Server Manager Error - Server Manager is collecting inventory data. Wizard will be available after data collection finishes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

I have Windows Server 2012 Datacenter R2 hosted on VMware ESXI host. I am getting this error ' Server Manager is collecting inventory data. Wizard will be available after data collection finishes' whenever I try and click on Server Manager -> Add roles and Features tab.

Please help me trouble shoot same with some remedial actions.

Regards,

Ranjit

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 5:41 AM

Answers

• Hi Ranjit,

àServer Manager is collecting inventory data. Wizard will be available after data collection finishes

For this error message, we can get following description from this article: Windows Server 2012 - Server Manager Troubleshooting Guide, Part III: Common Events and Errors in Server Manager

Displayed   Error Message (in Task Details)

Error   Condition and Possible Causes

When you run the   Add Roles and Features Wizard to add roles to a server in the Server Manager   pool that is running a newer release of Windows Server, the following message   dialog box is displayed: "Server Manager is collecting inventory data.   The wizard will be available after data collection finishes."

Server Manager   cannot be used to manage servers that are running a newer release of Windows   Server than the release on which you are running Server Manager. Server   Manager running on Windows 8 as part of Remote Server Administration Tools   cannot be used to manage a server that is running Windows Server 2012 R2, for   example.

On current situation, please clean the Server Manager (path: Windows\system32\ServerManager\Cache) and check if can help you to solve this issue. In addition, please just restart the server and monitor the result. If this issue still exist, please open Event Viewer and check if find some relevant errors.

Please also refer to following thread and check if can help you.

windows 2012 server manager refresh failed.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Monday, March 9, 2015 7:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Tuesday, March 10, 2015 3:09 AM
    Friday, February 27, 2015 2:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Ranjit,

àServer Manager is collecting inventory data. Wizard will be available after data collection finishes

For this error message, we can get following description from this article: Windows Server 2012 - Server Manager Troubleshooting Guide, Part III: Common Events and Errors in Server Manager

Displayed   Error Message (in Task Details)

Error   Condition and Possible Causes

When you run the   Add Roles and Features Wizard to add roles to a server in the Server Manager   pool that is running a newer release of Windows Server, the following message   dialog box is displayed: "Server Manager is collecting inventory data.   The wizard will be available after data collection finishes."

Server Manager   cannot be used to manage servers that are running a newer release of Windows   Server than the release on which you are running Server Manager. Server   Manager running on Windows 8 as part of Remote Server Administration Tools   cannot be used to manage a server that is running Windows Server 2012 R2, for   example.

On current situation, please clean the Server Manager (path: Windows\system32\ServerManager\Cache) and check if can help you to solve this issue. In addition, please just restart the server and monitor the result. If this issue still exist, please open Event Viewer and check if find some relevant errors.

Please also refer to following thread and check if can help you.

windows 2012 server manager refresh failed.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Monday, March 9, 2015 7:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Tuesday, March 10, 2015 3:09 AM
    Friday, February 27, 2015 2:53 AM
  • Hi Justin, This did not solve the issue for me. 
    Thursday, November 3, 2016 9:12 PM
  • me either
    Monday, January 16, 2017 2:51 PM
  • quick Fix: 

open command prompt with admin rights and execute as below

cd C:\Windows\System32\wbem\AutoRecover

for /f %s in ('dir /b *.mof *.mfl') do mofcomp %s

Khan MCTS,MCSE Saudi Arabia

• Proposed as answer by W. Shima Friday, March 8, 2019 8:28 PM
    Sunday, April 23, 2017 10:39 AM
  • I saw this on another site/thread and it didn't work for another user and didn't work for me.
    Monday, June 12, 2017 5:38 PM
  • Thanks.

This worked for me.

Tuesday, August 1, 2017 7:45 PM
  • This method really works, and immediately i able to open Server Manager in Windows 2012 R2 running on VM.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 12:31 PM
  • I followed the above and it worked. Thank you very much!!!!
    Tuesday, April 17, 2018 2:48 AM
  • this worked for me on Server 2016!!  thanks.
    Thursday, February 7, 2019 8:12 PM
  • I am just gonna leave this here just in case that you encounter the same here in 2019!

what you have to do is that you need to reset your MOF files. When you run the command:

cd C:\Windows\System32\wbem\AutoRecover

You will see a list of results throwing by the MOF compiler. Check if you have errors in those results.

if you have errors you will need to open services.msc and stop the Windows Management Instrumentation service.

Then run the following commands

Winmgmt /salvagerepository %windir%\System32\wbem

Winmgmt /resetrepository %windir%\System32\wbem

Go back to the services.msc console and start the Windows Management Instrumentation service.

run the commands againscd C:\Windows\System32\wbem\AutoRecover

Cheers!

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 4:22 AM
  • BIG THX. This works perfect!!
    Sunday, April 14, 2019 10:52 AM
  • Thank You Very Much! worked like a charm!

Manny

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 9:43 PM