoft support? There are lots of people suffering from this problem and reporting it in this forum. I think we'd all like to see a common solution to a common problem. Going individually to support will not provide us with visibility of the fix. If taking it to support instead of this forum might help, can we assume there IS a fix available? If so, what is it?

I think we'd all like to keep this article. the similar problems being experienced and hopefully, the solution in a public place.

With regard to my earlier comment about transferring songs from iTunes to my iPhone, you seem to have missed the point. It's not about iTunes or the iPhone, it's about moving large amounts of data from the PC to a USB device. Look at all the comments from other people and you'll see that people are experiencing the same problems with external hard disks amongst other devices. So the problem is not with one application or one type of device.

What does it take to get this looked at again?

Monday, March 7, 2011 5:08 PM

Same problem here with:
    Acer Aspire 4741-6258
    4 GB RAM

In summary:

Some suggestions?

Money back guarantee ?

hi ,

have a nice day

Dabur972:

What is the purpose of this forum? I thought it was to attempt to get solutions to problems. Are you part of Microsoft support? There are lots of people suffering from this problem and reporting it in this forum. I think we'd all like to see a common solution to a common problem. Going individually to support will not provide us with visibility of the fix. If taking it to support instead of this forum might help, can we assume there IS a fix available? If so, what is it?

I think we'd all like to keep this article. the similar problems being experienced and hopefully, the solution in a public place.

With regard to my earlier comment about transferring songs from iTunes to my iPhone, you seem to have missed the point. It's not about iTunes or the iPhone, it's about moving large amounts of data from the PC to a USB device. Look at all the comments from other people and you'll see that people are experiencing the same problems with external hard disks amongst other devices. So the problem is not with one application or one type of device.

What does it take to get this looked at again?

hi ,

' problem reports and solutions ' , the more people that send the info the faster the software solutions providers may actually come up with something , ...

since most people have different computers with different software what might work for one may not for the other user , ... thats why the advice of contacting support on a case by case basis , ...

the other problem is the fact of memory usage , its not the fault of any company that the users have not enough memory in the comp (!)

the second main problem is the fact that apple refuses to work on the problem with ms (!!)

with usb two and a good hardware disk , usb sticks , etc , ... most people never have the problem , ... ( lacie has something nice , called ' usb boost ' )

problem reports and solutions can be found under the control panel , .... ( flag the option to send extra info when needed ) no private data is collected !!

also , the main problem is the fact that the percentage is to low , of people who give details , the support database has some solutions and some can be provided but due to the huge difference of problems and solutions its nearly impossible to provide a fix to include them all , ...

or a fix would have to be 1 gig in size to include all of them , .. and even then its not going sure that it will work for an other user , ...

onecare does have the options to fix some problems , checkdisk fixes most problems and so do updates , ...

this is the huge other problem , when there is a solution people dont install the updates or upgrades , .... !!

have a nice day

Monday, March 7, 2011 9:32 PM
  • fuck off the effing thing is still broke and this effing site freezes up IE so what the fuckj else is new. FO Microsuxs and your scripted answer kiddy BS
    I don't sign in much - I browse a lot - Post even less
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:30 PM
  • hi, i have the same problem as him, but i dont understand what did he meant by " still running 7100 " and also i didnt understood ur answer.. please help me my laptop is working very slow lately though it was very fast earlier.. !
    Monday, December 19, 2011 12:00 PM
  •  I Realise this issue goes back years, 2008 '09 maybe?. im not a tech guru but has anybody thought to look at clock and timing speeds in bios for over-clocking your CPU, ram and front side bus? i know on some nvidia based motherboards (who love making boards for over-clocking) overclocking one thing will throw off output levels of some others. I.E. usb timing and voltages. also AMD? didn't they have some type of fiasco of getting caught with thier undies down by factory over-clocking certain CPU's so they would appear as being faster then they really were to consumers? as noted by five different part numbers on same "type" model cpu. also power supplies? how many times ive looked in friends computers to see everything powered off only one rail of the PSU. as one poster mentioned fixing his problem by adding an odd amount of ram, when installing ram of different sizes or populating all four ram slots on some motherboards  will disable certain options of normal speed boosting some "matched pairs" that ram sticks have,,, 1T instead of 2T and some other timing settings for ram are cut back so they can handle all 4 sticks if slot 2 and 4 are used. also an idea ACPI in bios? and OS assigning IRQS for plug and play adapters. What im getting at is if the usb bus is running at an already altered state because of voltage, timing issues then when plugging in certain devices (on a system that appears stable) or overloading that controller by using more then one plug-in device, then that load will also effect the voltage and timings going to ram and CPU, which will also lock up a system pretty fast. Don't want to point the finger at microsoft, but i don't think its the OS, improving thier code and making hot-fixes can only help the issue. not that i'm a fan of the OS, i'm just to lazy to use linux. and it seems that all the solutions mentioned are in regard to slowing down your system, either by reducing amount of ram for system or other options to limit max performance ==== reducing load or making proccesses more efficient is great but i don't think its the source..

