Windows Defender Errors RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello,

    I love Windows Vista! My faith in Microsoft has been restored. The only problem I am having is that I cannot update my Windows Defender defintitions. When Windows Update runs I get error code '80070005' There is no information about this and I am wondering how to resolve this.


    Monday, June 26, 2006 5:36 AM


All replies

  • There is a Windows Defender newsgroup that has a section dedicated to signatures and signature updates:



    More specifically, I found this possible explanation for the 80070005 error code in connection with Windows update:  http://www.wsuswiki.com/80070005

    Also, I found this posting that (although it does not address Vista specifically) may be useful to you:


    "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    > We're receiving the following error on a few of our WSUS client Win2k
    > servers.  We've consulted the document at http://www.wsuswiki.com/80070005
    > however each server looks clean.  Thanks.
    > 2006-06-22  08:27:17  1500  5e0 Setup FATAL: InstallUpdatedBinaries failed
    > with error 0x80070005

    To possibly revisit something you've already reviewed, but to reinforce the

    0x80070005 - ERROR ACCESS DENIED

    The most common cause for this error (in fact, the /only/ cause I've
    actually seen traced), is that the Automatic Updates service is not running
    with the LogOn set to the "Local System" account, thus AU cannot install the
    updates because it does not have the necessary system permissions.

    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MVP-Software Distribution
    Everything you need for WSUS is at
    And, eveything else is at


    Let us know if this helps.

    Thursday, June 29, 2006 5:03 PM
  • The correct answer for this issue is to set the permissions on the "windows defender" folder to Authenticated users=Full Control and check the Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries....etc,etc.
    Thursday, December 7, 2006 3:44 PM
  • where do i find the folder? under which part?
    Thursday, April 19, 2007 2:48 AM
  • Hey guy,

    I had this same problem and it drove me nuts.... I installed Zone Alarm free edition and it fixed the problem after install, I can now automatically update all my software again! Great!
    Friday, June 29, 2007 10:22 PM

    If you ever encounter an error code when updating Defender, here is a solution which will help you. This usually happens if the distribution database is broken and needs to be re-created.


    Here are the solutions to address the issue :
    1) As far as Vista goes (dont know if this applies to XP) you can do this by clicking start > all programs > windows updates> change settings > uncheck Automatic Updates, Uncheck Recommended Updates and uncheck use Microsoft Update Service. this will switch from Microsoft Update back to using Windows Update.
    Reboot. If it works for you fine; you can now reset the update settings to as they were earlier.
    2) I also came across this download from Microsoft (Vista/XP). This actually FORCES defender to update !
    3) Lastly if both above dont work, there is another way you can try this:
    Boot into safe mode. Find the folder named Software Distribution.
    Rename SoftwareDistribution to SoftwareDistribution.old OR Delete all its contents (FLUSH it !) Reboot. Now try to update the Defender (at this point a new SoftwareDistribution folder will be created if you have renamed it).







    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 4:28 PM
  • Similar issues with Windows Defender. Other Microsoft updates install OK. Error reported by windows update: "Failure Content Install Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070005: Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.19.2732.6)"


    Cause was Spybot Search & Destroy TSR (TeaTimer). I have not discovered exactly why yet, clash of the anti spyware vendors maybe?

    Friday, July 6, 2007 8:59 AM
  • I am having the same problems on my computer. I have Zone Alarm installed, and I do not think that is the issue. I am still unsure of what all of this means, so in lamens terms for the solution would be great!


    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 7:42 AM
  • Thank you! This was very helpful to me!


    I too have Spybot Search & Destroy installed.  I turned off TeaTimer and Windows Defender updated without issue.

    For now, I have re-enabled TeaTimer and made a note to turn it off when updating WD.  TeaTimer has provided a protection level I have enjoyed for some time.  I'm not ready to part with it due to an update conflict with WD Updates.


    Wednesday, October 3, 2007 5:39 PM