I actually ran into this thread because i know over-clocking inderectly affects usb voltage and timing. which is what i wanted to know about. I.E. if i overvolt the usb within safe limits will that increased voltage also affect usb network adapters in that i can achieve a higher Rx , Tx input output. different topic i know but, but after the 5th post and reading everyones problem i thought maybe they could be looking in the wrong place. and that the real problem isn't even what they think. I had an old home-made solid state drive about ten years ago that caused simslar problems. It would work fine on one system but lock-up another because some of the chips i used were already old and out of performance specs. near death. so when i would plug it into a sytem that it didn't like the voltage or timing of, it would kill the system.

EDIT: sorry for the one long sentence im not to savvy on punctuation. just an after thought of the post having an issue with apple I-tunes and thier i-pod. doesn't apple install a driver or something in the background when you install i-tunes? mobile device or AIR, not sure off hand but doesn't apple use that driver or software to Hijack usb ports so all thier propriatary crap devices can hand-shake or be compatable on many systems. even though not all PC's or even user's system host devices are the same. every other mobo manufacturer uses a different chip set right? 

• Edited by Orcutt67 Sunday, July 22, 2012 2:31 AM
    Sunday, July 22, 2012 1:38 AM
  • Hi Mark. I've had this issue forever and just found this hotfix today. I tried to install the patch but got answer " the update is not applicable for your pc "...

Should be.

Running Win 7 x64

Mobo Asus M2n32-sli deluxewhich runs on nvidia usb ehci chipset

And 8 gb of ram.

I tried your link but cannot find the:

"show hotfixes for all platforms and languages" link

Did they remove it? Any way around the automatic install?

I checked in the history and it's not installed yet.

Don't know what else to do

Friday, July 27, 2012 5:26 AM
  • It's not just Nvidia chipsets. It's across the board on Windows 7 x64 bit. We are a 911 call center and have several different PCs in use. All of dispatch has the same setup. Three office workers (including myself) have different systems, each unique. All have this issue. My PC is only 4 GB Ram (as is one of the other 3 office PCs), Dispatch is 8 GB and they have more occurrences. However, it happens to us all. The issue is not resolved, by far.

Monday, January 14, 2013 5:11 PM
  • Daniel DP, I totally agree. I'm also running 4GB (which MS utility says are in good shape), and continually encounter this failure whether the drives are both inboard SATAs or one is external (e.g., WD Passport). The chipset on my ASUS mobo is AMD 390GX/SB850.  Further details on my system at this thread:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/windows-7-slowdown-hang-on-file-copy/80c0ed9d-6884-4179-92ae-576e03803a2f

fingers crossed.

• Edited by Sorenden Saturday, January 19, 2013 10:21 AM
    Saturday, January 19, 2013 10:19 AM
  • I'm having the same problem and have had it since I installed Windows 7 on my machine. I'm on verge of switching to Mac or even Linux as this is a HUGE problem.

I have 16gigs of ram and use my box for 3d applications and have to transfer daily some 5 to 10 gigs of data. Windows has unfortunately made this impossible for me. Its amazing this has been happening since win7 first came out and this is still a huge problem in 2013. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Monday, February 25, 2013 1:34 AM